Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    It has no appeal.
    Its different from wow in some aspects. a lot of the problem people complain about wow such as leveling being easy, not enough to do, every one getting the same reward regardless what they do and at what difficulty or no exploration etc. rift does not suffer from that yet unless offcourse if the player is extremely hard core.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Because it was terrible? The story was beyond boring and generic, as were the races, I disliked the graphics severly. The only thing I liked was their soul system.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Saft View Post
    graphics were ugly and the I wanted to kill myself after the first 25 levels.
    Have you tried setting it up to maximum? having it set it on ultra, does not set it to maximum, you have to manually do it on custom setting.

Deleted
    Hi,

I think there are a lot of wow players that did "try" Rift. And i think thats your answer. The game brings nothing new. More or less same class/spec. Yes you get more talent trees - but at the end of the day its just a talent tree. The ONLY thing in game i found interesting was the public group option - just a LFG upgrade so nothing new. And i think thats whole reason why people go there try it out and just come back to wow - community you know and you are used to. There is only one foreseeable reason for lots of wow players to go to different MMO - its Blizz coming out with next MMO (Titan?). If you find something revolutionary out there please let us know!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Because it was terrible? The story was beyond boring and generic, as were the races, I disliked the graphics severly. The only thing I liked was their soul system.
    The story at the beginning, seemed generic religion vs. science vs an evil dude. But a major patch has already happened. theres more lore to draw upon in the story. Much better than the beginning. More features have been released, so you might want to give it another try and try to get to 50. Lore is much developed for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    Doubt anyone can create anything new any more. But rift does give flexibility of doing things at your pace and being rewarded by what you do (different reward for everything). Since, people were complaining about every one getting everything the same, rift would be a good game to try.
    Of course it's possible to create something new, it's that kind of attitude most people have when it comes to businessideas etc. Many people go like "oh man, must've been so easy to become rich in the 50s, so many of the companies that exists today didnt exist then, and that idea was so easy to come up with". Being innovative isnt easy, but it's possible.

There are many reasons more WoW players are not trying Rift. One is that Trion, while a great company, made a mistake in their marketing - they marketed aggressively which is good, but they put themselves in too much of an 'anti-wow' stance. Slogans like 'we are not in Azeroth anymore' really put Rift in direct opposition to WoW, meaning many WoW players, who may have tried it otherwise, stayed with WoW out of loyalty and out of the completely understandable feeling that Rift was trying too hard to be a WoW killer when it obviously would not be. The aim to make many WoW players question why they still play WoW had an adverse effect. They still did a good job - getting a huge number of early subs and are running strong now, but that is what i think was at the root of their failure.

In addition, after the initial marketing surge, their advertising sort of fell down a bit. I support Rift (although i do not play it at the moment) but even i thought that they looked a bit desperate when i saw ads offering the game for about 6 pounds (as a 'weekend sale' which happened pretty much every weekend and most weeks). I know they are not desperate at all, but they do sort of appear such to those not following them - so many WoW players who visit this site and see that add may think to themselves that it has failed already.

Last, many WoW players just enjoy WoW, and have no interest in trying another MMO. I personally think that by far the majority of these would like other MMOs better if 1, they gave it a serious try and 2, so did their friends, but that is unlikely to happen on a large scale.

I personally think Rift would be doing much better if its larger content patches were actually maybe given a small article or two on the front page of this site - it would get WoW players thinking and talking about Rift, which would invariably lead to some changing, and them leaving would then lead to many more trying it again (or for the first time). It wouldn't make a HUGE difference, but it would certainly bring Rift back into the minds of WoW players. I don't think Boub cares too much about Rift though, even if he doesn't dislike it specifically.

One last thing - the levelling SUCKS. Trion knows this, veteran players know it, its no secret, and Trion have made the levelling fast enough that one can gloss through it in about 2 days. New players starting do not know this, however, and feel the suckitude of the levelling precedes suckitude at end game, wheras in actuality endgame is all Trion focuses on, and they have done it very, very well.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

Quote Originally Posted by Akteon View Post
    Hi,

I think there are a lot of wow players that did "try" Rift. And i think thats your answer. The game brings nothing new. More or less same class/spec. Yes you get more talent trees - but at the end of the day its just a talent tree. The ONLY thing in game i found interesting was the public group option - just a LFG upgrade so nothing new. And i think thats whole reason why people go there try it out and just come back to wow - community you know and you are used to. There is only one foreseeable reason for lots of wow players to go to different MMO - its Blizz coming out with next MMO (Titan?). If you find something revolutionary out there please let us know!

Thanks
    I don't know what you consider revolutionary. The game is more different than it was before when its first released. A major patch has passed. More features have been implamented. Might want to check out the website to get better idea. game provides flexibility with different reward for each

---------- Post added 2012-01-16 at 08:27 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Migey View Post
    There are many reasons more WoW players are not trying Rift. One is that Trion, while a great company, made a mistake in their marketing - they marketed aggressively which is good, but they put themselves in too much of an 'anti-wow' stance. Slogans like 'we are not in Azeroth anymore' really put Rift in direct opposition to WoW, meaning many WoW players, who may have tried it otherwise, stayed with WoW out of loyalty and out of the completely understandable feeling that Rift was trying too hard to be a WoW killer when it obviously would not be. The aim to make many WoW players question why they still play WoW had an adverse effect. They still did a good job - getting a huge number of early subs and are running strong now, but that is what i think was at the root of their failure.

In addition, after the initial marketing surge, their advertising sort of fell down a bit. I support Rift (although i do not play it at the moment) but even i thought that they looked a bit desperate when i saw ads offering the game for about 6 pounds (as a 'weekend sale' which happened pretty much every weekend and most weeks). I know they are not desperate at all, but they do sort of appear such to those not following them - so many WoW players who visit this site and see that add may think to themselves that it has failed already.

Last, many WoW players just enjoy WoW, and have no interest in trying another MMO. I personally think that by far the majority of these would like other MMOs better if 1, they gave it a serious try and 2, so did their friends, but that is unlikely to happen on a large scale.

I personally think Rift would be doing much better if its larger content patches were actually maybe given a small article or two on the front page of this site - it would get WoW players thinking and talking about Rift, which would invariably lead to some changing, and them leaving would then lead to many more trying it again (or for the first time). It wouldn't make a HUGE difference, but it would certainly bring Rift back into the minds of WoW players. I don't think Boub cares too much about Rift though, even if he doesn't dislike it specifically.

One last thing - the levelling SUCKS. Trion knows this, veteran players know it, its no secret, and Trion have made the levelling fast enough that one can gloss through it in about 2 days. New players starting do not know this, however, and feel the suckitude of the levelling precedes suckitude at end game, wheras in actuality endgame is all Trion focuses on, and they have done it very, very well.
    The leveling system seems sucky if you have not played mmos other than wrath wow. Its kinda mix in between grindyness of linage and final fantasy types and easiness of wow. A lot of players seems to complain in these forums about leveling being too easy. For them, rift should be the perfect game.

---------- Post added 2012-01-16 at 08:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Farora View Post
    It doesn't differ enough from wow to switch. If you are done with wow, it's pretty likely you won't enjoy Rift either.

The only MMO that I will try out other than wow is GW2. Because that looks pretty innovative and because MoP will push me away from wow.
    Rift differs vastly if the people who are complaining/ quiting wow for the reason they are stating in the forum. If you are just bored of wow, however, you will be bored of rift quickly. Still, giving a try would be a good idea, might even like it.

Deleted
    I loved Warhammer online but the complete and utter lack of development killed it, they release patches even slower then blizzard. Rift took everything i loved from warhammer, everything i loved from WoW and mashed them together while delivering content at an insane rate.

I think the problem is that people go into playing it with a negative attitude "Guardian and Defiant? LOL HORDE AND ALLIANCE", "SOUL RECALL? OMFG HEARTHSTONE LOL" and i do feel that's partly down to how rift advertised the game. I get the feeling that rift will release an expansion soon and put a decent amount of advertisement out about it to make people realise that it's still around, is doing fine and is getting major content patches every 2 months (or less). People dont want to play a game that's dieing and the general consensus seems to be that if anything has a population lower than WoW (or even if it is wow lol) then it's dieing or dead and spread it around as if it's gospel.

I do recommend people try it, even the community is amazing, ask a question in general and watch as people actually answer you instead of saying "l2google" or call you a noob.

The problem with Rift and that other MMO, is that they aren't WoW. I've tried other MMO's during the course of the time I've played WoW, but each and every one has been a mediocre version of WoW. WoW isn't perfect, but in order for me to either quit WoW or at the very least spend some non-raid nights playing another MMO, it has to bring something new and awesome to the table.

WoW is like the iPad. It has been around for a while which means there are a lot of apps (addons), a good support network, websites dedicated to it so information is easy accessible, etc. It is very hard to just stop and go to another game and spend another X amount of months/years dealing with them fixing their issues. Personally, I don't have the time to play like I used to so my tolerance for bugs and the game being broken or boring or whatever isn't what it used to be.

People who have played WoW for a long time have some big expectations for a new game and I haven't found one that has delivered.

becasue i don't want to be stuck in another mmorpg. it's the same reason as to why i'm not going to try swtor out.

Quote Originally Posted by Altam View Post
    And based on your description of it, I don't really see the appeal either. Alt unfriendly, leveling process is grindy, raids have less bosses.
    This, so much this.

Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    The question was directed toward the people who were complaining about wow. There more content to do in rift compared to wow, since you don't always start current tier every patch.
    This is only really true if you raid. Or, I suppose, if you consider world events entertaining and compelling enough to last you between patches. The addition of Ember Isle was the first new content I was able to partake in, and even that wasn't even meant for players like me, i.e. the undergeared.

There no real need for alts looking at wow through expansions. Alts became popular in Lich king when the leveling was easy but content was slow and less. You did the same thing with different toons. With the content development in rift so far, alts will not be missed (i think).
    Wrong. I have a 50 of each class and none of them play particularly similar to each other, unless you want to argue that Clerics are basically gimp mages and all melee is inherently the same. While the soul system was, in theory, a great way to cut down on the desire to have alts it still doesn't encompass everything. Honestly, I think they would have done better to have no callings and every ascended had access to every soul.

