Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Guild Wars 1 question

Well..a couple questions. I'm at work atm and just ended my SWTOR sub since the game is still very broken but I need an MMO to play in my free time. I never tried Guild Wars 1 but I REALLY want Guild Wars 2..I figure wth why not try GW1 until I get a beta inv for GW2 or it's released.

So..questions.

1. What do I need to buy to play the game? Do I need to buy the game and every expansion, much like WoW or is it all in one bundle? Whats the cheapest option so I can at least get a feel for it before I buy any extra content?
    2. Are there still people playing GW1? Is there a way to find out how many? I don't want to be in a totally empty world..probably should have asked this first.
    3. Any other hints/tips I should consider?

tyia

I wouldn't bother. GW1 is really outdated now and the gameplay is pretty shocking. You'll most likely be disappointed, I'd say just wait until GW2 is released.

Deleted
    I know some people here still play GW1.

A reason why you may want to start with GW1 is to fill your hall of monuments so you can get some cosmetic rewards for guild wars 2.

1. Each expansion is a standalone. But they sell like the whole "battlechest" for like $30. Get it all as there are MANY quality of life things you want from each.

2. There are people. But Guild Wars 1 is a lobby game. Each zone is instanced, you can take people with to the zones, of course. But you will never meet Sally Standsinfire while out questing. You meet other players in the cities and then leave to go adventure together. Guild Wars 1 is not a continuous game world like Warcraft or TOR.

3. Um, recognize that Guild Wars 1, while a good game, is a very niche game. It's a particular style of game- city lobbies, no gear progression pass 20, finite stats, limited PVE content, a "deck-building" skill system, etc.

All are very well done. Though it is not inaccurate to say GW1 is very much unlike World of Warcraft, Everquest, SWTOR, etc style games. Often, shockingly so to newcomers.

Also, also. GW1 is not GW2. Keep that in mind as the months roll on...

Honestly, don't bother, it's not really worth it if you've played more recent games. It'll be difficult to get into it.

That said, I logged on a couple months ago and there were still lots of people around. BUT be aware that the gameworld where MOST of the gameplay happens is instanced. It's a private instance unless you invite others to join you. Only cities and quest hubs are not instanced in that way.

Personally, if you were going to play, I'd get all 3 GW games, plus Eye of the North. I've seen them on sale for as little as $20-30 for everything. Have you checked Steam?

If you want to save money, and don't know if you will be interested, you could just get one of the stand-alone releases. Normally I'd recommend Nightfall as the best one.

However, they are currently offering a free trial I believe... if that's the case, why not go ahead and give it a shot.

Played GW1 for years. Dont buy it expecting it to be an MMO as it is not. Its a Co-RPG game. It will seem very dated as others have said here as its from 2005-7.

You can buy any of the first 3 campaigns (Prophecies, Factions or Nightfall) as stand alone games but can also combine them. You need, however, to own one of the first 3 to be able to use the Eye of the North expansion.

No real need to get them unless you want to go for Hall of Monument stuff tbh.

Yea I'm in the middle of DLing the free trial.

I'll give it a go..

Shame SWTOR is such trash atm Was hoping that would keep my occupied until GW2..

Well if you guys want to suggest a better, more current MMO I'm all for it..Already played Rift though..I like the dark middle earth MMO's more than futuristic MMO's.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by iCandy View Post
    Yea I'm in the middle of DLing the free trial.

I'll give it a go..

Shame SWTOR is such trash atm Was hoping that would keep my occupied until GW2..

Well if you guys want to suggest a better, more current MMO I'm all for it..Already played Rift though..I like the dark middle earth MMO's more than futuristic MMO's.
    Well, I rather enjoyed DC universe online. It's not that big, leveling doesn't take long but it has duo's and raids and PvP so you might find it amusing for a while. It's also free.

If you plan on buying it, grab the Trilogy on Steam and Eye of The North for $10 on Amazon.

