Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    1.3.7 Patch Notes

    Today's patch brings us a few things we have been waiting for: You should no longer get put into a different instance when everyone in your part/raid is outside flashpoint or Op (after a wipe for instance), Group finder will retain role selections when you leave or join a group, and Miraluka charterers can once again display their headslot of they want.

    One odd change is now Legacy names are not unique. In a future update they plan on letting everyone have the option of renaming their legacy once with no charge (so all the people who were forced to change their Legacy name during the transfer process will have the opportunity to change it back if you like).

    Originally Posted by SWTOR
    1.3.7 Patch Notes
    9/5/2012
    Flashpoints and Operations
    General
    • Players will no longer be prevented from traveling to their group's in a Flashpoint or Operation due to the instance being full.

    Group Finder
    • Group Finder now retains a character's role selections when joining or leaving a group.

    Items
    General
    • Muse Vestments no longer clip incorrectly with character heads.
    • Helmets, circlets, masks, and visors now display correctly on Miralukan characters, hiding the Miralukan mask.

    Legacy
    • Legacy names are no longer unique. New Legacies that are created are now able to use a name that is already in use on the server. All players will be able to rename their Legacies once, at no cost, in a future update.

    UI
    • Made minor cosmetic changes to the Character Selection and Character Creation UI.

    (Source)

    Originally Posted by SWTOR
    We're getting this added into the notes right now! I can confirm that, yes, the event outfits are now bind on Legacy.

    (Source)
    Last edited by Arlee; 2012-09-05 at 07:39 PM.

  2. #2
    Legacy names are no longer unique. New Legacies that are created are now able to use a name that is already in use on the server. All players will be able to rename their Legacies once, at no cost, in a future update.[/list]
    I really think they could have made this a lot simpler if they'd just allowed spaces + more characters in the naming process.
    Formerly known here as Nakaya_Kilrogg.
    I don't play Nak anymore, I'm not on Kilrogg, and
    I haven't played WoW seriously since the end of LK.

  3. #3
    Legacy names no longer unique is one of the dumbest changes ever.
    WoW having more subs than SWTOR is the same thing as Justin Bieber having more youtube plays than Tupac. Just because its more popular doesn't mean its good.
    Warcraft Lore has gone from one of the most vast and interesting stories in all of gaming to a bad Thrall Fanfic by Chris Metzen.
    SWTOR Referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2MpjV9 7 free days and other free stuff.

  4. #4
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bear Taco, Left Hand of Death
    Posts
    13,956
    Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    Legacy names no longer unique is one of the dumbest changes ever.
    It might sound dumb to you, but 90% of the population got screwed over when they were 'forced' to transfer servers. If you were lucky enough to start on a destination server you got your awesome legacy. I had a great legacy and names on my original server and it wound up being in the bottom 10 for populations.

    I transfered the second they were available and I had to change every character's name and my legacy. It didn't bother me *a lot* because I was hopefully going to be able to play, but it was Bioware's fault people lost their identity. It's a bigger part of MMO's than most people give it credit for.

    edit: I do get what you are saying, being able to copy someone's awesome legacy or whatnot is very uncool...I was just explaining the logical reasoning behind the decision. Might still be a terrible move, who knows.

  5. #5
    Best case scenario: It ruins things for RPers, makes people less easy to identify, and generally takes away a layer of customization.

    Worst case scenario: Lets say you and I are on the same server and you do something that pisses me off. Say I am a really vindictive person and a huge dick. Whats to stop me from making a new f2p account, taking your legacy name, and getting myself invited to your guild. Hey, we've got the same legacy, how would they know the difference? I then proceed to steal your guild bank and general do everything I can to destroy your reputation. For all your guild and server knows, its you. You are now an outcast and cannot ever get into a guild again.

    EDIT: And what happens to legacy mail now? And will we ever get legacy friends ala realid now?
    WoW having more subs than SWTOR is the same thing as Justin Bieber having more youtube plays than Tupac. Just because its more popular doesn't mean its good.
    Warcraft Lore has gone from one of the most vast and interesting stories in all of gaming to a bad Thrall Fanfic by Chris Metzen.
    SWTOR Referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2MpjV9 7 free days and other free stuff.

  6. #6
    It certainly takes away the uniqueness of Legacy name (obviously), but like Kitty said that was probably the biggest complaint from people during server transfers (aside from not getting to pick what server they wanted to go to) and with forced transfers around the corner it is probably a smart move in the long run.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    Legacy names no longer unique is one of the dumbest changes ever.
    I was one of MANY people who had to change their legacy because some account that is no longer around has it. Heck, I had to change my character name because someone has it yet they most likely don't even play.

    I think this is a great change because those of us who STILL play shouldn't be screwed over.

  8. #8
    Better idea then, a petition system that lets players ask Bioware if their character/legacy name is actually still in use. If it is not, they can request a change. Bioware then sends the person with the original name an email, and gives them lets say two weeks to respond. If they do not respond, the petitioner gets the name.

    This pointless change not only adds layers of unnecessary confusion, it also takes away from a lot of potential future features.
    WoW having more subs than SWTOR is the same thing as Justin Bieber having more youtube plays than Tupac. Just because its more popular doesn't mean its good.
    Warcraft Lore has gone from one of the most vast and interesting stories in all of gaming to a bad Thrall Fanfic by Chris Metzen.
    SWTOR Referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2MpjV9 7 free days and other free stuff.

  9. #9
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    1,967
    Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    Legacy names no longer unique is one of the dumbest changes ever.
    Yeah because getting to go back to my original name is totally dumb. Considering I don't think the guy who has it even plays anymore.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Amsden View Post
    Yeah because getting to go back to my original name is totally dumb. Considering I don't think the guy who has it even plays anymore.
    I already addressed this twice.
    WoW having more subs than SWTOR is the same thing as Justin Bieber having more youtube plays than Tupac. Just because its more popular doesn't mean its good.
    Warcraft Lore has gone from one of the most vast and interesting stories in all of gaming to a bad Thrall Fanfic by Chris Metzen.
    SWTOR Referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2MpjV9 7 free days and other free stuff.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    EDIT: And what happens to legacy mail now?
    You send mail to your other toons on your account. They say Legacy but really it is account tied. Just because someone has the same legacy name doesn't mean they are part of your legacy.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    Better idea then, a petition system that lets players ask Bioware if their character/legacy name is actually still in use. If it is not, they can request a change. Bioware then sends the person with the original name an email, and gives them lets say two weeks to respond. If they do not respond, the petitioner gets the name.

    This pointless change not only adds layers of unnecessary confusion, it also takes away from a lot of potential future features.
    I'm not sure which 'confusion' this change creates? We still retain our character name that we are known by. We have the option of changing our legacy name. You can put it back to the original if you so choose to. Also I don't understand the potential future features you're referring to. The Legacy system wasn't taken away or anything, so any features for the Legacy system will be unchanged.

  13. #13
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    1,967
    Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    I already addressed this twice.
    Doesn't change the fact that something like this is something I've been waiting for since the xfers. Just because you think it's dumb doesn't mean I have to agree with you.

    BW forcing inactive players to change their names is a great idea... unless that player comes back someday.

    I'm known by my character name, not my legacy name. Hell not even sure my guild knows my legacy name, I doubt especially after this change that they will invite some random just because they have the same legacy name as me.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    Legacy names no longer unique is one of the dumbest changes ever.
    I disagree with that.


    It's o different to running into someone you have no clue who they are, where there from and yet they have your last name.

    It's not a big deal at all and when you add in the amount of people that lost names and legacy names on the server transfers it makes sense to have legacy names not unique.

    Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    Best case scenario: It ruins things for RPers, makes people less easy to identify, and generally takes away a layer of customization.
    SNIP...
    It definitely wont ruin role players. Now they can have the same legacy names and act out marriages or family even better. If anything, RP gamers will love it.
    Last edited by quras; 2012-09-05 at 03:56 PM.

  15. #15
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bear Taco, Left Hand of Death
    Posts
    13,956
    Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    Better idea then, a petition system that lets players ask Bioware if their character/legacy name is actually still in use. If it is not, they can request a change. Bioware then sends the person with the original name an email, and gives them lets say two weeks to respond. If they do not respond, the petitioner gets the name.

