Combat "fix" in the additional patch notes.

So is this supposed to be one of the combat fixes that they were talking about? Or am I misunderstanding this?

"The cooldown indicator on hotbars no longer causes all ability icons to appear grayed out (unusable). Now, when an ability is on cooldown, it will not be grayed out if its activation conditions (like resource costs or range) are met"

Is it global cooldown they are talking about?
    I'm not the Devil. I'm much, much older. I watched the Beginning and I will see the End. I am the dark behind the stars. I am the dark inside you all.

Deleted
    Not sure but I think it could be something I've experienced. I'm using 2 different hotbars while leveling (1 set for dmg, 1 set for healing - sometimes my companion needs healing). If I use i.e. Hotkey 3 on my first hotbar and switch straight after to the second hotbar, the icon at the "Hotkey 3"-spot will be greyed out as if on cooldown - even though it isn't and I'm able to use it... hmm.. sounds slightly messy, but I hope you understand

I think they're talking the graying out, not the timer slide. This way, you can tell what abilities you can hit when the GCD is over, something I personally find very annoying on almost every toon I have, since I can't tell at a glance which abilities I have enough resources to execute while the GCD is active.

I haven't confirmed this on the test server, so this is pure assumption on my part.

Good change, the UI is atrocious so any step to bring it in line is a good step
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

Quote Originally Posted by Geekzilla View Post
    I think they're talking the graying out, not the timer slide. This way, you can tell what abilities you can hit when the GCD is over, something I personally find very annoying on almost every toon I have, since I can't tell at a glance which abilities I have enough resources to execute while the GCD is active.

I haven't confirmed this on the test server, so this is pure assumption on my part.
    Ah I see, I think you are right.

Just wondering where the animation/combat fixes will be. Did they say it was this patch or some other patch?
    I'm not the Devil. I'm much, much older. I watched the Beginning and I will see the End. I am the dark behind the stars. I am the dark inside you all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sethlol View Post
    Ah I see, I think you are right.

Just wondering where the animation/combat fixes will be. Did they say it was this patch or some other patch?
    Ohlen said something about fixes coming in the week after the patch as well to help deal with the combat/animation bugs. I'm not at home otherwise I'd link you the article.

Deleted
    Don't care about this change.

On my Warrior I press Heroic Strike - goes instantly.
    On my Sith Warrior I press Retaliation - well whoop dee doo, I need to spam for it to work in this skill and animations infested combat system. So annoying. So, so, SO annoying. Off gcd instant skills don't go off the instant when I press the button? Game is broken to me.

And yes, I have rage, I'm in range (there also seems to be lag on when positions update, I notice that when playing bounty hunter while trying to kite and then going back into range for rocket punch/retractable blade, they should update locations way more times per second) because it just works for me in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Assassination13 View Post
    Don't care about this change.

And yes, I have rage, I'm in range (there also seems to be lag on when positions update, I notice that when playing bounty hunter while trying to kite and then going back into range for rocket punch/retractable blade, they should update locations way more times per second) because it just works for me in WoW.
    This game would benefit greatly from a macro system like that in RIFT, where you can stack a bunch of combat moves and it takes the first one that is allowed.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

Yes! I've been begging for this to be fixed since beta.

this is not the same bug as the combat bug. the combat bug is the animations have priority over the spells actually going off. its a horrible way to do it, and during fast paced gameplay, the animations actually stop your abilities from going off properly.

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    this is not the same bug as the combat bug. the combat bug is the animations have priority over the spells actually going off. its a horrible way to do it, and during fast paced gameplay, the animations actually stop your abilities from going off properly.
    While I dont really want to restart this debate it is actually not entirely true that the animations have priority. I tested this on my BH with the interrupt ability "Quell" I did it over and over to be sure but it clearly showed the npc's action being interrupted immediately upon the use of the ability and well before the animation finished. While it is clear that there is something else going on in some cases I don't believe it is a simple case or the case at all that they have given priority to the animations over the ability firing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexies View Post
    While I dont really want to restart this debate it is actually not entirely true that the animations have priority. I tested this on my BH with the interrupt ability "Quell" I did it over and over to be sure but it clearly showed the npc's action being interrupted immediately upon the use of the ability and well before the animation finished. While it is clear that there is something else going on in some cases I don't believe it is a simple case or the case at all that they have given priority to the animations over the ability firing.
    PLAYER animations, has nothign to do with NPCs. You do some fast paced pvp/pve gameplay, and you will see 1 out of every 4 abilities you press wont go off, due to waiting for the animation from the previous ability to finish.

Also, it has nothing to do with, and thus doesnt affect, instant cast abilities...

10+ Year Old Account
    As an interesting aside to this topic I noticed an odd bit of behavior the other day. I was on my mount zipping along hoth and I tried to get by a mob without the dismount. Now normally when you are knocked off your mount theirs an animation when you fall flat on you ass and then get up off your hands on your knees. Something interesting happened this time though and I wish to god I took a screenshot, I was to busy laughing my ass off to realize what had happened. After I was dismounted I started to spam the lightening button. The normal animation where I would get up off the ground was INTERRUPTED while I was casting lightening bolts still flat on my face in the snow. In fact the animation did trigger partially as I got up to one knee but then the spam cast interrupted it and i was back face down in the snow. What I THINK this tells us is that the animations can indeed be interrupted and stopped from full completion by user input. Ohlen had mentioned in some gaming magazine article that an additional fix was coming for the week after 1.1 fix to help alleviate some of the combat lag. I wonder..
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2012-01-17 at 09:30 PM.

On my Warrior I press Heroic Strike - goes instantly. This is not a valid point... Heroic Strike queue's to the next auto attack. JUST SOME QUICK NIT PICKING.

Quote Originally Posted by ZEROWASHU View Post
    This game would benefit greatly from a macro system like that in RIFT, where you can stack a bunch of combat moves and it takes the first one that is allowed.
    Is that sarcasm?

because that made dps'ing in Rift terrible. Talk about easymode.

Quote Originally Posted by d1zzle23 View Post
    On my Warrior I press Heroic Strike - goes instantly. This is not a valid point... Heroic Strike queue's to the next auto attack. JUST SOME QUICK NIT PICKING.

No it doesent, it is an instant now, nothing to do with auto attack

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by d1zzle23 View Post
    I mean on my Warrior in World of Warcraft. So that makes it a valid point. Don't know about which game you are talking...

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennydabull View Post
    This is correct, and WoW did indeed have this same problem with certain spells at one time. Blizzard's solution was simply to clip some animations, and to shorten the length of others. Anyone who has played a Rogue in WoW for a long period of time will certainly have seen their kick, multilate and evicerate/envenom animations clip at one time or another. I suspect Bioware will do something very similar.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trix View Post
    Is that sarcasm?

because that made dps'ing in Rift terrible. Talk about easymode.
    Terrible design more like it. I don't see many warriors macroing execute and mortal strike into one macro like rift warriors. Because when you use Execute instead of Mortal Strike when you have 1 second left on your LttS buff after being kited. Oh ya. While Rift doesn't punish. Bad design, blame it, not macros.