Page 1 of 2
LastLast

A college degree in the art field (need advice!)

Hey guys, I've gone through a bit of a mid-college-crisis and I'm deciding whether or not I should switch my degree from biology to graphic design.

I've had artistic talent since I was very young, and I worked on it all the way through the end of high school. I was always in the AP/GT art courses and my teacher expected me to keep it going through college. My parents were uncomfortable with the idea of me going to college for an art degree, so I was convinced to go for something more practical. I always enjoyed animals, so I went for a degree in Biology.

My college life has been rough, to say the least. I've done a semester here and a semester there, and I've never done great. I don't enjoy math and science courses, and I don't do well in them. I've gone through a lot of depression and "down"-periods during and after college because of this. So the other day, I finally thought about pursuing art again, something I had forgotten since the end of high school. The thought excites me, and the curriculum looks interesting and fun.

So, I just need some advice about the field. I'd pursue a degree in graphic design, multimedia or something similar (I don't wish to pursue general art or studio art). My college does have a graphic arts program with separate focuses on web design, video game design, etc. How difficult is it to find freelance work? Is it as highly competitive as people make it out to be? Is the income comparable to a starving artist? Whatever advice you can muster.

And the money isn't a huge deal to me. I'd much rather be happy in my career than rich off of it.

Thanks for whatever you can tell me!

Graphic arts and designing is an emerging field with plentiful job opportunities in the near future. There’s also no scarcity of freelance work in this field. You need to create a portfolio which would showcase your experience and talent and make you marketable. While browsing the Internet for programs in graphic arts, I came to a CollegeAmerica student review] page. The college has a bachelor’s in graphic arts and web design and development. The program description appealed to me and I plan to find out more about the college. If you are interested, you can also take a look at it. As you mentioned you were always interested in this field, it won’t be long before you find the kind of work that excited you!

Please don't be one of those guys who thinks he's going to support himself out of college on freelance though. You're not going to get enough contracts to make a living and the people who are willing to get cheaper low end design are just going to outsource at wages you can't match.

Pick up as much web coding and design as you can. That's where all the jobs are.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Please don't be one of those guys who thinks he's going to support himself out of college on freelance though. You're not going to get enough contracts to make a living and the people who are willing to get cheaper low end design are just going to outsource at wages you can't match.

Pick up as much web coding and design as you can. That's where all the jobs are.
    But then he can join the Occupy group and ask why he isn't making seven figures while doing freelance web design straight out of college!

It doesn't sound like Biology is the right choice for you since you really aren't interested in that field. I think if anything it's time to move on from that idea.

As for the art degree, it's also a field with little to no prospect. It's an over-saturated field of study with a demanding load. First of all, you're essentially going up against a brick wall. In February, there were 3.5 million job opens according to the US government data. There were also 12 million people out of work. Now I don't have an exact number, but of those, I can be a majority of them aren't art jobs.

In addition to that, you're basically forcing yourself to live in a big city. That's where the graphic design work is. Not sure where you currently are, but if it isn't a big city, go live there for a year before making the choice on that degree. If you can stand it, you make the call.

Freelance work is extremely competitive, especially for a new individual. Essentially, you have no frame of reference for people to use you. The only advantage you will have is your work will be much cheaper than someone with experience. They have the leg up though on everything else; contacts, previous work, etc.

Yes, it is competitive, because you are judged by your work. Reputation is everything in art. If you do good work, word will spread. If you do something that someone is unsatisfied with, word will spread faster. Unless you think you have what it takes to deal with that, then graphics design isn't for you.

As for the income, the average is $37,500. The average starting salary, $30,000. The average American household income is $45,000 a year, so even if you start off making the average income of all graphics designers, you're still almost $7,500 under the true average. That should definitely play a factor in your decision.

First of all Bio doesn't give you any better options unless you pursue a follow up degree (master/PHD/Med etc).

I know people that work in the current Graphic design and coding field and honestly you really have work hard. It is not a blow off degree, you really need the mix of talent, dedication and knowledge. You need to learn to use multiple graphic design programs; this means using what your school provides and doing you best to get your hands on others and learning in your free time. Also general web design programs you need some familiarity with, and again more than one of these. Last and probably most important is learn some web coding as another said, coding opens more doors in the technology, IP, Design, Web based fields than anything else. There used to be an awesome graphic showing how useful a college degree compared to one weekend of pearl is when it comes to jobs and salary. You are going to have to do a lot of work on your own and outside your course work to be really successful in this field, unless you are just dripping with talent.