EOTN:

http://www.amazon.com/Guild-Wars-Nor...6740798&sr=8-4

Quote Originally Posted by iCandy View Post
    Try Vindictus. It's a action game MMO with great combat and really cool dungeons. It's free 2 play and has a great visual look.

http://vindictus.nexon.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Try Vindictus. It's a action game MMO with great combat and really cool dungeons. It's free 2 play and has a great visual look.

http://vindictus.nexon.net/
    Vindictus is great, shame content is static and grindy. If you're going to design levels that are linear and must be repeated, then at least spice up the enemy spawns to give you some sense of randomness.

Vindictus is just as instanced as GW1 afaik.

EDIT: And you can't play it outside of Canada/USA (I think there is a EU version, but I don't know which countries can play it).
    All right, so that last test was seriously disappointing. Apparently, being civil isn't motivating you, so let's try it her way, all right, fatty? Adopted... fatty! Fatty, fatty no parents?

Quote Originally Posted by omlech View Post
    Vindictus is great, shame content is static and grindy. If you're going to design levels that are linear and must be repeated, then at least spice up the enemy spawns to give you some sense of randomness.
    I don't feel that's too big a deal, personally. Because the combat is exciting and engaging. And there is always that draw to do better and better.

Different POV, is all.

Vindictus is just as instanced as GW1 afaik.
    It is but you don't have to travel the world. Which can make GW1 VERY lonely seeming when you are questing or playing alone. Long stretches of mob filled zones without a human player. And many of the outposts that are not ZQ daily are barren.

In Vindictus the cities are all there is basically. Posting a group listing to go in to a dungeon and bash up monsters is great fun and very quick/accessible. You never truly feel the world is empty.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-01-16 at 09:17 PM.

Oh, you are absolutely right.
    Vindictus is a great game, too bad I can't effing play it.
    All right, so that last test was seriously disappointing. Apparently, being civil isn't motivating you, so let's try it her way, all right, fatty? Adopted... fatty! Fatty, fatty no parents?

For the price you can get it for now it's worth it,if only for the story and the Hall of Monuments rewards for GW2.

Bought it recently for general GW lore and HoM for GW2.
    It is old, and feels like it in terms of how restricted the general environment is. But the fights are fun and the story is engaging Don't regret just spending $40 on the trilogy and EoTN
    Plus I'm in a guild now they're a good bunch. My advice get in one asap. As soon as you make a toon tbh

The trilogy is probably quite cheap to buy and will give you a ton of content. You NEED Eye of the North if you want to start earning Guild Wars 2 rewards, but whereas Factions, Prophecies and Nightfall are all standalone campaigns, Eye of the North is a proper expansion and needs one of the other 3 campaigns to work. It is a pretty tough game to get into and there really arent many mechanics that teach you about the game. You just have to go in there and keep going until you figure it all out.

So yeah, its difficult and as stated above, very different from other traditional MMOs, but quite good fun if you give it a chance.

Yeah...it's a bit difficult to get into...and sometimes I've found myself confused beyond belief (because manuals for for idiots! :-p)
    So...get in a guild asap...ppl seem relatively friendly and open to answering any newb questions

Case in point...I spent an hour running around trying to figure out how on earth you entered the first mission...entered a guild and was told right away that I had to press the "enter mission" button. doh!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Yeah...it's a bit difficult to get into...and sometimes I've found myself confused beyond belief (because manuals for for idiots! :-p)
    So...get in a guild asap...ppl seem relatively friendly and open to answering any newb questions

Case in point...I spent an hour running around trying to figure out how on earth you entered the first mission...entered a guild and was told right away that I had to press the "enter mission" button. doh!
    lol it took me my first 2 weeks of playing after pre to figure out how to get into a mission, and how to get -to- the mission xD

I highly suggest GW1 it's a great game imo, PLENTY of stuff to do, and I think it's an extremely fun game (tbh more fun then wow and tor if you ask -me-). And it's only $40, the way i see it, if you complete at least 1 campaign at that price it's plenty worth the money!
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    lol it took me my first 2 weeks of playing after pre to figure out how to get into a mission, and how to get -to- the mission xD
    Lol Okay, I don't feel so bad about it now then
    That's the problem with the gwwiki...it's got loads of good info about the missions etc, but neglects to tell you some of the more basic things xD I was looking at that thing for ages shouting at it to tell me what to do lol