Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    It can't be that difficult. I mean, Swtor is bring us Australian servers in March, a game like GW2 which will undoubtedly make more money than Swtor or even WoW has no excuse really. On top of the fact that latency plays a prime role in GW2 what with dodging and such, it'll be a bit disheartening if there aren't any. Cmon Arenanet, buck the trend, please?

SWTOR is getting Australian servers, based on that I think GW2 will follow.

we usually use the agency to connect to game

Quote Originally Posted by Neglesh View Post
    'Ello.

Does anyone have any information if there will\might be Australian servers?! I know WoW doesn't because I heard Telstra charge too much? I don't really know the full story, but that's another thread. Runes of Magic is a free to play MMO and even that has Australian servers - it's nice playing with 30 ping, I can tell you that.

If anyone has information on Australian servers you have my thanks

EDIT: When I mean Australian servers - I mean PROPER Oceanic ones. Not the unofficial ones!

Also feel free to discuss anything server related, within the forum rules
    caelstrasz is a good oceanic server, a lot of people from eastern melbourne on there (melbourne, cairns, gold coast, nsw)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tilatequila View Post
    caelstrasz is a good oceanic server, a lot of people from eastern melbourne on there (melbourne, cairns, gold coast, nsw)
    Proudmoore > Caelstrasz

Also, this is a GW2 thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Proudmoore > Caelstrasz

Also, this is a GW2 thread
    Oh woops derp moment haha. And O: no caelstrasz is best! atleast it wasback in tbc / wotlk (:

Quote Originally Posted by cherich View Post
    we usually use the agency to connect to game
    What in the world is the agency? i've never heard of such a thing.

Yeah played on Nagrand/Thaurissan (spelling) for my 5 years of game time - met some nice people while there etc.

But I mean, if SWTOR can release Auzzie servers then I really hope GW2 will

Please, just for ONCE give us some god damn love!

10+ Year Old Account
    This is, was and always will be Blizzards excuse , but as this article states (btw Telstra is the largest but not the best Aussie ISP) Internode /iinet have both offered numerous times to host Aussie servers, but for whatever reason Blizzard seem to only want to deal with Telstra , which is silly, Internode (now owned by iinet) but back then was independant and one of the popular ISP (used to be with them myself) and where recently brought out by iinet, but we do have more than one option. And if EA/BW and others can do it, why cant Blizz.. who(i assume) make more money than BW/Anet together (at the moment ) anyway i hope Anet does look at other options for Aussies

This is Blizz response for no Aussie servers. (from 2010)

The biggest problem right now is the number one ISP in Australia,” said World of Warcraft production director J. Allen Brack at Blizzard’s BlizzCon conference in the US over the weekend, responding to a question from local site AusGamers.

Brack reportedly said Blizzard’s main difficulty with the ISP – Telstra – was that any traffic routed outside of Australia by the telco had to go through its fibre connection to San Diego. He appeared to imply this created headaches for players connecting to Blizzard’s new regional datacentre in Singapore.

The developer noted he felt bad for Australian players, and said the issue was something he had met with Blizzard’s IT staff two weeks ago to discuss.

The news comes six months after Brack made similar comments in April, saying the Australian situation was something that was discussed within Blizzard on a regular basis. In addition, it comes just several months after Blizzard – reversed the unpopular decision to block Australian StarCraft II players from playing on US servers.

The company had been facing a wave of dissent from Australian players furious about its original decision to block local gamers from playing against their friends overseas by locking them into playing through a new server in Singapore set up to serve the South-East Asian region as a whole.

National broadband player Internode has discussed the need for an Australian World of Warcraft server with iconic game publisher Blizzard “for many years”, the company’s managing director Simon Hackett said in April. However the talks have gotten nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherrysoul View Post
    SNIP

Good little read but if other ISP's have offered then what the hell is wrong with Blizzard?

Blizzards sucks, ANet for president.

I hope they do local servers on other continents too....I dislike the idea of having a high ping because I live a country with the worst internet in the EU.

I could go in to a lot of details on why but long story short.

Bandwidth isn't to dear as it once was now in Australia, and now with iinet/internode having there own data centers it's quit possible to host MMO servers on the east coast of Aus.

Like someone said all ready that if SW:ToR ( EA/Bioware ) are putting servers here then I'm willing to bet Guild Wars 2 will do the same.

On the Blizzard side of things, it's Blizzard they are money hungry and if something doesn't make them a over 9000% return they will not do it now.(Thanks to Activision )
    But then again if they only wanted Telstra to host them, knowing Telstra and how much they like to be a rip off they would of quoted a crazy price to host servers in WoW.

I remember that we had an unofficial post a few years back from someone who worked at Telstra who said pretty much what i just said about Telstra. ( At the end it was Telstra's fault since they wanted to be in control of the WoW servers as well, and charging an arm and a leg )

Quote Originally Posted by Zazajin View Post
    I hope they do local servers on other continents too....I dislike the idea of having a high ping because I live a country with the worst internet in the EU.
    Try living in China

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roar-Powah View Post
    On the Blizzard side of things, it's Blizzard they are money hungry and if something doesn't make them a over 9000% return they will not do it now.(Thanks to Activision )
    But then again if they only wanted Telstra to host them, knowing Telstra and how much they like to be a rip off they would of quoted a crazy price to host servers in WoW.

I remember that we had an unofficial post a few years back from someone who worked at Telstra who said pretty much what i just said about Telstra. ( At the end it was Telstra's fault since they wanted to be in control of the WoW servers as well, and charging an arm and a leg )
    Yes this is true, but i do no understand why Blizz wont look at cheaper options they have had Internode and iinet in there face for years, but Blizz seem to have the mentality that they would only use Telstra as it is the Biggest i guess, but certainly not the best. Such as AT&T is i assume for America, they just dont seem to be willing to be flexible, its like Nope Telstra only stuff other decent ISP's who are practically begging to host our servers.. just does not make Customer satisfaction , business sense... imho

Meh each to their own.

15+ Year Old Account
    I played WoW for years at 500ms because the internet in Perth is pathetic at best. I had to use a tunneling program just to get down to 200 ms and the change was dramatic. I can only but hope that there will be Aussie servers as I want to do as well in GW2 as possible, If not I'll have to shell out more money to way for a tunneling service.

Quote Originally Posted by Abominator View Post
    I played WoW for years at 500ms because the internet in Perth is pathetic at best. I had to use a tunneling program just to get down to 200 ms and the change was dramatic. I can only but hope that there will be Aussie servers as I want to do as well in GW2 as possible, If not I'll have to shell out more money to way for a tunneling service.
    Same here mate. I'm in Victoria but I used the "Leatrix" fix and it went down to about 200 and 180 in quiet places.

Jesus I am craving GW2 Auzzie servers.

One server is not one datacentre. All of North America is served by four datacentres (so a bit over 100 million per datacentre). You needs massive infrastructure and staff to service a datacentre. Australia is slightly over half the size of California. It's not an unreasonable decision. Games are not non-profit organizations.

15+ Year Old Account
    i played on Cael for years, it's basically dead now from what i've heard, all my old friends who still play don't play there anymore, the oceanic servers are definitely some of the first realms to die off when the population is dropping
    Unfortunately, until the people at Blizzard take time to quit explaining why they are right and anyone who disagrees is wrong, they are not going to even hear everyone speaking out desperately trying to warn them the ship is sinking.
    the problems driving players from WoW aren't content or the age of the game, the problem is how the game experience and design philosophy are being undermined by Blizzard's hubris and greed.

Quote Originally Posted by Baygon View Post
    i played on Cael for years, it's basically dead now from what i've heard, all my old friends who still play don't play there anymore, the oceanic servers are definitely some of the first realms to die off when the population is dropping
    Majority probably rage quit because of Ping :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Abominator View Post
    Yeah trying to play competitively on games when you live in Perth just sucks I for one hope they have Australian based servers on GW2.