Should I expect more from my computer?

First off, I've ran both SW:ToR and World of Warcraft: Cataclysm through CanYouRUNit? and got more promising results for ToR than Cataclysm. However, this is not what my experience indicates.

In SW:ToR, at minimum settings and after going through all the forum quickfixes, I get an uncomfortable 10 fps no matter where I am in-game. In WoW, at high settings, I get a somewhat less-than-ideal 20-25 FPS no matter where I am in-game. This does not improve at all if I turn everything down to 'low' or off. I would like for both of these situations to be improved in any way possible.

If I attempt to turn shadows or liquid detail on, in WoW, my computer will just shut off. Otherwise, I can run WoW with ultra view distance and have particle density at max with 25 people AoEing their hearts out and remain at 25-30 fps; the exact same fps I get in ghost-towns and small rooms. However, I DO see a sharp drop whenever I turn the camera too quickly. It's more like a stutter or a freeze than a framerate drop. About five months ago, when I was trying to improve my framerate in WoW, I switched from regular fullscreen mode to fullscreen windowed mode and experienced a 5-10 fps gain. I'm not computer-smart enough to know exactly why or what that means.

I've already done what was posted in this thread. I would appreciate any help or any advice. Here's random information about my computer:

Model: HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC
    Ram: 4096MB
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II N850 Triple-Core Processor (3 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
    Video Card: AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 (1600x900) (Approx Memory - 1968 MB)
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

My drivers are updated and I play both games on fullscreen windowed mode. If there's any other information that may help you help me, please ask.

I want to find out why my computer's specs far exceed the minimum requirements for ToR but play it so badly, yet come short for the recommended specs for WoW and plays WoW decently.

If there's any simple upgrades I can make to increase my performance, within a reasonable 100-200 dollar budget, that information would be appreciated.

My first instinct is that 5400rpm drive you have.
    From the factory, that laptop comes with a 320GB 5400rpm drive. I bet if you ran the "Windows Experience Index" that would be the lowest rating.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    The graphics chip in your laptop is only a media card meant to give you a decent enough capability to play 1080p streaming video and provide some hardware acceleration for photo editing and video editing.

You can not replace the GPU or CPU in your laptop. Welcome to the down fall of laptops.

In short there is nothing you can do to help your computer play the game at a reasonable frame rate because your computer does not have the hardware necessary to do it. Also minimum requirements mean you will be able to load the game and play, however it doesn't tell you that you will play at sub 10FPS which is what generally happens if you just meet the minimum requirements and don't meet the recommended values.

I'd suggest you visit the SW:ToR performance guide in my sig as it breaks down what CPU and GPU's work best with the game.

Cram an SSD in your CD bay if possible, that should fix your issues. a 40gb should do.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    Cram an SSD in your CD bay if possible, that should fix your issues. a 40gb should do.
    Hard drive speed is not a factor here. It literally comes down to the weak GPU that can not play this game.

To clarify when I say "weak gpu that can not play this game" I am referring to Star Wars the Old Republic. The HD4250 is capable of playing WoW, albeit it looks like shite and you would be lucky to break 20FPS unless you particularly like playing on the lowest settings.
    Last edited by OhpUldum; 2012-01-17 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    My first instinct is that 5400rpm drive you have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    Cram an SSD in your CD bay if possible, that should fix your issues.
    Disc speed has got absolutely nothing to do with the problem, because...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyfakes View Post
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II N850 Triple-Core Processor (3 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
    Video Card: AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 (1600x900) (Approx Memory - 1968 MB)
    ...AMD processors are bad for MMOs, especially mobile AMD processors. And the Radeon 4250M is not meant for gaming use really, only for farmville/minesweeper/youtube.

Minimum requirements for those games are the minimum to run at low settings in solo questing. Recommended hardware might run multiplayer content at lowest possible settings, and about double the recommended until you can start dreaming of raiding at high settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyfakes View Post
    If there's any simple upgrades I can make to increase my performance, within a reasonable 100-200 dollar budget, that information would be appreciated.
    Nothing will make WoW or SWToR run faster for you except buying a computer that is actually meant for gaming at high details. SSD will help with everything else (loading times, starting the laptop etc), but it's zero gain on framerates.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    Hard drive speed is not a factor here. It literally comes down to the weak GPU that can not play this game.
    You do realize that a Geforce 4 can probably run wow, right?

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Disc speed has got absolutely nothing to do with the problem, because...

...AMD processors are bad for MMOs, especially mobile AMD processors. And the Radeon 4250M is not meant for gaming use really, only for farmville/minesweeper/youtube.

Minimum requirements for those games are the minimum to run at low settings in solo questing. Recommended hardware might run multiplayer content at lowest possible settings, and about double the recommended until you can start dreaming of raiding at high settings.

Nothing will make WoW or SWToR run faster for you except buying a computer that is actually meant for gaming at high details. SSD will help with everything else (loading times, starting the laptop etc), but it's zero gain on framerates.
    I can run WoW at 25FPS on a netbook with an nvidia ion. Because it has a 7200rpm drive. Swapping the HDD will increase the FPS.

10+ Year Old Account
    For SW:ToR or WoW? WoW barely uses the GPU, it's the CPU that it's hard on.

Deleted
    I can run WoW at 25FPS on a netbook with an nvidia ion. Because it has a 7200rpm drive. Swapping the HDD will increase the FPS.
    Wahahaha, im sorry.... your HDD has absolutly nothing to do with FPS in games, just loading times.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryade View Post
    I'm talking Star Wars The Old Republic.

---------- Post added 2012-01-17 at 02:48 PM ----------

Try running Star Wars The Old Republic on that same netbook and I guarantee you won't break 10FPS. WoW is a moot point to this discussion when one of the games being mentioned has higher requirements to play. We base our advice off of what the most demanding task is, which in this scenario is Star Wars The Old Republic not WoW.

---------- Post added 2012-01-17 at 02:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Wahahaha, im sorry.... your HDD has absolutly nothing to do with FPS in games, just loading times.
    It can have an impact depending on the type of game. For the sake of argument though hard drive speed will not affect an MMORPG like World of Warcraft, Rift, or Star Wars The Old Republic outside of screen loading times. Part of what a user could see by replacing a hard drive for a faster hard drive is a placebo affect caused by the user reinstalling Windows without trial software and bloatware running which in turn has a larger impact than swapping the drive itself.
    Last edited by OhpUldum; 2012-01-17 at 10:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No you shouldn't that whole thing is awful to say the least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post
    It's a no brainer. Get MW3, Skyrim is just a rehash of Oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neezh View Post
    Because I'm brave enough to smoke. I see no point in quitting

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryade View Post
    It is a combination of both.

CPU dictates your minimum frames per second while the GPU dictates the maximum frames per second in an MMO.

It can have an impact depending on the type of game. For the sake of argument though hard drive speed will not affect an MMORPG like World of Warcraft, Rift, or Star Wars The Old Republic outside of screen loading times. Part of what a user could see by replacing a hard drive for a faster hard drive is a placebo affect caused by the user reinstalling Windows without trial software and bloatware running which in turn has a larger impact than swapping the drive itself.
    That is probably the best way it has been put lol fresh install always feels like lightning.