By grindy i meant, its not wow easy but not as hard as linage grind.
    Never played Lineage, but Rift is the most grindy MMO I've played in... possibly ever? At first it seemed reminiscent of vanilla WoW or even BC, but honestly I'm beginning to think it's worse, a lot worse. I believe this person said it best:

"Rift is the least casual friendly game I have played in recent times.

There is very little to no secondary progression methods for casual players or anyone who doesn't raid. There is little to no advancement available for casuals or anyone who doesn't raid. There is little to no content for anyone who doesn't raid.

There is a a reason even those raiders such as myself raid log after each raid. You can only farm so many PA levels before you want to stab your eyes out with the lack of alternative content."

"A good portion of the reason trion is loosing players left and right is because Rift for all intents and purposes is soley a raid game. After raiding rift offers little to no content or reasoning to stay logged on."

I would wager anyone who loved the Wrath days of WoW probably won't enjoy Rift for those reasons. People who thought vanilla and/or BC were the golden years of WoW might.

I reached the level cap and quit soon after. Its not a bad game but theres just not enough different about it.

Deleted
    I tried it for a few weeks, I just feel that its abit to slow phased or so? I cant really put the finger on it tbh.

Wasn't nearly as good as the hype, I played it a bit on a friend's account wasn't impressed at all. I was expecting far more from what people were saying you can do versus what the game actually is...

Never bought it, glad I didn't either. Waste of money.

I was told by a couple people who I value their opinion, especially on MMO's because they play a lot or at least try almost all of the new ones and they said it was nice but almost exactly the same, so I find it pointless to try it personally.

The only other MMO I have EVER been interested in, like seriously interested in is Star Wars: The Old Republic and I cannot play that because I am on a Mac and do not have a PC right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottishpaladin View Post
    I liked Rift, although the FPS issues I was having with it led me to re-install WoW
    I won't uninstall that game ever again..... So many patches...... (cries in corner).

Deleted
    ive tried a trial of it and i didnt like it, here is why:

- you could only pick one side per server
    - you had like 6 orso talent trees or soul trees whatever at the same time you had to put points in
    - i could only level to 20 but that was ok, i went to a vendor to check mount prices and they where over a million gold or something silly like that
    - my ranger has a very ugly looking pet compared to a warrior pet and you couldnt tame any other pets, you where stuck with that
    - you could barely walk into a world or youd get those rift things, even if you wherent the right level and most of the times died as a leel 10 orso by level 25 mobs from rifts

because its basically wow with better graphics and dynamic events, and people just dont want to give up characters they put so much time into for an identical game

---------- Post added 2012-01-16 at 02:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zenora View Post
    ive tried a trial of it and i didnt like it, here is why:

- you could only pick one side per server
    - you had like 6 orso talent trees or soul trees whatever at the same time you had to put points in
    - i could only level to 20 but that was ok, i went to a vendor to check mount prices and they where over a million gold or something silly like that
    - my ranger has a very ugly looking pet compared to a warrior pet and you couldnt tame any other pets, you where stuck with that
    - you could barely walk into a world or youd get those rift things, even if you wherent the right level and most of the times died as a leel 10 orso by level 25 mobs from rifts
    1. you can pick both sides with a full account on the same server
    2. what? you didnt have to buy the second dual spec feature right off the bat lol
    3. typical of trials, also what? its 100plat for the level 50 mount, and only like 10 or 20 at level 20
    4. then go warrior?
    5. thats the whole point of the game, you dont have to do them either
    Last edited by Bluey111; 2012-01-16 at 02:30 PM.

WoW players do not understand Rift. I can make paragraph after paragraph about how Blizzard used to be one way and now they act a completely different way, but it is pointless. Rift beyond a shadow of a doubt should have proved to Blizzard that WoW players want same old same old. The good news is there are enough people..roughly 200k+ who think like me keeping the game going strong.

So if you guys are wondering why Bioware took the approach of a non dynamic world where nothing much changes and at end game you are funneled into cities there is your reasoning. Trust me half the stuff I see WoW players ask for and then get denied or called trolls makes Rift players die laughing.

The part that almost make me cry laughing is WoW players do not realize players from your top guilds test our raid content. Infernal Dawn is being released sometime this month or early next month and WoW raiders utterly bored with Deathwing already will enjoy it.

WoW players have almost guaranteed a few things will never exist in mmo's again after what they pulled in Rift. Do not be surprised if Bioware and ArenaNET tell you guys to sit on a finger and rotate on some of the stuff you guys want.

I just quit WoW yesterday. Got the last achievement I have always wanted. Sulfuraus Hand of Ragnaros.

I played Rift while I was still in love with WoW I liked the game a lot but I played the first 3 weeks I could not find it much fun because I was lonely while playing it. I might reactivate my account and try a whole new character just until Guild Wars 2 atleast. I am debating it but have not decided yet.