Really, if you don't like Bio get out it is equally as useless as an art degree in most situations. Unless you intend to really take it to the next level and you make a 4.0. If you can do the outside class work and put in the hours to really stay on top of the new programs and learn some good valuable code (not C++) you can do well in the graphic design, web design, technology field, if you can't do this expect it to be mediocore at best, then again right now this applies to everything but the Medical field in the current American job market.

Deleted
    There are definitely jobs in art and design. But you'll have to work hard and expect to spend a lot of time working for other people doing boring shit.

The vast majority of designers and artists are not hotshot freelancers who can pick and choose what they want to do, more likely you'll work for some forgettable ad agency cranking out generic ads and illustrations for equally forgettable small and medium-sized companies. So a lot less spending weeks trying to come up with the right graphic profile and image for a client and a lot more "the client is paying for three hours of work and they want four print ads in these sizes, two web banners in these sizes and they want their ugly company logo and color scheme in all of them".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    First of all Bio doesn't give you any better options unless you pursue a follow up degree (master/PHD/Med etc).
    This is crucial. A BS/BA in Biology is only really useful to get another degree.

Getting a graphic design degree is a marketable skill, but there are a LOT of graphic designers out there.

Your biggest challenge will be figuring out how to make money from people who can't spend more than a couple of hundred of dollars at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Biston View Post
    This is crucial. A BS/BA in Biology is only really useful to get another degree.

Getting a graphic design degree is a marketable skill, but there are a LOT of graphic designers out there.

Your biggest challenge will be figuring out how to make money from people who can't spend more than a couple of hundred of dollars at a time.
    A B.Sc. can certainly get you a job, depending on which one you do. Here it's pretty common to get recruited right out of a 4 year degree.

Typically you specialize for two years. Not sure how it works in your country=s

OT: Web design and coding. Don't think you'll get work with just a straight forward Art degree. And don't forget to work on a diverse and extensive portfolio.

10+ Year Old Account
    Best advice, do not do it.

Get a job in the field you want to work in and get paid to learn. Competition is high and results are what matter, not degrees. Be happy and save the money you would waste on a degree.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    le snip

Really, if you don't like Bio get out it is equally as useless as an art degree in most situations. Unless you intend to really take it to the next level and you make a 4.0. If you can do the outside class work and put in the hours to really stay on top of the new programs and learn some good valuable code (not C++) you can do well in the graphic design, web design, technology field, if you can't do this expect it to be mediocore at best, then again right now this applies to everything but the Medical field in the current American job market.
    Web design is a good field atm.

With all the new technology coming out companies want front end developers to make their site look good, and a good chunk want it to look good on any device(phones, tablets ect).
    Last edited by usiris; 2012-05-23 at 12:15 AM.

Be an engineer, biology degree is worthless unless you want to be a lab rat and if you don't you'll have to get your masters and or PHD.

Graphic Design jobs are slim to none, but at least its a marketable skill and you won't jump off a building doing it.

Deleted
    I know a lot of graphic designers and lived with a couple in my first year at uni. I also know quite a few who didn't even go to college, so the market is pretty saturated. If you're going to go down the graphic design/multimedia route, try and see if there are vocational courses aimed at that area. Having a marketing background will assist you in being able to sell your skills. There are lots of good artists, artists who know about marketing are a bit more rare.

As mentioned, don't just be strictly a good artist. Knowledge of programming (not intensive), marketing and general business operations will help a ton. I wouldn't stretch yourself too thin, but having a fairly wide knowledge of things outside your primary skillset is invaluable.

You need to at least know how HTML and CSS work and be able to "read" it at a reasonable level. ActionScript is useful. SEO wouldn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    It doesn't sound like Biology is the right choice for you since you really aren't interested in that field. I think if anything it's time to move on from that idea.

As for the art degree, it's also a field with little to no prospect. It's an over-saturated field of study with a demanding load. First of all, you're essentially going up against a brick wall. In February, there were 3.5 million job opens according to the US government data. There were also 12 million people out of work. Now I don't have an exact number, but of those, I can be a majority of them aren't art jobs.

In addition to that, you're basically forcing yourself to live in a big city. That's where the graphic design work is. Not sure where you currently are, but if it isn't a big city, go live there for a year before making the choice on that degree. If you can stand it, you make the call.

Freelance work is extremely competitive, especially for a new individual. Essentially, you have no frame of reference for people to use you. The only advantage you will have is your work will be much cheaper than someone with experience. They have the leg up though on everything else; contacts, previous work, etc.

Yes, it is competitive, because you are judged by your work. Reputation is everything in art. If you do good work, word will spread. If you do something that someone is unsatisfied with, word will spread faster. Unless you think you have what it takes to deal with that, then graphics design isn't for you.

As for the income, the average is $37,500. The average starting salary, $30,000. The average American household income is $45,000 a year, so even if you start off making the average income of all graphics designers, you're still almost $7,500 under the true average. That should definitely play a factor in your decision.
    Little to no prospect? There are soooo many jobs that fall under an arts degree that the comment is just plain crazy, and plenty of them don't just pay the bills but actually offer really nice standards of living. I could make a list of legit arts jobs a page long easily. Yeah there are a lot of people who want an arts job, but most have no idea how to go about it, or give up before giving an honest try because they get talked out of it by well meaning friends and relatives. Anyone who REALLY wants it can get an arts job if they are willing to work for it.

There is a constant demand for graphic designers. Yes, there is competition with every guy with a computer and an illegal version of Photoshop, but that in no way really undermines the field as it's really only competition for cheapskate jobs that are honestly more of a headache than they are worth anyways. Good designers will always be able to find work if they have some good business sense. You deal with them when you are getting your foot in the door, but you eventually kind of just "level" past them.

Freelance IS competitive, especially early on trying to get enough of those low paying jobs to add up. It's better to get a 9-5 in the field somewhere and gain experience that way. If you really want to freelance, start taking small jobs on the side while you work the 9-5, so by the time you are ready to go freelance you already have a few clients lined up.

Don't let a field that is competitive and "over saturated" turn you away. There are plenty of people doing it, and making very nice livings doing it despite that. It may be tough at times, but that is the dues you pay to have a job that satisfies you.

Hay Man,

Funny enough today I finished my degree in Interactive Digiatal Design, Its a arts major with a focus on designing web and other graphical interfaces. The is a emerging job market, and the skill set i have developed is usefull across multiple fields of design work not just web or interface.

I have a small part time job doing wesite work for a small Australian IP, the pay across design work isnt that high unless you can overload yourself and freelance, but to break in to freelance requires some good connections usualy word of mouth from happy clients. but biology isnt a super wealthy area of work eather tbh. I am About to start looking in to the job market, but know some people who have been sucessful and got some awesome right out of uni jobs. it is a compeditive field in that an employer will hire who ever can do the best job, degree or not.

at the end of the day you should be thinking:
    - Will i be happy with bio?
    - Is graphic design somthing i can do after finishing bio?
    - will i be ok money wise extending the time im at uni?

what is most important is that you end up in a field doing somthing you can be happy with. one day you will be working full time.. you dont want to spend most of your time doing somthing you dont enjoy.

As someone with an art Bachelor's, I'm working in...insurance.

You CAN make it in the art field but with the amount of time, networking, and effort you put in, you could be a freaking CEO in any other field. You also should only pursue such a career in/near major cities. If all of that sits well with you, go for it. Me, I chose a comfortable 9-5 and to do art/independent freelance projects as more of a hobby.

Graphic arts is an emerging field and if you’re truly interested in the field, then I say you should go for it. Work hard at your degree and create an impressive work portfolio. If you have any questions about the profession, you should refer to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics website to find out more. I’m interested in pursuing a degree in computer science and while reviewing colleges I read a fewstudent reviews of CollegeAmerica that said that the college offers programs in graphic arts as well- you should check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Holyspartann View Post
    Be an engineer, biology degree is worthless unless you want to be a lab rat and if you don't you'll have to get your masters and or PHD.

Graphic Design jobs are slim to none, but at least its a marketable skill and you won't jump off a building doing it.
    He doesn't like math. How is he going to be an engineer? Please, do tell.