Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    I doubt it. Perhaps Synthaxx can confirm. In either case, I feel we are derailing Milkshake's thread a bit.
    Im cool with it. It was more of a conversation hub than a heavily centered post. By all means continue the deliberation.

Try using linx to test stability.
    Religion is like a penis.
    It's fine to have one.
    It's fine to be proud of it.
    But please, don't whip it out in public and wave it around,
    And please, don't try to shove it down my children's throats.

Well I am open to trying new stress test's and all but stability is not the issue. The tremendous leap in Vcore is.

10+ Year Old Account
    No matter how cool you keep the cpu, high voltage being run through the chip will still degrade the chip. Still doesn't mean its not fun to hit 5ghz :3, ivy-bridge should bring 5ghz at lower volts more common, but then again you will be seeing more people aiming for 5.5ghz or something . the few people at 5ghz iv seen are all pushing 1.4v and higher i dont think iv seen anyone with lower. Got to risk it for the biscuit.

Im fairly certain the die shrink will actually initially make overclocking to 5ghz a bit more tricky. On a side and completely irrelevant note the 64bit ptr client is nice

I5-2500k here stable 4.9ghz 1.44v, water cooled though. Could not get adequate temps with air coolers, although I did not try the noctua.

Deleted
    Well, as tetris said, k-model Sandy Bridge chips will most likely hit a voltage-cap before hitting a temperature-cap. Running 1.44V isn't insane, but the chip doesn't exactly like it. Even with adequate heat dissipation, the chip will degrade over time.

Well, as tetris said, k-model Sandy Bridge chips will most likely hit a voltage-cap before hitting a temperature-cap. Running 1.44V isn't insane, but the chip doesn't exactly like it. Even with adequate heat dissipation, the chip will degrade over time.
    And by that time ... ill buy the next gen CPU. I mean I change my CPU every 2 years so, running my chip at 1.48v for everyday usage isnt a problem for me...my CPU run stable with this voltage and temps are fine so whats the big deal ?! I know some chip wont run at all with this kind of voltage but mine does and running fine for the last 6month, if it was degrading .. im pretty sure i couldnt run at it at this kind of voltage already.
    Last edited by DarkBlade6; 2012-01-16 at 11:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    Im fairly certain the die shrink will actually initially make overclocking to 5ghz a bit more tricky. On a side and completely irrelevant note the 64bit ptr client is nice
    Depends on how well the new gate logic handles higher voltage, graphene based CPUs can easily hit 150 GHz, and they are roughly a 6nm process

IBM has also released 5 GHz quad core processors, but these are mainly for CPU farm super computers

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    And by that time ... ill buy the next gen CPU. I mean I change my CPU every 2 years so, running my chip at 1.48v for everyday usage isnt a problem for me...my CPU run stable with this voltage and temps are fine so whats the big deal ?! I know some chip wont run at all with this kind of voltage but mine does and running fine for the last 6month, if it was degrading .. im pretty sure i couldnt run at it at this kind of voltage already.
    My comment wasn't directed towards you (or "GG you got me"), it was just a general remark.

My comment wasn't directed towards you (or "GG you got me"), it was just a general remark.
    Wouldn't worry about it. You're right regarding the voltage. Actually dropped back to 4.5ghz because I don't think I play anything cpu bound enough (shogun 2 maybe?) to really justify pushing as close to 5ghz as I was. Was mostly just an overclock for fun, since a quad core at 4.9 ghz when you compare it to where cpu's were at 10 years ago, is just neat.

youtube.com/watch?v=zUc6znC848o

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rico9240 View Post
    youtube.com/watch?v=zUc6znC848o
    As impressive as that is (especially on a P4), people have been able to reach 5.77GHz with a Sandy bridge chip on air.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post12845544

10+ Year Old Account

Lowest I can get 5GHz with

Temps peak around 55-57C on load. Technically its safe until 1.52v as long as you can cool it but meh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doubt it. I render to H.264 .mp4 format at around 7Mbit/s which means that a 8 minute clip (which I believe is what I used when I tested) is around 400Mb. Considering that my HDD can handle Fraps without issues (i.e. ~75Mb/s) it should have no issue to write that 400Mb file in the ~10 minutes it takes to render.
    Pushing my 3930K from stock to 4.5 decreased render/compilation times a little, not massive amounts, but enough that I noticed it and would shave minutes of a very large file.
    Digital Rumination
    Plays: Sylvanas EU - Fierae (Druid) | HotS | EVE | PUBG
    Played: Rift | Guild Wars 2 | SW:TOR | BF4 | Smite | LoL | Skyrim
    Ryzen 1920X - 32GB - 980Ti SLI - PCIE NVMe 1GB SSD - Enthoo Primo - Full WC - 4K