Macro Inception?!

Hey there, is it possible to put a macro inside a macro? I was thinking, My current macro looks like this:

#Showtooltip Chimera Shot
    /cast [nomod] Chimera Shot
    /cast [mod:Shift] Frost Trap

Is there any way to add in Trap launcher? Like, could you do /cast [mod:Shift] Trap Launcher + Frost Trap some way ? :b

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm... not sure what you're looking to do, but you can't put a macro inside a macro.

You could put Trap Launcher onto [mod:alt] or [mod:ctrl] if you wanted.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

I was just going for if there is any way to write the macro so it casts Trap Launcher before Frost Trap. I was really unsure, so figured I would ask. Have been thinking about that myself, but if I could spare a keybind by adding it into the macro itself that was preferential. (:

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The answer to the question "can a macro call a macro" is "sort of"; you can /click another macro from within a macro.

On the other hand, a macro can only incur a single global cooldown (GCD).

In your case, your "/cast Chimera Shot" will incur a GCD, and the frost trap drop also requires a GCD, so it will not be executed. Note however that the "/cast frost trap" isn't a macro call.

Your next question may be, how do you trap launch and frost trap in one macro... and the same thing will happen here - they both incur a GCD so require two button presses. Personally, I have one hot key for trap launch (c-T) and another hot key for each of my traps (c-X explosive, c-S snake, c-F frost, c-E ice). If I want to drop an explosive trap where I am, c-X. If I want to launch an explosive trap, c-T (move target circle and drop it), c-X.

Off-topic - anyone notice a change in trap launcher a couple months ago? Seems like it got a lot clunkier a while back...

---------- Post added 2012-01-17 at 01:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Xelius View Post
    I was just going for if there is any way to write the macro so it casts Trap Launcher before Frost Trap. I was really unsure, so figured I would ask. Have been thinking about that myself, but if I could spare a keybind by adding it into the macro itself that was preferential. (:
    You may be able to use a castsequence for it, but they (launcher + trap) can't happen on the same single button hit.

So it would be something like:

/cast !Trap Launcher
    /cast Frost Trap

And then just press it twice?

The problem with that is that it will have to use Trap Launcher twice, and ending up costing you twice the focus, due to GCDs.

If you can live with that then you can macro it like this.

Code:
    #showtooltip Chimera Shot
    /cast [mod:shift]Trap Launcher
    /cast [mod:shift]Frost Trap;Chimera Shot

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

I'm gonna have to give that a try and see how that works out for me. (:

Code:
    /castsequence [nomod]reset=3 Trap Launcher, Freezing Trap
    This is the double-tap macro for trap launching a Freezing Trap. It doesn't use double the focus, and it resets after three seconds. Simply click/press once to activate Trap Launcher, then a second time to get a targeting reticle for your trap. Replace Freezing Trap with any other and get the same result for the other traps. Replace each of the traps on your bars (or hotkeys) with macros like this so that you can double-tap to trap launch.