Can you transfer a movie from a DVD to an iPod?

So the other day I found my copy of American History X that I've been searching for. I just love this movie and was wondering if I could put it on my iPod without buying it though iTunes. I think it should be possible since you can import music to your iTunes library that you got elsewhere. I mean, that wouldn't be illegal would it? I bought the movie and I have it on DVD, I just don't want to buy it again to get it on my iPod. Now, obviously if it is possible, it's going to be a pain to convert, so can anyone walk me though this or give me a link to somewhere that can? Thanks in advance

+1 for American History X. One of my favorite films.

As for putting DVD's on Apple products, a quick google search led me to WinX DVD Ripper: http://www.winxdvd.com/dvd-ripper/

Downloadable for free, supposed to work.

Here's a video tutorial with tons of related links on the side: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdehbh2wTBY

I believe typical ITunes purchases are .m4v files.

-Judge

Deleted
    yes you can, however it is illegal to rip a dvd onto your computer :P but if thats not stopping you use your favourite search engine and search away for a dvd ripper. Once you have it on your pc its just a case of putting into a usable format for your ipod (think it takes MP4 but dont quote me on it) and convert it to that

You need to check for your ipod specific at which quality rendering it can display it. I know some files cannot be shown on ipod classics but can on the ipod touch.
    And note that I am not talking about the extension but the actual rendering quality.

For ipads it is again different, they display much higher quality then both the touch and classic. But those are more difficult to set up on your TV (the classic only needs a 3 tulip - forgot the name- connection).