10+ Year Old Account

Jedi Shadow tank viability?

So i decided to start a new character with a buddy of mine, and i saw that the consular has both the Sage and Shadow classes. The shadow has tank / dps as the options, so my question is, how viable is the Shadow as a tanking class?

Jedi Shadow wears light armor, wtf?

Deleted
    It's not terrible. You have a lot of abilities to mitigate damage and negate the fact that you're wearing light armour. However; Shadow can put out some pretty sweet damage as far as I can see atm. I'd reccomend it, particularly the Balance tree. The burst you can achieve is phenomenal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou View Post
    It's not terrible. You have a lot of abilities to mitigate damage and negate the fact that you're wearing light armour. However; Shadow can put out some pretty sweet damage as far as I can see atm. I'd reccomend it, particularly the Balance tree. The burst you can achieve is phenomenal.
    Yeah just from what im seeing so far (only level 12 so far) is i rape all sorts of mobs, not to mention my companion just demolishes anything in his path. Although I dont see why they put his main stat as Aim when he uses a melee weapon?

Reason i ask about the viability of them tanking because my friend and I are going tank / heals and leveling together equally, so we only have to ask for 2 dps whenever we want to do a flashpoint of heroic 4 quest.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    So i decided to start a new character with a buddy of mine, and i saw that the consular has both the Sage and Shadow classes. The shadow has tank / dps as the options, so my question is, how viable is the Shadow as a tanking class?

Druids wear leather wtf?

Same principle, as an assassin, which is your mirror, we get a saber charge which increases armor by a substantial amount.

I've tanked roughly half the hard mode flashpoints now as an assassin without any major problems. In essence you're more of an avoidance tank. You've also got several self heals via talents which act as pseudo-mitigation.

Personally found assassin to be really good, especially on large packs due to good aoe snap aggro.

Assasin/shadow tanks are very viable and are receiving some buffs tomorrow to improve our self healing as well as making slow time/wither amazing in pvp.

I am an Assassin (Empire version) and I MT raids. Don't forget that they get 150% armor from Dark Charge on our side, not sure what it is called on Repub side

I have heard they are actually the proffered tank, but until we get logs it will be hard to tell
    "Peace is a lie"

We only need light armor because we have a stance, like druids bear form, that significantly increases our Armor. I like to think of it as The Force is my Armor. I am an Assassin BTW, mirror class to the Shadow, and I tank everything for my little group. I am level 41, never had problems tanking either. Planning on being one of my guilds main tanks too.

According to Bioware, all tanks and healers will be equal to the other tanks and healers. So yes, it is completely viable.

At level 14 you get the tanking form. As said above, it provides 150% armor bonus (the other tanks get only 60% bonus from their stances). So having light armor is not a detriment if you want to tank.

They are awesome tanks! I MT a Nightmare Mode Ops guild.. and I have had no issues with threat or Mit/Avoid. I prefer them and so do my guildies to tank for everything I can!

Very viable. I am a Shadow tank for my guild. Run HM FP's and Ops. I also enjoy being a pvp tank. So yes the class is great at what it does. Anyone who says otherwise is most likely a bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyingmoney View Post
    Don't you know the meaning of life?
    Get born.
    Play WoW.
    Snort crack.
    Fuck bitches.
    Die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    At level 14 you get the tanking form. As said above, it provides 150% armor bonus (the other tanks get only 60% bonus from their stances). So having light armor is not a detriment if you want to tank.
    Ahh I see, i guess i just need to keep leveling. I like the tanking talents though. From what im seeing they look to be fun tanks. I am literally counting down the minutes until i get off work to get back to playing.

My 47 gunslinger really helps to boost my shadow by providing credits and low level items. It makes leveling way fun, and I love taking the story in the darkside direction.

No charge no early aoe = Mine got shelved at 17 in favor of a guardian.

Very viable and quite fun. I recommend it. DPS is also pretty fun, I was sad to give it up, but I'm a tank at heart and tanking Flashpoints is fun (the wait as a DPS is not as long as you might think btw, so don't think that's a reason, I've seen groups look for DPS about as much as I see them looking for tanks or healers)

As a tank, you're a very bursty threat tank. So people will be hiding behind you since you'll keep aggro on everything. As far as damage mitigation goes, I really don't know.
    Intel i7-5820k @ 4.5 GHz
    Asus Rampage V Extreme x99
    Asus GTX 980
    32GB DDR4 RAM
    Windows 10 Home x64

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumatran View Post
    No charge no early aoe = Mine got shelved at 17 in favor of a guardian.
    You have stealth, allowing you to stand in a group as you engage them. You also have sprint which is sort of a charge, and several AoE abilities (Whirling Blow, Force Breach, the top talent - can't remember its name), but yeah, probably at level 17 it's not ideal. Patience, one must have.

For OP, Shadow/Assassin tanking is VERY viable if not preferred by many high end guilds... my question is for the person stating that were receiving self healing/wither buffs? could i get some proof on this?

EDIT: for proof http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...es-new-content
    Last edited by Goregasm.; 2012-01-16 at 10:43 PM.

Deleted
    We use a shadow tank for our ops and have three of them to play with during hardmode flashpoints. However, I will be honest and say that they take a lot spikier damage than vanguards or guardians, but lose aggro less often. Viable is definitely the case, though I think tanks may each have a niche in this game, remains to be seen what niches those are.

Seen shadow tanks roll thru a hardmode with ease, very viable tanks

10+ Year Old Account
    Very viable at the moment, and with the buffs coming in tomorrow (although it's currently 2 in the morning... so TODAY) they will be even more viable. Plus they're also IMO the most fun of the tank classes to play, but that's just me :P
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30