Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    No genre of music can ever die, and every genre of music has extremely shitty artists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seriously the stuff you kids these days consider metal is mind-boggling.

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeXan View Post
    Back in 2005-2006 I would find new bands every day , now im lucky if i can find a decent average band once every 3 months. Hell the new albums from previous good band are usually terrible.

Like in flames is a good example i mean i listen to it 5 times and got bored, lasted children of bodom album was good too more like 20 times but meh not great. Dream theater has been insanely crap since the last 2 i just gave up.

Last trivium album had 2 good songs.

Black Veil Brides 1st album was awesome and 2nd is a joke. Adept too

I was surprised by the awesomeness of Amon Amarth last album though.

I am so sick of trying to find band on youtube see there is 100 000 view and all it does is yell it completely hurt my ears and frustrate me.

Eh metal where are you.

Edit: forgot the tag but you can tell by the title name anyway.
    Devin townsend is the only musician i enjoy in the current metal scene.Wish there was more.Every other group that was good has either broken up in some shape or form or just changed to the point that they are not good.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    I have been reading this... and have to say...

Seriously, look at the big old metal thread that is going. Along with "Essential Metal Albums". On this site. Check out some different bands, be amazed, buy more metal.

Metal is NOT dead my friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

10+ Year Old Account
    Metal is alive and well, look harder.

Things I found these last 2 years I like include:

Before the Dawn - Deathstar
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L02_izAHFio

Solution .45 - Gravitational Lensing (Christian Älvestam's new band, Scar Symmetry's former singer)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOVj6l4C0PM

Amaranthe - Call Out My Name
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AedZ9ReH-Lk

Threat Signal - Comatose
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiJe2ZN1FIE

The Unguided - Pathfinder
    No YouTube links available, this band is very quick at getting them taken down, previews available on iTunes, Album title: "Hellfrost"

Still Remains - Reading Lips (new single, released January 1st 2012 - band just got back together after breaking up mid 2008 - new CD coming soon)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u2MfhwJxKc

Amon Amarth - Destroyer of the Universe (one album you yourself listed)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weOAFTBPgQo

Illidiance - Breaking the Limits
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0P7vLiiCS8

Sybreed - A.E.O.N.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2pMVAgTdiE

I think that's enough for now.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2012-01-15 at 07:03 AM.

Back around 2005-2008 I was in a metal band and the music scene was absolutely booming, we were playing shows almost every night of the week all over the country(UK), kids would come out in droves to see us, and many other metal bands, good or bad. It was just the thing you did, you went out to see bands (and a bit of underage drinking too, to be fair).

Nowadays the live music scene has died down a lot, many of us have got older too and moved on to other forms of music and other things in life, not because we're selling out but because we just discover new directions, joined new bands etc. But metal is not dead, absolutely not, but I do think it has been over the hill compared to the boom of metal that happened a couple years back.

I'm currently in a band that makes music with a progressive metal influence, but with a lighter singing approach (no screaming or heavy vocals) and some electronic sounds too, using structures that have similarities with pop music. Personally I really enjoy it, perhaps as much or more than the proper metal I made back when I was a bit younger during that 2005-2008 time.

With that said, let me know what you think. And if there are any UK singers on these forums, we're looking for one.

The thing is, metal is one of those genres that are mainly marketed for the teenagers and people in their twenties. I'm not saying that metal is for kids, but it just requires a certain mood. Atleast for me. It might be that you're just phasing out of metal, like you phased out of many things in the past.

What I'm saying that in those 3 - 4 years it's not metal that's changed. It's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Katoamaton View Post
    What I'm saying that in those 3 - 4 years it's not metal that's changed. It's you.
    QFT, this is exactly what happened to me. When I was younger I listened to many Death Metal/Deathcore/Black Metal bands. Somehow the mood of the music was fitting. But with a little more age on my back,I rarely listen to those bands anymore,only when I'm feeling like trashing the house

Deleted
    Im sorry I had to make an account just so I could post this and prove you wrong xD www youtube com/ watch?v=qR7U1HIhxfA

Deleted
    If a album is rated 3.5+ on this site it's a solid one. There are 100 records with a rating of 3.7+ in this list; Sputnikmusic.com Metal charts 2011: http://www.sputnikmusic.com/charts.p...id=4&year=2011

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Metal is bigger than ever. Fact.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Metal dead?

Metal is immortal because of Gamma Ray...

Seriously that guy is an alien I swear...
    Camilla: You, sir, should unmask.
    Stranger: Indeed?
    Cassilda: Indeed, it's time. We have all laid aside disguise but you.
    Stranger: I wear no mask.
    Camilla: (Terrified, aside to Cassilda.) No mask? No mask!

OP needs lessons in what subjectivity and objectivity mean.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends how you mean metal is dead? If you mean commercially, then I might agree with you. I know metal has never really been commercial its always been kind of sidelined compared to other music genres. What Rock music as a whole needs is a revival or boom period, the 70['s and 90's had a period of mainstream metal even in the charts.

I think if you want to make metal that way again do something about it, go promote the genre and explain why its so hot, get some backing, start a petition, get someone in the music industry to latch onto it and put it out there and get people interested, trust me we need another Rock revival right now judging from all the crap filling up the album and singles charts right now

Deleted
    Yay, a thread about metal! Wait ... what are those bands? Never heard about most them.

It seems that for the whole time, I wasn't actually listening to metal. So I'll just leave this here and go away again.

On-topic: I've found out that when searching for new bands/albums, it's actually better to go backwards to the past.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Have a listen to that i don't think the genre is dead at all. including sub genres.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like it's what you're listening to. The bands you listed have all been more or less horrible since their conception. Either venture forth into the underground, or be stuck listening to the same BS most mall-metal kids listen to when they're 12.

it's not dead just not main stream. It took me some time to discover metal as I had only MTV.

but I listen nothing else now. and there are crap loads of different types of metal. New Metal the one they show on MTV, is pretty much on the rise. "Link Park, good Charlot and other stuff I am not really interested in."

If metal had as MUch Screen time as Britny Spearzes it would be a different story. Main Stream Media decides what masses like.

Any sort of provocative and anti establishment music is forbidden now days.
    Kenny gona die tonight!!!

Deleted
    Well... Here's a bunch of good (melodeathish) metal bands.

Insomnium, Eluveitie, Before the Dawn, In Mourning, Be'lakor, Ghost Brigade, Sybreed, Mors Principium Est, Scar Symmetry, The Project Hate MCMXCIX, Farmakon, Ensiferum, Omnium Gatherum, Kalmah, Black Comedy, Bloodwork, Gwynbleidd, Noumena, Fragments of Unbecoming, Nahemah, Black Sun Aeon, Mercenary, Universum, Sylosis, Dawn of Solace, Persefone, The Few Against Many, Skyfire, Quo Vadis, Dagon, Draconian

Good bands without harsh vocals:

Redemption, Wolverine, Evergrey, Star One, Ayreon, Andromeda, Alestorm, Katatonia, Paradise Lost, Pathosray, Silent Memorial, Myrath, Mind Key, Spheric Universe Experiment, Mind's Eye, Circus Maximus, Blotted Science (instrumental), Darkwater

You'll hopefully be able to find something good in there!

Metal is just a word and many people will define it differently. To me the old metal is 'hardrock', while I call the newer stuff 'metal'. Everything changes, even music. Embrace it. Lots of good bands listed in this thread! Awesome stuff.