Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Thanks for the help guys

Currently ive checked my Bios Version and it does already says it supports the new CPU, its not upgraded to the last version tho. The heatsink have made contact with the CPU since the paste is on the CPU now. Im using the fan that came with the CPU. The CPU fan is spinning aswell.

Ive started to come to the conclusion that maybe the CPU is just broken? Updating a Bios to its fullest when it says it already supports it isnt neccessary?

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    If the computer works fine with the old CPU and not the new one I would go through these steps:

1) Update BIOS
    2) Reset BIOS to default settings
    3) Reset CMOS
    4) Reseat memory

If I have gone though those steps and the PC still doesn't work with the new CPU then I would say the issue is the CPU. This is assuming you have confirmed the CPU is supported by the motherboard manufacturer, if that hasn't been done then that should be step 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Reguilea View Post
    Oh my god....

Research first please.
    Intel i7-800 series and i5 750/760 is socket 1156. For example the i7-870. The I5 2xxx and I7 2xxx Sandybridge are socket 1155.
    Also the Intel i7 900 series is socket 1366
    I didn't click his link, I wrongfully assumed that if someone bought a Core i7 recently that they meant Sandy Bridge.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is the fan securely seated on the CPU and plugged into the correct spot on the motherboard? There should be a label in white writing somewhere near where the fan is plugged in that says CPU_FAN or something similar to that, it should be a 4 pin connector. You should also look and see if there is some sort of system to the beeps. I have an Asus P68 and it has different beep rhythms based on what the issue is. You may also have lights that denote which part of the system the mobo is checking currently, just watch the lights and wait to see where it fails. Are you sure that you have mounted the CPU in the correct way as well? Seems silly, but I'm betting someone somewhere has forced their CPU in the wrong orientation. The only other things I can think of is to take the CPU off again, reapply thermal paste (a blob roughly the size of a pea) and make sure you seat the fan and mount it without twisting it around too much, it should make kind of a vacuum seal.
    "I love the name of honor more than I fear death
    -Shakespear, Julius Caesar

If you linked your motherboard someone could check if it supports the new CPU.
    If it does support the new CPU, clear CMOS and try boot again.

Quote Originally Posted by LeVvE View Post
    If you linked your motherboard someone could check if it supports the new CPU.
    If it does support the new CPU, clear CMOS and try boot again.
    I added it in the first post

---------- Post added 2012-01-18 at 06:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Shammyhealz View Post
    Is the fan securely seated on the CPU and plugged into the correct spot on the motherboard? There should be a label in white writing somewhere near where the fan is plugged in that says CPU_FAN or something similar to that, it should be a 4 pin connector. You should also look and see if there is some sort of system to the beeps. I have an Asus P68 and it has different beep rhythms based on what the issue is. You may also have lights that denote which part of the system the mobo is checking currently, just watch the lights and wait to see where it fails. Are you sure that you have mounted the CPU in the correct way as well? Seems silly, but I'm betting someone somewhere has forced their CPU in the wrong orientation. The only other things I can think of is to take the CPU off again, reapply thermal paste (a blob roughly the size of a pea) and make sure you seat the fan and mount it without twisting it around too much, it should make kind of a vacuum seal.
    There isnt any sound at all. All fans are spinning, the paste is on the CPU. Im 100% sure the CPU is mounted correctly.
    What ive noticed is that a red lamp called MemOk is turned on now. Dont used to be, what does this mean?
    Last edited by Spoonman; 2012-01-18 at 05:14 PM.

Deleted
    If you've done all the obvious suggestions (checked for damage, connections, paste, etc...) there's three other options.

1) Update you Bios - Very unlikely to work.
    2) Check your memory, you may not have alligned it properly when you put it back in the machine. (I hope you took it out before you put the new CPU in).
    3) The CPU is dead, contact the supplier.

Hope you get it working.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodNewsEveryone View Post
    If you've done all the obvious suggestions (checked for damage, connections, paste, etc...) there's three other options.

1) Update you Bios - Very unlikely to work.
    2) Check your memory, you may not have alligned it properly when you put it back in the machine. (I hope you took it out before you put the new CPU in).
    3) The CPU is dead, contact the supplier.

