[ANIME] Gundam Series - What season should I start watching?

Hello guys,

I love Mecha animes. Evangelion, Grendizer, gunbuster etc etc but for some reason I have never had the chance to watch Gundam. There is A TON of seasons dating from the 70s.

Some help where to get started? Preferably from season 1 onwards.

Thanks!

Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny. After those watch Gundam 00 and Gundam 00 season 2. those 4 are the best imo. Im pretty sure they dont have seasons, i wanna say its like final fantasy and its in the same world but different story but im probably wrong

IMO it is best to watch some of the newer series and movies before watching the really old stuff. The animation for the original(s) are very dated and might be a turn off without prior interest. Anyway I'd suggest watching a standalone series like 8th MS Team, X or the more recent series like Seed, OO, Unicorn etc before tackling MS Gundam, Zeta and the original UC universe. Turn A Gundam is also quite good (I'd even say it is one of the best) but isn't in the mold of a typical Gundam anime. Probably should avoid that as well for your first. In general the older stuff are considered superior to the newer Gundam series but the newer series are more palatable.

p.s. Macross is also a good mecha series if you like the genre. However for this one I would suggest watching from the beginning.
    Last edited by Jinto; 2012-01-16 at 05:13 PM.

Gundam Wing is the best one imo, and the animation doesn't look nearly as dated as some of the older ones. My two cents.

Deleted
    Depend on what you like... if you like invincible heroic Gundams who can trash a whole conventional army himself see Gundam Wing, Seed, 00. If you like a more "realistic" Gundam (a Gundam is only a military "vehicles") and a huge dose of "War is hell" 8th MS Team, 80, Gravity Front.

I can also recommend Vision of Escaflowne, Mecha in a fantasy/steam-punk world.
    Last edited by mmoc957ac7b970; 2012-01-16 at 06:12 PM.

G Gundam!

This hand of mine glows with an awesome power! Its burning grip TELLS ME TO DEFEAT YOU! TAKE THIS! My love, my anger, and ALL MY SORROW! SHINING FINGER SWORD! GO! GO! GO!

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel it needs to be said... TTGL

Gundam Wing, then Seed.

Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    Depend on what you like... if you like invincible heroic Gundams who can trash a whole conventional army himself see Gundam Wing, Seed, 00. If you like a more "realistic" Gundam (a Gundam is only a military "vehicles") and a huge dose of "War is hell" 8th MS Team, 80, Gravity Front.

I can also recommend Vision of Escaflowne, Mecha in a fantasy/steam-punk world.
    I had amv from 8th MS team prolly should watch it.
    Kenny gona die tonight!!!

It depends if you can handle the aged animation or not. The really old character styles are a huge turn-off for me, but if you don't mind them you will enjoy a lot of the preGundam wing series.

Otherwise, if you want shiny new things, Gundam 00 and Seed are the two to look at. Just be warned that Seed Destiny is literally just more of the same, and both 00 and Seed feel very similar (but are real fun to watch, IMO).

Gundam Age is currenty airing, and although it's new, it has something of the old art style - maybe you'd enjoy that one.
    It's called Bloodlust not Heroism.
    I used to be a good player once. Now I'm a casual

10+ Year Old Account
    Gundam Seed and Gundam 00 are the two best imo, I'd suggest starting with Gundam Seed, then Destiny then 00 and 00 season 2.

After that you can go to watch some of of the older ones, but honestly wouldn't recommend wing. I just re watched wing (was the first one I watched a long time ago) and was amazed by basically how 1 dimensional every single character is, and the entire story its self. Last 20 episodes I had to push my self through because I don't like not finishing shows and I forgot how it ended, but overall quite an annoying show to watch at parts. (half the characters are so stupid)

i find seed to be the most terrible gundam series. repetitive stock footage battles make up like 80% of the series. new "main pilot" in the second season is the most annoying bitch ever. i fell asleep the last episode and didn't bother re-watching.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Gundam Wing was the only Gundam series I could get into the other's just looked and felt outdated and I didn't like the characters as much as wing.