Thread: Mob spawning?

Deleted

Cool Mob spawning?

Hi guys, I'd need a little help here. On my current survival map, I wanted to create a mob spawner. So I built a sort of house for them to spawn in. It's completely dark inside, 3 blocks high to allow Endermen to spawn (which are the ones I aim at farming) and it's made of cobblestone.

But I have yet to see any mob spawn inside. Every time i check out, it's sadly empty. Am I doing something wrong here?

Help would be much appreciated, thanks

Try adding just a little light like 1 torch or so seemed 2 work 4 me

How big is it? I remember I made one that was... what was it, a 5x3x2 box that had a chute at the bottom so the monsters could leave and eventually make their way to these iron doors I made for an arena. Absolutely no light sources... the only light that came in was the light from the arena into the hallway the monsters dropped into.

if i recall correctly you have to be within 2 chunks (32 blocks) of a spot for it to spawn a mob in a dark space (with enough room of course)

the bigger and darker the room is, the better.

also I heard aggressive mobs don't spawn within a certain distance of your original spawn point, that might effect it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    the bigger and darker the room is, the better.

also I heard aggressive mobs don't spawn within a certain distance of your original spawn point, that might effect it.
    Mmhm, while you could spawn Endermen (*shudder*) in a 1X1X3 room, you'll have a higher chance in a 10X10X10 room.

Plus, anyone know if you can use eggs in survival? Or is that only for creative? That could help you.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Mmhm, while you could spawn Endermen (*shudder*) in a 1X1X3 room, you'll have a higher chance in a 10X10X10 room.

Plus, anyone know if you can use eggs in survival? Or is that only for creative? That could help you.
    You have to use an inventory mod like TooManyItems, but yeah you are able to use them if you can get some.

Though that ruins the point of mob farming for items, since you can just get the items!

Deleted
    Thanks for your answers! Looks like I haven't built it big enough. I'll expand it and let you know it did the trick.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Luks View Post
    Thanks for your answers! Looks like I haven't built it big enough. I'll expand it and let you know it did the trick.
    And did it work? I have built a "mob spawner" too, but the only mobs ever spawned were spiders. It is near my house and 4x3x3. Does it still need to be bigger?

1 reason why you might not be getting mobs to your spawner is that you are too close to it, think there was minimum of 24 blocks of distance around yourself where mobs won't spawn. Might have been changed since I haven't kept up to date on patch notes.

The size itself doesn't matter as long as the mob has room to spawn in it, but the bigger the spawning space is the more mobs can spawn in it. Don't think extra height for the space increases the spawns though.

Checked my old mob grinder and it's still working in 1.1, only 2 blocks high space for the mobs to spawn to prevent ender men from griefing my grinder but loads of space sideways and on multiple levels. Waterways are handy for carrying the mobs to where you want them.

Try googling for Mob Grinders for info on spawns and such, loads of good stuff out there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryukaar View Post
    1 reason why you might not be getting mobs to your spawner is that you are too close to it, think there was minimum of 24 blocks of distance around yourself where mobs won't spawn.
    Ha, that was the reason. Problem solved, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post

they work in survival if you spawn them in with mods. single-use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

• You have to in a 15x15 chunk radius (240x240 blocks) blocks from the edges of your house for mobs to spawn inside. Edit: Corrected, though info is a little fuzzy.
    • Doors / openings let small amounts of light through. You can easily count the light value. Mobs start at light level 7. The sun gives a light level of 14. Light is a linear function, so for each block away from a light source, the light value is lowered by one. That way, you can easily build an unlit entry, which is still bright enough for mobs to not spawn at outside and dark enough for mobs to spawn in inside. The reason I mention this, is because the small amount of light decreases the viable area of your house, which, argueably, cannot be that big.
    • The amount of mobs per chunk is limited and fairly low. Since you build an actual housing, I assume it is overground. Now, there is a very high possibility, that there will be some sort of cave below that spot. Since the maximum amount is capped, it will also decrease the possibility of mobs spawning in your mob farm.
    • That also means, that you need to regularily kill off all mobs inside the farm for more enderman to spawn. You could automate the killing method (see youtube, various forums) to facilitate the kill speed (faster kill == more spawn == more loot == more enderman) and the system's reliance.
    Last edited by Flextt; 2012-02-11 at 10:13 PM.
    True, but the difference is that in GTA3 you're only shooting (and robbing, murdering, having sex with, etc) pixels. In WOW you get the pleasure of dealing with some of the most despicable human behaviour you'll ever witness.