Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Time To Upgrade To A New Router?

hey guys im wondering if its time to buy a new router because it has been a little slow for quite some time. Currently i am using a Linksys WRT54G version 3 wireless router. We have 2 desktop computers upstairs and a wireless laptop as well. My computer has the router on the desk in my room and the other 2 computers work off the wi-fi. The network adapter cards are an 802.11n Wireless LAN Card and a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller on my new Acer desktop running windows 7 if that helps too. The other desktop didnt come with a wireless card so i bought a usb connector for the wi-fi and that runs windows 7 and the laptop is windows vista also. So basically I am looking to find out if its the router itself..the wireless card or my internet connection? I have the optimum online triple play package thru cablevision and what not for the modems--Thanks!

15+ Year Old Account
    define "slow"

also, www.speedtest.net and post the results to a place in cali, texas, chicago, NY, and seattle (assuming you're US since you have comcast)
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Deleted
    Your router is from around 2002 according to Wikipedia. Therefore I think it's a 802.11b or 802.11g. The newest is 802.11n.

802.11b is limited at around 11 Mbit/sec

802.11g is limited at around 22 Mbit/sec

802.11n can get limited at around 54 Mbit/sec

Could that be the problem? Head to www.speedtest.net and test your connection.

Also make sure it's secured. Neighbors could be bumming your net and slowing you down.
    Moo.

its secure with a wep key pw..for the speedtest.net results..im in NJ..and got 13ms ping 20.12 mbps download speed and 2.03 mbps upload speed for NJ. For CA i got 86ms ping 12.31 mbps download speed and 2.05 upload speed. For TX i got 120ms ping 21.26 mbps download speed and 1.99 mbps upload speed. I dont have comcast though..its cablevision with optimum online for the isp but im assuming those speeds are normal for my type of router? But from what robinhoodexe is saying..im using a very old router basically..so my question is am i better off with a new up to date router for faster speeds or have cablevision take a look at my modem and connection lines?

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampshades View Post
    its secure with a wep key pw..for the speedtest.net results..im in NJ..and got 13ms ping 20.12 mbps download speed and 2.03 mbps upload speed for NJ. For CA i got 86ms ping 12.31 mbps download speed and 2.05 upload speed. For TX i got 120ms ping 21.26 mbps download speed and 1.99 mbps upload speed. I dont have comcast though..its cablevision with optimum online for the isp but im assuming those speeds are normal for my type of router? But from what robinhoodexe is saying..im using a very old router basically..so my question is am i better off with a new up to date router for faster speeds or have cablevision take a look at my modem and connection lines?
    I'd suggest replacing the router with a 300N wireless router as that appears to be your bottleneck at the moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhoodexe View Post
    Your router is from around 2002 according to Wikipedia. Therefore I think it's a 802.11b or 802.11g. The newest is 802.11n.

802.11b is limited at around 11 Mbit/sec

802.11g is limited at around 22 Mbit/sec

802.11n can get limited at around 54 Mbit/sec

Could that be the problem? Head to www.speedtest.net and test your connection.
    G is 54 Mb/s

N is 54-300 Mb/s depending on the frequency used and the amount of interference

Actual throughput may vary

the OP also has the option of flashing his router with DD-WRT, it won't increase speed, but it will add more modern functionality to it

I'm skipping technical details, english isn't my first tongue.
    The only thing your ISP can "garantee" you is the speed between the cable modem and their network equipment. Not far beyond that. The result you got near where you live seems like everythings fine on the side of you internet connection. If you'd have some trouble with your cable modem, you'd probably hear it when you talk to people on the phone. Trouble hearing them or they don't hear you.

You also have to keep in mind that if your 3 computers are using the connection at the same time, your ping will be higher.

The test things, you have to see them by block. Try to isolate them 1 by 1. The connection itself, your wireless network, etc. You'll nail the thing in the end.
    I gotta go, hope this helps.

I was checking out some of the wireless routers from Netgear and found a bunch of "N300 Wireless Routers" and some N600/N750's dual band gigabit routers as well..thats what ur talking about?

---------- Post added 2012-01-17 at 11:35 PM ----------

yea we actually had some1 come to the house because our downstairs phone had some static..the guy came to the house and it ended up being the phone..so for all i no my wireless router connection can be fine..im just curious if i can get a faster connection with a new updated router pretty much-thanks again though for the help guys..im gunna keep messing with this

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    By upgrading the wireless router you have the potential to increase the amount of data that the wireless router can stream at any point in time. Assuming you are using a standard wireless G router, which based off of your original post you are, you could see up to three to six times the speed being transmitted.

I also have zero experience with Netgear routers so I would be unable to offer you any advice regarding the N600/N750 routers. However I do recall a recent Maximum PC review on the N750 which it faired very well.

yea i have been looking up some reviews and prices on the n600/n750/n300 netgear routers on bestbuy.com. The reviews are pretty much hit or miss..some people review them good some people review them bad..and prices range from like 100-180$.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    TP-LINK TL-WR941ND is what I personally have in my home. I regularly have two laptops and two desktops, not including cell phones, using this wireless router without a hiccup. There are better units available, that much is sure, I just figured I'd offer up what I have first hand experience with.

hmm not bad then..doing more research on the netgear routers i found that they use a WPS security for there connection and that unless all the Wi-Fi devices on the network are WPS-compatible, you will not be able to take advantage of the ease of securing the network..also found that if your wireless device does not support WPS, it can be hard to join a network that was set up with WPS because the wireless network name and security key are random sequences of letters and numbers. sounds pretty lame cuz i was leaning more towards the netgear routers too

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    You don't have to use the WPS security, it is just a one button option for a "simple" security solution. You're better off setting up the security key the same way you did on your old one. I personally can't stand WPS security options and prefer the tried and true method of just setting it up myself through the routers configuration page.

oh cuz im assuming you have to use the wps security becasuse right now i have the WEP key pw and like that method..also been looking into the cisco linksys routers and some of them seem to be really nice as well

---------- Post added 2012-01-18 at 12:39 AM ----------

and the cisco linksys routers use a wpa/wpa2 encryption and spi firewall for the network protection too and there new stuff ranges from like 80-180$

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not a huge fan of cisco/linksys I find their antenna arrays in the routers are garbage in comparison to a traditional antenna. Pretty much any router that has built in internal antenna's versus a traditional antenna sticking out the back I've had a bad experiences with, whether its my own purchase or one I'm setting up for a client.

Any new router should offer you WPA/WPA2/WEP security options.

To give you an idea before settling on my generic $50 TP Link router I tried three different Cisco routers suggested by my distributor and all 3 didn't have the range that this generic $50 router has.

does ur router have that dual band 2.4 and 5ghz capability?

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    does ur router have that dual band 2.4 and 5ghz capability?
    Negative just 2.4Ghz.

Dug up that Maximum PC review on the Netgear router.

yea that router has a nice review but most reviews ive been reading are when some1 has the router for only a few days or weeks..i need to see reviews on where some1 has had it for a few months..but the netgear and cisco linksys routers all seem to have the same reviews and price ranges too

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    yea that router has a nice review but most reviews ive been reading are when some1 has the router for only a few days or weeks..i need to see reviews on where some1 has had it for a few months..but the netgear and cisco linksys routers all seem to have the same reviews and price ranges too
    Routers, aren't really designed to degrade over time. Eventually all products fail, but if it provides the functionality you need now, it's not going to suddenly disappears months down the road unless it fails. And your router is the same as mine, we've both had it for about 8 years, I don't think you should worry too much about how it performs 'down the road'.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard