View Poll Results: So is it right?

Voters
1012. This poll is closed
  • Yes, it should go to top performers who don't have the item

336 33.20%
  • No, your dumb and should not need of you have it.

608 60.08%
  • Maybe, not sure.

68 6.72%
Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NithonKT View Post
    Seems lately people want to play it leaders, if so then make your own raids and leave LFR alone. LFR is need before greed, not loot council
    This would be true if somehow the person doing this was guaranteed the loot, but they are not. They have the same chance of winning as anybody else, they are simply using the roll they earned to benefit somebody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    It's not for you to decide whether anyone other than yourself should roll need on something they've earned in a Need/Greed system.
    I can't stop you from doing it, but there's nothing stopping me from calling you out as a douche.

You've already admitted on another thread that you wouldn't bring this douchebaggery into LFD and roll need on stuff you don't need. I'm glad at least that you don't feel the need to be an asshole in LFD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larwood View Post
    This would be true if somehow the person doing this was guaranteed the loot, but they are not. They have the same chance of winning as anybody else, they are simply using the roll they earned to benefit somebody else.
    Man Larwood, your logic is simply amazing. I would hug you if I could. Somehow people dont seem to realize the point you and I are both trying to make...

Everyone has the SAME chance at the loot, yes... even the herpaderp afkers and baddies unfortunately..

Sure I have, but I've never carried a perpetual afk or a person who refuses to contribute. Besides, there tends not to be somebody else who can use the gear other than the carried in LFD. Point is, there is no parallel to draw between LFD and LFR for this situation.[COLOR="red"]
    The parallel is social etiquette that applies to both. Needing on things you don't need is a douche move and a huge mark against WoW's community. You are a major contributor to how bad WoW's community is today whether you want to admit it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by ganush View Post
    A better analogy would be him only being allowed to use one of the gift cards but now he has two. Should that gift card be given to the next best performer or to the worst performer?
    Not really because aside from weapons (with exception of a few classes) and trinkets you can use 2 of the same item (different reforges, offspec, etc).

Threads like this really show the biggest problem with the WoW community. It's not the newb or lazy players. It's the self-important egotistical jerks who get butthurt when someone unworthy wins loot and feels the need to play master looter.

The funny thing is that when asked most of these people admit they wouldn't act like such douches in LFD and roll need on stuff they didn't need. It's only LFR that they feel the need to act like dicks complete with all the rationalizations and justifications for why they're actually helping the game by keeping loot away from baddies.

I always knew there were a bunch of douchebags in the game, but it's only from these MMO-Champ threads that I've realized how prevalent asshole behavior has become. And ironically this asshole behavior comes from a lot of people who complain about how bad the WoW community is these days.
    Would you sit idly by if a tank or dps rolled on something the healer needed in a 5 man? If yes, would you still sit idly by if said tank or dps was afk through the entire fight on top of rolling on it for their OS? Saying yes to either of those situations makes you a much bigger douche than the person who tries to help.

Either way if you can roll need on an item you have every right to because group loot doesn't mean "only roll need on upgrades or pass because that's what I believe" it means "you participated in the boss kill so you have the same right to roll need on whatever dropped as the next person". Beliefs are reserved to master loot and whoever owns the item. In a group loot system if you win the roll you own the item, if you don't win better luck next time.

short summary:

if they have the piece of gear in question already : they are just greedy
    If none of them in your fancy example have the item, fair roll.
    Expecting someone who participated just as much in killing a boss to pass on loot for you just because it's what you believe is greedy. If you don't want people who participate in a boss to have a shot at rolling on loot because you are greedy then feel free to run it on normal and set it to master loot.

Quote Originally Posted by melak View Post
    answer me what on earth they can use the item for if they already have it?
    To give it to somebody deserving of it? Wait, do you even know what the hell this thread is about?

to use it? dont give me that bullshit
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but as somebody has already pointed out it is possible to find use of 2 items of the same type, eg. different gemming/chanting/reforging for different specs, which could cost a lot of gold and time to change repeatedly, especially in a hardcore progression or world-first race environment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SamR View Post
    I can't stop you from doing it, but there's nothing stopping me from calling you out as a douche.

