Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Will this PC do what I want it to do?

    Heya

    I'm going to order this setup:

    i3-2120
    8GB ram
    MSI Radeon 6770
    7200rmp 500GB harddrive
    1920x1200 24'' screen (already have that )

    Questions:

    - Is this a good setup to play WoW on? Wich settings/fps can I expect at wich resolution? In 25man raids etc.
    - Can I make use of DirectX11 for wow and how do I do this? I read something about manually enabling this, how does this work?
    - Will I also be able to play games like LoL, CoD4 ,MW1,2,3?, the occasional racegame?


    Thanks in advance


    Luno

  2. #2
    I would say... (estimating)

    Medium/high settings.
    Around 20-40 FPS in 25 raids with those settings.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunooo View Post
    - Is this a good setup to play WoW on? Wich settings/fps can I expect at wich resolution? In 25man raids etc.
    It's decent. Woudn't say it's great. The fact that you are gonna play it at 1920x1200 isn't gonna help either ^^
    But you can expect decent framerates around the medium graphic settings, possibly also with high.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lunooo View Post
    - Can I make use of DirectX11 for wow and how do I do this? I read something about manually enabling this, how does this work?
    Aye, you can. It's accesible under the options ingame now. No longer need to edit the .ini file.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lunooo View Post
    - Will I also be able to play games like LoL, CoD4 ,MW1,2,3?, the occasional racegame?
    LoL is very.. easy on computers. It will run just fine. Shooters can produce some framedrops due to explosions and lots of moving particles at once, but should GENERALLY be playable. But don't expect ultra settings :P

    Quote Originally Posted by Lunooo View Post
    Additional question: Is 4GB ram overkill, will a single 4GB piece perform worse?
    8 GB of RAM is generally plenty for gaming rigs. Seeing it's dirt cheap these days it would be the last thing I'd hold out on.

    Last piece of advice: if possible, hold out on buying this setup, save up a bit more and grab a i5 2500K or even a i3 2300 CPU. The i3 2120 is rather low-end.
    Last edited by Arachnan; 2012-01-16 at 08:45 PM.
    "If you need to add '10char' to be able to post, don't bother posting at all."


  4. #4
    Additional question: Is 4GB ram overkill, will a single 4GB piece perform worse?

    ( I might be able to get out a deal on a 6850 if I save on some other stuff, that's why I ask )

  5. #5
    Warchief StarbuyPWNDyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Leicestershire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,082
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayme View Post
    I would say... (estimating)

    Medium/high settings.
    Around 20-40 FPS in 25 raids with those settings.
    I would say definitely higher than that presuming you'd be willing to skimp on shadows. I'd place it around 35-50fps.
    I'd rather waltz than just walk through the forest...

    Omg look, I have a blog!

  6. #6
    Brewmaster Biernot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,297
    This will run wow pretty fine. But expect to set graphic details a little below max settings to get decent fps in 25man raids.

    My Setting:
    i5-750 (very close to the i3-2100 in WoW performance)
    12gb ram
    radeon 5770 (same chip as the 6770, just a different name)
    1920x1200 screen
    graphic details at max except shadows

    I have a steady 60fps in the open world most of the time. In more crowded places (like trade district in stormwind in the evening) it drops down to about 30fps. I actually haven't raided for a long time, so i can't say what it will be in a 25man, but i expect it to be in the 20-25fps area.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou View Post
    I would say definitely higher than that presuming you'd be willing to skimp on shadows. I'd place it around 35-50fps.
    I guess, and in case you're lacking you can turn down a few other settings to make it perform better Ignore my initial evaluation.

    4gb is fine, you honestly don't need 8GB unless you want to be perfectly safe, 2gb will do WOW and the games listed just fine.
    If you can cut down from 8GB to 4GB and get a 6850 I would honestly do it without a doubt. That should push your FPS quite higher.