    This pointless change not only adds layers of unnecessary confusion, it also takes away from a lot of potential future features.
    A petition system where someone doesn't even have to play the game, but can respond to an email just to keep their name? If I quit playing a game that I *might* come back to, I'm going to respond to that email every time. Not to mention that you would have thousands of petitions a day, which means more work for someone, which also means more money being spent running a F2P game. No, No, No...did I mention no?

    I don't even know anyone's legacy in my guild and I sure wouldn't be confused to see someone with my legacy. I would think, "Oh that's neat", or, "that bastard!". I sure wouldn't be confused.

  16. #16
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    1,967
    Legacy names are a minor cosmetic detail that mostly only affects the player. The fact they are now non unique is a quality of life change for non destination players and the new players that will be coming once f2p launches. I would rather see 2 Skywalkers than a Skywalker and a Sky'walker or Skywalkerr.

  17. #17
    Warchief WarpedAcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    2,019
    I would think the RP community would be happy about this as it allows spouses, relatives, families, ect... to all be a part of the same legacy. I remember back on Lord Adraas there were a pair of BH that had variations of the same last name. They were trying to be twins, which I thought was pretty cool. They had matching gear and all.

  18. #18
    I think more people may be reacting negatively about this because it looks like this was done for the benefit of the people who were recently forced off their server -- people who likely haven't been playing -- and not those who voluntarily left almost 3 months ago. This is something BioWare should have pushed out back then.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    Lets say you and I are on the same server and you do something that pisses me off. Say I am a really vindictive person and a huge dick. Whats to stop me from making a new f2p account, taking your legacy name, and getting myself invited to your guild. Hey, we've got the same legacy, how would they know the difference? I then proceed to steal your guild bank and general do everything I can to destroy your reputation. For all your guild and server knows, its you. You are now an outcast and cannot ever get into a guild again.
    This is going to happen. You can bet on it. As it is in another game a play, the guild I am in has a very open recruitment policy. We are casual and will invite just about anyone, then kick them later if they are an ass. However, every time I invite someone, or see someone invited, the first thing they do 9/10 is run and check the guild bank. I can stand by the bank upon invite and see it happen. 1 of 3 things normally happens at that point. 1) They see they have no access to withdraw and /gquit. 2) They see they have no access to withdraw and start asking for stuff. 3) Nothing.

    Now, they can look at it, see if they see anything they like, keep an eye on the guild and pick an active player. Copy his legacy name on a f2p account and get an invite to the guild, promoted, and loot the bank. They just have to wait for you to log off, then log on with their char that has your legacy name and pretend to be you. This has the potential to create quite the mess.

    The worst part is, those of you so attached to a name are sitting here defending a system so easily open to abuse.

    This is just one more example that shows BW has no idea what they are doing. Too many servers in the start was the first. Then a botched "forced" transfer system that did not handle who got to keep names well to try to fix that problem. Now this to try and fix the name problem. What are they going to do to "fix" the problems this causes?

    Now, all that said, I am still thinking about coming back the check the game out once it goes f2p, however, Rifts Expansion is coming out Nov 13th, so I may not have the time. I still think the game had a lot of potential too. They just lacked the experience in MMOs to make a AAA title like this one. I wish them well, but just don't see it happening, especially with them continuing to make decisions like this, that go back on what they already did and do not consider easily seen consequences.
    Rift - Lathais@Deepwood - 60 Rogue / Arrieleah@Deepwood - 60 Mage
    Check out this guide Guide for fresh 60's: The One Level 60 Guide - Updated for 2.5
    Check these out:Gaming/Computer Glasses
    My Multi-Touch Table Project

  20. #20
    Honestly the situation of someone pretending to be you on an alt and getting an invite and looting the guild bank can happen in any mmo that has a guild bank type feature. The whole legacy name as protection is sort a false protection because when you /who someone you don't see their Legacy name anyways. You only see that if you are standing with the person and they have that displaying. There are ways to prevent that, the easiest would be if your guild uses a voice chat program make it a rule that if someone wants an alt invited to the guild they have to be logged into the voice chat so they can verify it is actually you. There are other options a guild can take to protect itself as well. It just requires the guild to think about what would make sense for them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •