Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderSheephard View Post
    I personally think that this might hinder their ability to corner the majority of MMO players who see the leveling process as a means to an ends instead of as the game itself.
    This isn't a bad thing. There are already 2 succesful MMOs with a heavy concentration on end-game, there's nothing wrong with Star Wars being somewhere for us to enjoy the journey. I'm mightilly enjoying the whole RP part of the game and it's good to get such a rich experience in a massively multiplayer environment (even if seeing a dozen other Sithquisitors with Khem does requiring some heavy-duty blinkering to keep disbelief suspended).

If you view leveling as a chore you slog through to get to endgame content then SW:TOR is probably not the game for you. All that talk about story-based MMO should've been a big hint.

This certainly does limit its appeal because frankly >95% of WoW players seem to have this attitude. It's probably just caused by playing an MMO for such a long period. Try to recapture the wonder of your youth, when leveling was the game, not the chore!

I hit a different wall last night. I was playing a Sith Warrior with the intenton of going Darkside with the occasional moral choice here and there. Then I was presented with the interesting option of redemption in one of the class quests and I picked that path finding it an nice little twist or changing moment for my characters personal story.

I was happy with my choice...

Until I tried to fight my way back through mobs... only to find that because I'm no longer Dark Side II I can no longer use my lightsabers that I have equipped...

I just closed down the game and opened up BF3. The fact a game mechanic managed to ruin my immersion in story disappointed me greatly.

15+ Year Old Account
    I had a similar issue with my Powertech. Can't play her because as a tank you are gimp without relics which require either full Light or Dark commitment.

Either way.

I understand what the OP is saying, but I am thinking it depends on how much you are actually roleplaying your character. If you do not play your character you are probably getting tired of making decisions all the time. I personally think that this game requires you to be a roleplayer regardless what server you are on - at least for yourself. Many people have difficulties with in-character thinking and rather think in terms of getting over this "talk thingy".
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

I cancelled my subscription today, with 4 days to go on the first 30. Couldn't bring myself to continue the level grind after hitting level 28...just not fun anymore. It's extremely repetitious, and the huge amount of travelling required between quests in Tattooine and Aldera (spelling 28-32 planet) simply became far to tedious to me.

As a contrast, when I levelled in Rift last year at the launch, I never got bored with it, probably due to the constant invasions.

The invasions were fun up until about a month after being at level cap really.

Deleted
    Bioware definitely overdid it with the voice-overs.

At first I listened to everything, but then I got tired of it quickly and spacebared through everything.

Then I had difficulties actually following what was going on and tried to listen to the main plot at least. It was still confusing at times, especially when you wern't sure if you were doing you class quest or the planet-story.

For the future, I'd like to see Bioware focus more on the class stories and planet-stories, and make all the remaining quests "public quests", similar to Warhammer Online.

Who says I have to speak to somebody before freeing prisoners? Why can't I just do it and get rewarded for it anyway. In a way Bonus quests already work like that and I'd like to see them continue using that system.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigg View Post
    Wow, you haven't even got the depth to see my sentance as what it was. "i have no idea what you're talking about" meant i have no idea what wall you're talking about. He was talking about a wall, i have experienced no such thing. sorry if my reply was too difficult for you to grasp but this was the jist: "there is no wall, it's just you, your friends, they expected too much, didn't take the game for what it is, didn't enjoy the new environment and the new fullfillment the game has to offer. This wall was created by you. Not the game." Get over yourself. You're not always right and neither am i, if you're not gfing to have the thought to understand other's comments, don't bother replying to them.
    No hope. Just because you have experienced no such thing doesn't mean it doesn't happen to anyone else. Then you take his post as complaining, even though it wasn't. It was something that he and others have experienced or seen/heard from others.

And you just didn't get. Again, no hope.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderSheephard View Post
    Anyone else notice this?
    I don't. Sounds like you and your guild is playing the game too much in one sitting. But I do get a bit curious as to how a conversation would go out if I say something different, so I hit the escape button and try out as many combinations as I can. :P

But honestly, I don't get ego depletion or decision fatigue. Maybe you get it if you are not interested in the story of the game and just play to see how fast you can clear through it.

---------- Post added 2012-01-17 at 07:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    This isn't a bad thing. There are already 2 succesful MMOs with a heavy concentration on end-game, there's nothing wrong with Star Wars being somewhere for us to enjoy the journey. I'm mightilly enjoying the whole RP part of the game and it's good to get such a rich experience in a massively multiplayer environment (even if seeing a dozen other Sithquisitors with Khem does requiring some heavy-duty blinkering to keep disbelief suspended).
    It also helps them too as a way to keep players busy while they continue to polish up and or release new content. Though I haven't hit level 50, I like the idea that they are going to release new content, and give me more to do when I do get there eventually.

I recently got lazy with one of my characters and had no motivation to level him at all bare in mind this was 30-40 but when i get like that with any game it's usually because i've played it like everyday and non stop i take a break for 3 hours or a day.. come back and i love it again.. or level an alt.. thats what i usually do

There is no wall. (for me anyway)
    I play my characters as characters - they have personality, motivation, likes, dislikes.. And that's partially what's got me so hooked on this game - I'm really attached to my character. Much RPG to be had. <3

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    First of all, OP gets props for the Avatar.

Second of all, the decisions were a major selling point of ToR. Both as a solo RPG and as an MMORPG. Most reviews I've read give the most props to the decision system and how the game actually changes based on what you pick. For me, as a fan of such morality systems as Fable 3, this is a major selling point for me. And in many ways the reason why I am considering buying ToR to play /alongside/ WoW.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess Day View Post
    And that is also why it is an entirely un-enjoyable and unimmersive experience.
    I love posts like this.

/logs onto wow and enjoys leveling while being immersed.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Bioware definitely overdid it with the voice-overs.
    Man, do I agree with this. I got through about 15 levels listening to all the voice overs before getting sick of them. It turned on subtitles and just read while using the spacebar.
    Stating an opinion as fact does not make it fact. Opinions are not fact. So don't be stupid and make a fool of yourself by trying to pass off your opinion as fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwickslash View Post
    I hit a different wall last night. I was playing a Sith Warrior with the intenton of going Darkside with the occasional moral choice here and there. Then I was presented with the interesting option of redemption in one of the class quests and I picked that path finding it an nice little twist or changing moment for my characters personal story.

I was happy with my choice...

Until I tried to fight my way back through mobs... only to find that because I'm no longer Dark Side II I can no longer use my lightsabers that I have equipped...

I just closed down the game and opened up BF3. The fact a game mechanic managed to ruin my immersion in story disappointed me greatly.

Yeah I wanted my Operative to be kind of neutral, always going for what helped the Empire best, not the dark side...but being neutral neuters your ability in this game it seems, so dark side it is! (Since I already have two light side characters)

I have expirienced no "Wall" because of decision making in any way, and I have played through every classes starting area and a couple to 20+ and higher!

And here I was hoping for an amusing anecdote about playing TOR and listening to Pink Floyd.

/disappointed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess Day View Post
    And that is also why it is an entirely un-enjoyable and unimmersive experience.
    Read the quest texts then. Even killing 10 boars might have a funny little story in them.
    Personally I like the "Press accept or read through if you want" style rather than the "Spam spacebar or listen through". Reading is much much faster and sometimes in swtor the comments the player charater makes is completely out of context and repetetive.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
    There is no point being part of history if you're too ignorant to understand it.

My biggest problem getting to level 50 so far has been the countless pointless,"go hear, click N robots/computer terminals/switches/whatevers, turn in" quests that you have to do in a ratio of 5:1 to story quests.

The story quests are great on all the characters I've leveled, and really engaging. I just don't enjoy the mindless filler quests which, while they have a (VERY minor) back story, are not entertaining in the least.

I started the game listening to every bit of flavor text being thrown at me. At this point though I simply space bar through the filler quest text (still listen to story quests) because even when i was paying attention to it I never really gave a rat's ass why i was clicking the holo-terminal. It was inconsequential as soon as i turned it in and added nothing to the story.

I think they would have done better to expand the stories significantly and make the story quests a full 40-50 hour game in and of themselves which would put you at level cap. Would have been a much more entertaining experience for me, especially since one of the main selling points is an immersive story. Yes I realize to do this is probably not very realistic in the fact you'd need a 40-50 hour campaign for each class and budget/time/whatever constraints would limit this, I just have problems being immersed by story when I have an hour of filler nonsense between each plot point.
    Last edited by Bcons; 2012-01-18 at 05:13 AM.