You've already admitted on another thread that you wouldn't bring this douchebaggery into LFD and roll need on stuff you don't need. I'm glad at least that you don't feel the need to be an asshole in LFD.
    You have every right to call anyone you want a douche, this is the USA (except when it goes against the contract you agreed with on a private forum). And we have every right to smack you down for calling us douches. Isn't free speech grand?

Do you hit "need" on items you don't need in LFD? If you do, you're pretty greedy.

Same applies in LFR.
    On my paladin who has enchanting I need on everything I can need on in LFD. Why? I am a fast effective, generally high Dps in the dungeon. DPS need me to que to make there ques go faster.

In return, I make a killing on crystals. Even if I'm valor capped, when I'm bored I do heroics just to make gold.

I do however make sure people don't need the gear for main spec first. If its for there offspec, then I will roll agains't them.

Blizzard gave me the option to do this, and this is how I make my gold. So I don't care how people perceive it. It's right in my eyes.

Do me a favor and don't correct my spelling/grammar. I browse this site with a cell phone. Try harder next time to be an ass.

Because of the way LFR is implemented, performance/contribution are not factors. If your character was in the raid at the time of the boss dying, but decided not to participate you get the same chance of winning as the person who healed their butt off. I 100% disagree with that, so I approve of people who roll on every item they can and distribute it "more fairly."

Is it fair? Sure, the game allows it. Whether or not it's ethical is up to the individual, but it bothers me to see trash players who don't contribute at all (or cheated their way into lfr) winning items over people who are playing their best and helping the group win. Plus, it feels nice to trade someone an item they really wanted and make their day.
    It's called Bloodlust not Heroism.
    I used to be a good player once. Now I'm a casual

Quote Originally Posted by Henline View Post

Would you sit idly by if a tank or dps rolled on something the healer needed in a 5 man? If yes, would you still sit idly by if said tank or dps was afk through the entire fight on top of rolling on it for their OS? Saying yes to either of those situations makes you a much bigger douche than the person who tries to help.

Either way if you can roll need on an item you have every right to because group loot doesn't mean "only roll need on upgrades or pass because that's what I believe" it means "you participated in the boss kill so you have the same right to roll need on whatever dropped as the next person". Beliefs are reserved to master loot and whoever owns the item. In a group loot system if you win the roll you own the item, if you don't win better luck next time.

Expecting someone who participated just as much in killing a boss to pass on loot for you just because it's what you believe is greedy. If you don't want people who participate in a boss to have a shot at rolling on loot because you are greedy then feel free to run it on normal and set it to master loot.
    So you're rolling need on everything in LFD just in case? Can't say I've ever run into someone being that much of a douche in LFD. I bet your LFD groups love you as you're trying to rationalize with them about why you're rolling on things you don't need.

The parallel is social etiquette that applies to both. Needing on things you don't need is a douche move and a huge mark against WoW's community. You are a major contributor to how bad WoW's community is today whether you want to admit it or not.
    But as I said, and have just indicated in the post you are replying to, the ettiquette does not apply to both. They are completely different environments. Hell the loot systems aren't even the same.

I am not contributing to a bad community by doing what I can to combat the leeches, you are doing the damage by refusing to realise that everybody who participates in a kill deserves a shot at the spoils.

You've never carried anyone in LFD? Are you serious? How many LFDs have you run? You must be the luckiest guy in the world if you've never carried a bad DPS in a LFD run in Cata.
    It's possible someone will severely underperform, but it's much easier to vote kick them in a 5 man than it is a 25 man. Especially when there is no trash after the first boss in the 2nd half of DS so those players can continue to start the next encounter to prevent it from happening. It usually helps to think before you jump to conclusions and completely exclude common things.

Deleted
    To give it to somebody deserving of it? Wait, do you even know what the hell this thread is about?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but as somebody has already pointed out it is possible to find use of 2 items of the same type, eg. different gemming/chanting/reforging for different specs, which could cost a lot of gold and time to change repeatedly, especially in a hardcore progression or world-first race environment.
    you make me less excited about wow, im giving up on you and everyone else who think this behavior is ok, thank god your on US realms

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    You have every right to call anyone you want a douche, this is the USA (except when it goes against the contract you agreed with on a private forum). And we have every right to smack you down for calling us douches. Isn't free speech grand?
    I don't see much smacking down here. Just some defensive rationalizations.

Quote Originally Posted by melak View Post
    answer me what on earth they can use the item for if they already have it? sell it? just look at it in the inventory? these are not in my opinion decent reasons...
    So yes, they are greedy if they dont intend to use the item, thats what you have gear for right? to use it? dont give me that bullshit >.>
    Different reforges, offspec, etc. Just because you are to narrow-minded and ignorant to understand the obvious doesn't mean other people are.

I have to disagree with a lot of people here. I am sick of the lowest dps, the slacker healer or the tank that dies three times on Ultrax because he can't click, getting the loot. So I will need and pass it to someone who deserves. I still only have a chance of winning, and if I win, I have the right to do with it as I wish. LFR isn't about gearing, it is about allowing casuals to see all the content, so those players who work hard to carrying a bunch of other people through should be rewarded if I can help it. Though, the highest DPS on things like madness or Yor tend to be the ones who do not swap targets, so I actually look at their charts, and if they actually helped and didnt just sit there, I will give it to them.
    If you don't like me passing the gear I win to those who deserve it, then create a 10 man or 25 man grp, lead it, and try to kill some bosses. If you succeed you can pass loot out as you so desire.

It's possible someone will severely underperform, but it's much easier to vote kick them in a 5 man than it is a 25 man. Especially when there is no trash after the first boss in the 2nd half of DS so those players can continue to start the next encounter to prevent it from happening. It usually helps to think before you jump to conclusions and completely exclude common things.
    False, the kick timer is much more restrictive in LFD than LFR. Much easier to kick and replace in LFR.

False, the kick timer is much more restrictive in LFD than LFR. Much easier to kick and replace in LFR.
    It's almost impossible to kick in LFR because you're almost always in combat, in loot rolls, or in a situation where the person who would be kicked can start the next boss fight immediately.

I'd argue the narrow-minded people with ignorant views about people doing what they can to better the social norm in LFR are a bigger drain on the community. Ignoring people who leech from groups and get loot will not somehow make the problem go away, it will make it worse as more people resort to such behavior. Congratulations on encouraging the continued existence of leechers in LFR, I'd give you a plaque but you lost the roll to a guy watching youtube.

Exactly. You kids doing this can go around thinking you're white knights protecting us "goods" from the "bads", but I'm just going to stand here in my ilvl 380 gear and call you a douchebag for it. Deal with it.

Also, people saying that extra rolls don't hurt other people's chances are seriously uneducated. If five people roll for an item, each of those people has a better chance than if six people roll for it. What about that is hard to understand? If you have an item already yet you still roll on it, even if you're going to dole it out later to someone you feel "deserves it", you're still hurting individual chances of winning it on the initial roll.

I'd argue the narrow-minded people with ignorant views about people doing what they can to better the social norm in LFR are a bigger drain on the community. Ignoring people who leech from groups and get loot will not somehow make the problem go away, it will make it worse as more people resort to such behavior. Congratulations on encouraging the continued existence of leechers in LFR, I'd give you a plaque but you lost the roll to a guy watching youtube.
    Needing on items you already have/don't need makes you just as big a douche as the guy watching Youtube. You're hurting legitimate players chances just as much as Captain AFK.

I think SamR's point, which I agree with, is that you doing something dickish is not combating other people's douchebaggery. Really you're both being assholes to the rest of us and are both plagues on the community, albeit for doing two different things.
    Last edited by Appletini; 2012-01-17 at 10:36 PM.