Hope you get it working.
    Cheers Ive checked with the supplier today and the CPU was idd working when they tested it. I did not remove my RAMs before I put in the new CPU tho. As I put in my old CPU which im using right now. Everything works like normal

You might need to reset the CMOS. Look on your motherboard for a large flat battery and remove it for a minute, then put it back in. that'll reset thee CMOS and hopefully will solve your issues

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantii View Post
    You might need to reset the CMOS. Look on your motherboard for a large flat battery and remove it for a minute, then put it back in. that'll reset thee CMOS and hopefully will solve your issues
    I would remove the battery, unplug the computer, press the power button, then put the battery back in, plug it back in and start it up. Clears up any remaining power from the capacitors.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Quote Originally Posted by Stormreage View Post
    Most likely caused by not reapplying thermal paste.

Dont listen to them socket jerks. That i7 fits perfectly in your 1156
    Havent read further than this post but wtf would thermal paste do in preventing your pc from booting? You can even run a pc somewhat safely w/o thermal paste to begin with if the heatsink is on, this is not ideal but it will run and likely wont fry your chip too quickly under normal conditions.

---------- Post added 2012-01-19 at 01:06 AM ----------

K now I read further, as stated update bios but it really shouldnt do anything, definitely reset your Cmos however another thing which sounds dumb but pull your cpu out look for bent broken or missing pins, then make sure the golden triangle is in the right corner if no pins are broken and try again. Also use your old cpu and see what happens.

Bumping this if its ok, the reason is that I find it unnecesary to start a new topic and that there is a follow up problem.
    Ive managed to get the computer up and running with the i7. There seems to be a problem with my Ram Memory sticks and the i7 together. I own 2x2 gb 1.6 MHz Corsair Rams and by using both I cannot start the computer with the i7 in it. But by only using one stick the computer works.

So im thinking that I need to buy new RAMs, should I buy 1x4 gb instead or is the problem just with these certain RAMs?
    What do u guys think?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
    Bumping this if its ok, the reason is that I find it unnecesary to start a new topic and that there is a follow up problem.
    Ive managed to get the computer up and running with the i7. There seems to be a problem with my Ram Memory sticks and the i7 together. I own 2x2 gb 1.6 MHz Corsair Rams and by using both I cannot start the computer with the i7 in it. But by only using one stick the computer works.

So im thinking that I need to buy new RAMs, should I buy 1x4 gb instead or is the problem just with these certain RAMs?
    What do u guys think?
    Have you tried each stick, or just one of the two with your attempts? Also you're making sure you're putting them in slots 1/3 or 2/4 and not 1/2?
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    Have you tried each stick, or just one of the two with your attempts? Also you're making sure you're putting them in slots 1/3 or 2/4 and not 1/2?
    The thing is here that if I use my old I3 CPU I can run with both the sticks. With the i7 I can only run with one. They are both placed as they should be placed. Still, Ive tried to move them around and while I can start it when 2 sticks are on the Mobo but placed wrong only one can be shown.

10+ Year Old Account
    The thing is here that if I use my old I3 CPU I can run with both the sticks. With the i7 I can only run with one. They are both placed as they should be placed. Still, Ive tried to move them around and while I can start it when 2 sticks are on the Mobo but placed wrong only one can be shown.
    Are they being detected in the BIOS, or does the system not boot at all with both sticks in place?

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    Are they being detected in the BIOS, or does the system not boot at all with both sticks in place?
    The system doesnt boot at all with both the sticks. No beeps at all

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    It says socket 1156 on the box the proccessor came with. If it wasnt the right socket I wouldnt be able to even fit it on my motherboard aye?
    dont worry, he is wrong. 1156 is gen 1 core, 1155 is gen 2, im almost positive an 1155 processor will not fit in an 1156 board either.

this may be your issue here? im not sure without actually being there but this can cause boot issues, im wondering if one of your dimm slots is brokedid. and for future reference ram goes in pairs on most current computers, if there is 4 slots the first pair usually goes in slot 1,3. so try that out..
    Last edited by jmacphee9; 2012-01-19 at 09:13 PM.
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga