Need some Newbie help.

So basically I couldn't hold it anymore, so I got the game aswell. It's much better than I expected, so that's a plus. However, I'm really unsure.

I started by leveling a Bounty Hunter, I'm currently level 8 and I like it so far. I definetely want to be a DPS. I heard from some friends that Bounty Hunter is crap as DPS, but they're often wrong. Judging from the description on the advanced classes I'm suppoused to pick Mercenary, but then what should I pick out of "Arsenal, Bodyguard and Firebug"? I will be focusing on PvE.

Then the other question, which Skills/Professions are the best match for my class/specialization?

To shorten it up: What advanced class/specialization/skills should I choose as Bounty Hunter DPS?

Any help is very appreciated, and thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Excitement; 2012-01-16 at 10:39 PM.

Paladin
    Kudos to Xrated and Shiri!
    Veni Vidi Vici - Julius Caesar

Deleted
    bodyguard is a healer. mercs cant tank. powertechs can.

Deleted
    Now as I don't have a lvl 50 yet I can't give you the best answer however I can say from what I've seen so far bounty hunters do great dps, they are by no means bad.

Now I just thought I'd add here that Mercenary CANNOT fill in the role of a tank, for that you would have to go Powertech in the advance class option. Mercenary is all about dps

As I said I'm not the best to ask however I see you don't have a reply yet so thought I'd make a response. What I've said above is mostly from a PvP perspective but if they do good damage in PvP they must do at least decent in PvE. However the thing about mercenary being able to tank is not correct. Good luck!

Bounty Hunters have the best AOE abilities in the game. They also have the best looking ability in the game as well, Death from Above

Both merc and powertech can dps and dps well as they get more abilities. What it boils down to is that with merc you get the option to heal and specialize in healing fully if you desire(otherwise you're dps with a lil healin to ya). With powertech you get the option to tank and specialize in tanking fully if you desire(otherwise you dps with a lil tankin to ya).

Both advanced classes(merc and pt) get DPS specs... 2 of them actually. Personally I prefer powertech and have been enjoying it as my second going to 50 toon. Its solid in pvp warzones and even in pyro spec with the tanking stance on I've been able to tank decently in the lower level flashpoints so far with no difficulties(as long as there's a healer of course in the party.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinesun View Post
    Both merc and powertech can dps and dps well as they get more abilities. What it boils down to is that with merc you get the option to heal and specialize in healing fully if you desire(otherwise you're dps with a lil healin to ya). With powertech you get the option to tank and specialize in tanking fully if you desire(otherwise you dps with a lil tankin to ya).

Both advanced classes(merc and pt) get DPS specs... 2 of them actually. Personally I prefer powertech and have been enjoying it as my second going to 50 toon. Its solid in pvp warzones and even in pyro spec with the tanking stance on I've been able to tank decently in the lower level flashpoints so far with no difficulties(as long as there's a healer of course in the party.
    Pretty much this, however I will add that Powertech DPS is primarily focused on using Flamethrower abilities, while Merc DPS uses blasters and missiles. Also, Powertechs DPS from melee range mostly, while Mercs dps from range.

The only reason I bring this up is that I've gone Powertech on my BH to tank, and I really like the tanking, however I don't like the feel of using my flamethrower so much. Even going the Pyrotech tree (shared dps tree between Merc and PT, and surprisingly less focused on flamethrower than Advanced Prototype) I just don't like the feel of the shooting flames at the enemies.

Just something to keep in mind. I'm making a BH alt (going opposite alignment to mix things up a bit) and making him Merc just so I can enjoy actually shooting things.

As for professions, any except Synthweaving and Artifice are good for BH. When you first get to Imperial Fleet, you can talk to all the trainers (don't hit "Yes" to get trained though) to get codex entries (and a little xp) that explain the crew skills. They also tell you what goes with what.
    Last edited by Aldurok; 2012-01-17 at 03:02 AM.
    Nifsara - BASTARD i shot my hotpocket! Now what am i gonna have for lunch?