Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    I find it weird that anyone could Rage about Mario Kart, even when you lose it's still good ol' fun.
    The first time you're hit by the blue shell, it's a WTF moment, but you carry on(and almost irrevocably lost your lead).

IMO the entire idea of the blue shell...completely designed to screw over first place...is an abomination to the game. It spits in the face of skill so much so, that I struggle right now to come up with analogy to match it.

OK I think I have one. Have you ever played the board game "Sorry"? It's just like any other boring board game where you roll the dice and advance. My memory is foggy but one of two things can happen which immediately you RIGHT BACK TO THE BEGINNING, with no recourse whatsoever.

- you pick a card that says "SORRY!"
    - you land on a SORRY! square

totally ball busting

Have to agree with this. ^

Mario Kart has always been fun, I enjoy both Wii and 7, getting hit by items is just part of the game and isn't really rage-worthy. But in these last two iterations of the game, that blue shell has become the supermegadeath-unavoidable-bag-of-bricks-to-the-nuts that will make you rageface harder with each consecutive one you bend over to receive. Not only that, if you spend a reasonable amount of time in first place, you will be hit by one. (or four...)

In 64, there were ways of avoiding it, it hit other racers, it took forever to reach you... but now it just fucking flies through the entire course and hits you in a matter of seconds, completely immobilizing you for several seconds, and if you happen to be in midair at the time (yeah, this fucking makes sense) enjoy the 100% loss of momentum and long fall.
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2012-01-17 at 08:47 PM.

honestly your only defense is that multi-shell shield, but you have to be a master at the slot machine to perfectly time your press and GET that multi shell. if you get the banana peel instead, heaven help you because your first place is gonna slip away

otherwise i don't how how the hell you're supposed to avoid it

Blue shells. They were acceptable to an extent in every other game, then in MK7 they make it so the shells hit anyone in a path while they are flying. So it not only screws over the person in first, but anyone else who happens to get in front of the shell. The last thing they needed was a buff.
    Red shells can fly in MK7. They didn't need that either!
    And how everyone picks that Maka Wuhu course in online for the glitch to skip half the track. Nintendo said they have no plans to fix that :/

Oh, and Wiggler/Queen Bee are just bad character additions. They were never cool in any game!
    Last edited by Skelington; 2012-01-17 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Why Mario Kart makes me rage when I play, two words: Blue Shells.

Even worse, blue shells on rainbow road. FFFFF-
    Agree! 100% XD Even a red shell on the loop part can sometimes make for a deadly fall.

Rainbow road is a pretty dumb map on MK7. At the beginning it's pretty much whoever is heavy, fast, and gets the coins first, wins because half the people can't drive worth shit and end up knocking everyone, including themselves, off the course.

Also 1st place triple banana is easier to get than trying to get triple shells. Banana is stronger on maps with canons such as Maple Treeway, Waluigi's Pinball, and Airship Fortress since you can drop them right at the touchdown point after flight making them unavoidable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    Red shells can fly in MK7. They didn't need that either!
    Red shells are fine. They're actually really great when you're near someone with a defense and you can hit them if they're in mid air off a jump.

The worst items are the leaf, blooper, and blue shell. I only say the leaf because if it gets directly hit by anything you lose it unless you hit them back, but if you attack you fuck up your drift. Bananas are a way better defense. The blooper is useless against humans. The only time it's gonna fuck someone up is if they don't know all the courses both mirror and regular, soon enough you know the level and most of the time online you'll only be racing on regular.

It's a party game, it's supposed to be random. Otherwise the jerk who plays heaps of Mario Kart would obliterate all his friends who are just playing casually, or have never played before, and that would be no fun.

If you rage in Mario Kart you're really looking at games the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by Brofl View Post
    Rainbow road is a pretty dumb map on MK7. At the beginning it's pretty much whoever is heavy, fast, and gets the coins first, wins because half the people can't drive worth shit and end up knocking everyone, including themselves, off the course.

Red shells are fine. They're actually really great when you're near someone with a defense and you can hit them if they're in mid air off a jump.

The worst items are the leaf, blooper, and blue shell. I only say the leaf because if it gets directly hit by anything you lose it unless you hit them back, but if you attack you fuck up your drift. Bananas are a way better defense. The blooper is useless against humans. The only time it's gonna fuck someone up is if they don't know all the courses both mirror and regular, soon enough you know the level and most of the time online you'll only be racing on regular.
    Skelington likes this rainbow road. All of that is part of the fun. A lot better than that SNES one they brought back. That one isn't very fun, and more people seem to screw up there more often than the new one.

Well, only when using them. It's a lot worse when you're in midair and get hit. Like that rock mountain course, right before the big gliding part. Someone always manages to knock Skelington off right after he goes off the ramp...

Leaf is a pretty poor item. It has come in handy when other people are really close, and has saved Skelington from a shell or two, but he is always disappointed when getting it. More often than not, its only purpose is to wait for it to disappear so you can get a better item. Blooper is just awful.

I'm reminded of an XKCD comic where a guy lists a pie chart of his profanity, and the largest portion is mario kart.

That said, I absolutely love using the blue shell on people. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    It's a party game, it's supposed to be random. Otherwise the jerk who plays heaps of Mario Kart would obliterate all his friends who are just playing casually, or have never played before, and that would be no fun.
    Experience and skill should be rewarded, it's ridiculous when some idiot in 5th gets a blue shell to fuck your day up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    Skelington likes this rainbow road. All of that is part of the fun. A lot better than that SNES one they brought back. That one isn't very fun, and more people seem to screw up there more often than the new one.
    It always seems in the new one if you're heavy you have an advantage at the beginning allowing you to grab the first coins, which gives you a huge advantage since there's not a lot of coins throughout the course, and once you get coins you stay in first unless you take a blue. The SNES RR is a good course, lots of turns which rewards proper drifting. The only thing that sucks is it's very narrow allowing for 1st to exploit with bananas.
    Last edited by Borfl; 2012-01-17 at 11:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the race is pretty close for most of it its better to just hang back a little from first unless you can get a really big lead and then blues shells dont even matter!

Quote Originally Posted by Brofl View Post
    Blue shells used to kick my ass until I learned mushroom boosts persisted in MK7.

The ONLY thing that makes me rage in MK7 nowadays is when assholes online have this OCD hard on to pick the broken course Maka Wuhu for free points. It's so stupid to join a game where 3/8 people ONLY pick that map since everyone does the fucking exploit that takes 0 skill to pull off.

I agree the game is heavily RNG based. You can build defenses to deter most items, however most of the time the match comes down to either A. You have a huge unshakable lead or B. You sit in 5th place get a star on the final lap and power play your way to victory.

I still think in future Mario karts they should increase triple shell frequency and reserve blues ONLY for 2nd place and only IF 1st has a ridiculous lead.
    Oh god I hate wuhu mountain loop. Every time I see metal mario pick it...FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

the only good thing is because everyone uses the glitch the race is over pretty quick

15+ Year Old Account
    Count blue shells by staying in second most of the time. Save a red shell just in case. Red shell person in first on last lap, win. Granted, doesn't always work as things can always go wrong from there to the last lap but still, being in first, blue shells kinda hit you non step.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    I find it weird that anyone could Rage about Mario Kart, even when you lose it's still good ol' fun.
    Its not really a throw your 3DS or controller at the wall rage for me, more like an "UGHHH" kind of thing. Now some situations in Pokemon is a throw your ds at a wall type rage.