  8. #8
    Ok thanks for the replies ^.^

    Is there a performance difference between 2x2GB and 1x4GB?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunooo View Post
    Ok thanks for the replies ^.^

    Is there a performance difference between 2x2GB and 1x4GB?
    As long as it runs dual channel, it won't. Make sure it runs at the same timings aswell.
    The general rule of thumb is: use the same strips of RAM in all slots, or at least from the same manufacturer and you will most likely encounter no problems.
    "If you need to add '10char' to be able to post, don't bother posting at all."


  10. #10
    Immortal Notarget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Posts
    7,847
    If you can find room in your budget I would bump that GPU to 6850/70.

    Slightly off-topic - Also the requirements or possibilities in WoW are getting raised with Mist of Pandaria, going to 64bit platform and enhanced ultra settings, not that it looks like OP is that worried about those settings. 8GB will definitely be the way to go. It's not perfectly optimized yet afaik but they still have time to tweak it. addons will jump a little in memory usage as well, assuming you run the 64bit client.

    Last edited by Notarget; 2012-01-16 at 09:02 PM.

  11. #11
    Can it run dual channel with a single ram strip?

  12. #12
    Immortal Notarget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Posts
    7,847
    You want 2x2, 2x4, 2x8, not odd numbers.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunooo View Post
    Can it run dual channel with a single ram strip?
    It can, just make sure you buy dual channel RAM and have a motherboard that supports it.
    As Notarget said above, make sure you get even numbers. 2 > 4 > 8 > 16 GB.
    "If you need to add '10char' to be able to post, don't bother posting at all."


  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunooo View Post
    Heya

    I'm going to order this setup:

    i3-2120
    8GB ram
    MSI Radeon 6770
    7200rmp 500GB harddrive
    1920x1200 24'' screen (already have that )

    Questions:

    - Is this a good setup to play WoW on? Wich settings/fps can I expect at wich resolution? In 25man raids etc.
    - Can I make use of DirectX11 for wow and how do I do this? I read something about manually enabling this, how does this work?
    - Will I also be able to play games like LoL, CoD4 ,MW1,2,3?, the occasional racegame?


    Thanks in advance


    Luno

    The most important component for WoW is the CPU. You should upgrade to an i5-2500k and overclock it to 4.4GHz. This will basically double your performance for a few extra $$. Video card upgrade to a 6850 would also be a nice upgrade. These 2 upgrades would keep your system actively gaming for approx. 5yrs.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Arachnan View Post
    It can, just make sure you buy dual channel RAM and have a motherboard that supports it.
    As Notarget said above, make sure you get even numbers. 2 > 4 > 8 > 16 GB.
    Sorry for my stupidity

    But I can run dual channel with 1x4? or do I need 2x2?

  16. #16
    Immortal Notarget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Posts
    7,847
    First, yes i5-2500k is definitely an upgrade and will perform better but if a budget wont fit it then you're "sol".

    i3-2120 > i5-2500k = $90 difference
    Heatsink = $30-50
    6770 > 6850/70 = $40-70

    We don't know OP's Motherboard so that might need an upgrade as well to OC the i5, my point is it's suddenly not "just" a few extra $. OP you wanna keep the cost low your setup is fine, I would like mentioned, up the GPU to 6850/70 still.

  17. #17
    Yeah an i5 isn't really in the budget atm

    I'm still fiddling with the graphics card tho, do you guys think it's better to get 8 GB ram and something like
    http://www.alternate.nl/html/product...l3=GeForce+GTX or 4 GB and a 6850?

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunooo View Post
    Yeah an i5 isn't really in the budget atm

    I'm still fiddling with the graphics card tho, do you guys think it's better to get 8 GB ram and something like
    http://www.alternate.nl/html/product...l3=GeForce+GTX or 4 GB and a 6850?
    I'd go for the 6850 and 4GB

  19. #19
    Immortal Notarget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Posts
    7,847
    XFX 6850 || Sapphire 6850

    4 GB + a better GPU is better than 8GB RAM. I will still recommend getting 8GB just because the prices are so low atm but ultimately your call

  20. #20
    Ok I'm going with the 6850

    Thanks a huge lot you guys, amazing help Without this topic I would have ordered a 6770 :P


    - Luno

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •