Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Seeing that most of the opinion here are coming from people that never played the game and heard from someone that the game is bad i wouldnt base your opinion on the game.
    Best is trying it yourself.
    Trials account will be probably be there in a month or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    This one made me laugh out loud. Almost every single friend and guildy I have at level 50 has so much cash coming out their rears its funny.
    Doing 300k+ from daily every days.. Yeah im poor.. Ive not even started playing the economy by selling crafted stuff and the like.
    Last edited by DaGhostDS; 2012-01-18 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcanasm View Post
    My opinion: I really want to like this game, but they broke more than they fixed. Here's what's wrong, in a nutshell.

GAMEPLAY
    * Ability delay and ghost casts can really ruin your day.
    * Some classes are really broken and ineffective. Trying to DPS with a class that has a tank tree will upset you.
    Powertechs would like a word with you.
    There's especially a TON of ability bloat. You'll run out of room on your toolbars long before level 50 -- even using all four toolbars.
    So you're complaining that you have too many abilities? Is the game too hard for you?
    * I want to punch in the face whichever developer thought it a good idea to introduce the concept of platforming to MMOs. Datacrons are terrible, and they're a lot more mandatory than advertised. (Having all Datacrons is equivalent to having one extra item equipped; don't tell me that's just a "bonus")
    I quite enjoy datacrons. They make you go around the worlds. Stop thinking of it as a job and it won't feel like one. Stop being pessimistic.
    * Space missions are absolute shit. No two ways about it. They're a lift of 80s space shooters (think "Gyruss crossed with Sinistar"), but they only designed five varieties of space mission. The other 20 missions you'll unlock are literal clones of the first five missions you unlock, only with one thing added (more cruisers, for example). They're fucking awful.
    I enjoy space missions personally ( most of these things you're listing are completely subjective). And they said they will be updating/changing space combat soon.
    * Everything costs too fucking much, from ability training to mounts. But Bioware have been complete Nazis about prioritizing keeping money out of circulation above fixing their myriad fundamental issues. It's like they want players to be poor, always, forever, out of this morbid and delusional fear that they're somehow, against all odds, going to keep the economy being wrecked if they maintain a player base that's poor as church mice.
    I really had to lol here. This is a L2P problem and nothing else. I had 200k by the time I was 25, 1 million by the time I was 40, and 2 million by the time I was 50. I easily bought my abilities and mount training. And I didn't play the GTN - this was just from questing and POST-nerf Slicing.

Can't be bothered to respond to the rest, but most of what you say made me laugh.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    I quite enjoy datacrons. They make you go around the worlds. Stop thinking of it as a job and it won't feel like one.
    The fleet museum one is awesome, if you havent found it get to it, you need friends tho.

Just buy the game. By the time you hit 50, 1.2 will have dropped and they'll be even more to do. I'm sure a lot of the bugs will be fixed a long the way. Make sure your computer doubles the minimum requirements.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob from Accounting View Post
    I agree, level 50s sure have a lot of abilities to train.
    I'm currently lvl 40 with 60k and two extra bag slots and 400 treasure hunting. Money is not hard to come by.

Deleted
    Ive unsubscribed now. Got as far as level 30 on a Sith Inquisator.

Basically the problem i have with the game is it doesnt feel even remotely close to an MMO. The PvE side of things is reasonably compelling, the storys are a nice addition to the traditional MMO style but its not enough. The group quests and instances while plentiful are just annoying because a) its faster to just quest on your own and b) it takes way to long to find a group to do anything, especially group quests. And yes i was playing on one of the fullest servers in the game with my faction being the dominant one and it was still to much hassle.

The PvP is terrible. The maps are awkward. Some abilitys are animation reliant and dont always work so if your a lightsaber class that will annoy the holy hell out of you. The game modes are simple enough but not particularly original and overall PvP is a general mess of imbalance and frustration.

My main gripe though is that it feels like playing Mass Effect but with loads of annoying people around you distracting you from your story and it just ruins the flow. Its not a terrible game and i will probably give it another go when i have abit more time to spare (mainly to play with friends who enjoyed it). Also stopping me from resubscribing is the knowledge that my money is going to EA who have given me nothing but grief with most of the games they release thanks to crap like Origin but worst of all theyre a supporter of SOPA.

There you go, just my opinion but i think youl find it pretty spot on if you play it. Id give this game a 6/10 for effort.

TL;DR? Game plays like a Single player RPG with annoying other players getting in your way and EA are (in my opinion) the worst publishers ever to stick there greedy fingers into gaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonaro View Post

Basically the problem i have with the game is it doesnt feel even remotely close to an MMO.
    And yet the game gets accused of being such a copy cat and so derivative of every other mmo. Nobody sees the contradiction in this?

10+ Year Old Account
    There you go, just my opinion but i think youl find it pretty spot on if you play it.
    I don't find your opinion spot on. As for the single player RPG crap, i've grouped more yesterday then i did in my 8 months exodus in Cata.
    It's coming in 1.2!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zotan View Post
    Ignoring all the whiners and people bashing the game who never tried it, you can pretty much sum TOR up in a sentence:

Its a good game with a few problems but a lot of potential.
    This is a very fair assessment that sums up SW:TOR pretty well at the moment. I agree with this and don't think I've anything to add apart from: don't listen to all the negative QQ about this game cause a lot of it is by people who've never really played this game. Try it for yourself and see what you think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Yeah, just read about 1.2

Certainly looks interesting. I'm seeing a lot of people talk about bugs, is the game horribly bugged (as in gamebreaking bugs) or just inconvenience bugged.

An example of a bug in this game. Decide for yourself if it's worth it or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only really annoying thing I have come across is not being able to invert the mouse in space combat, this will get patched I hope. Other then that it's a great vanilla MMO.

BW has tons of work to do though, make no mistake, it has plenty of room for improvements

10+ Year Old Account
    Its Star wars made by bioware, and usually thats a good sign its good.

But it can also be seen as Wow with lightsabers, some of the game is fresh, like the voice work and the space ship minigame.
    But there is not much real new gameplay innovation.

I got tired of wow and ebgames tricked me into a 3 month of swtor, by saying i had to buy a timecard to play.
    So ill be goofing off with it between lol matches and skyrim, im almost endgame level, they already added a new dungeon too, so perhaps content will come out faster than wow, rift had fast patch updates.

So id say try it for a month and see on a month to month deal if you wana play more.

Deleted
    And yet the game gets accused of being such a copy cat and so derivative of every other mmo. Nobody sees the contradiction in this?
    I'd disagree with that. It does copy from other MMO's but in that genre its hard not to. Some things just work. For example Rift took way more from WoW than SWTOR did. As for it feeling like a single player RPG, to me it does. Just because every other player in the game seems to get in the way. On more than one occasion it just felt like playing mass effect except with waiting for spawns and to much empty space between bits of story where something actually happened.

I don't find your opinion spot on. As for the single player RPG crap, i've grouped more yesterday then i did in my 8 months exodus in Cata.
    So if you played in Exodus i guess you moved to SWTOR with a bunch of people you knew from WoW? Im talking about finding groups with strangers. It takes way to long and its just yet another annoying side affect of it being an MMO where as with an SRPG you could just keep right on going with your story and not have to worry about waiting for respawns, group quests and heroic mobs running over and instakilling you every second.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcanasm View Post
    * Everything costs too fucking much, from ability training to mounts. But Bioware have been complete Nazis about prioritizing keeping money out of circulation above fixing their myriad fundamental issues. It's like they want players to be poor, always, forever, out of this morbid and delusional fear that they're somehow, against all odds, going to keep the economy being wrecked if they maintain a player base that's poor as church mice.
    Not sure if serious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I think that sentiment comes from the questing style "SW: TOR" has created. There's no denying it that the story modes have the typical singleplayer vibe, when it works pretty much the same as in "Dragon Age: Origins" and "Mass Effect". Does not mean that it's bad, but yeah, it's an explanation, at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd disagree with that. It does copy from other MMO's but in that genre its hard not to. Some things just work. For example Rift took way more from WoW than SWTOR did. As for it feeling like a single player RPG, to me it does. Just because every other player in the game seems to get in the way. On more than one occasion it just felt like playing mass effect except with waiting for spawns and to much empty space between bits of story where something actually happened.

So if you played in Exodus i guess you moved to SWTOR with a bunch of people you knew from WoW? Im talking about finding groups with strangers. It takes way to long and its just yet another annoying side affect of it being an MMO where as with an SRPG you could just keep right on going with your story and not have to worry about waiting for respawns, group quests and heroic mobs running over and instakilling you every second.
    Really? Like finding groups with strangers happens more so in SWTOR than it does in warcraft by far. Simply because you need to just to get certain things done. Sometimes these criticisms make me wonder if people are playing the same game. SWTOR is a game you can treat like a single player rpg or an mmo. I mean they literally added instancing to prevent you from having to deal with two many people.

If you go into with the mindset of playing a single player rpg game then yea everyone else is gonna get in the way. However if you engage yourself in some of the multiplayer friendly aspects (heroic group questing for instance) you will soon realize that you can approach it however you like. Honestly when tbc was released and their were to many kids farming that boar quest outside of Hellfire, did people say that TBC felt like to much of a single player experience? we can make the exact same criticisms that have been made with regards to swtor and apply them to rift and wow. Hence they are ALL MMO GAMES.
    ---------- Post added 2012-01-18 at 10:07 AM ----------

[/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    Well, I think that sentiment comes from the questing style "SW: TOR" has created. There's no denying it that the story modes have the typical singleplayer vibe, when it works pretty much the same as in "Dragon Age: Origins" and "Mass Effect". Does not mean that it's bad, but yeah, it's an explanation, at least.
    It's all in how you approach the game. It is no more or less of an mmo experience than vanilla/tbc WoW was.
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2012-01-18 at 10:12 AM.

Deleted
    Ive unsubscribed now. Got as far as level 30 on a Sith Inquisator.

Basically the problem i have with the game is it doesnt feel even remotely close to an MMO. The PvE side of things is reasonably compelling, the storys are a nice addition to the traditional MMO style but its not enough. The group quests and instances while plentiful are just annoying because a) its faster to just quest on your own and b) it takes way to long to find a group to do anything, especially group quests. And yes i was playing on one of the fullest servers in the game with my faction being the dominant one and it was still to much hassle.

The PvP is terrible. The maps are awkward. Some abilitys are animation reliant and dont always work so if your a lightsaber class that will annoy the holy hell out of you. The game modes are simple enough but not particularly original and overall PvP is a general mess of imbalance and frustration.

My main gripe though is that it feels like playing Mass Effect but with loads of annoying people around you distracting you from your story and it just ruins the flow. Its not a terrible game and i will probably give it another go when i have abit more time to spare (mainly to play with friends who enjoyed it). Also stopping me from resubscribing is the knowledge that my money is going to EA who have given me nothing but grief with most of the games they release thanks to crap like Origin but worst of all theyre a supporter of SOPA.

There you go, just my opinion but i think youl find it pretty spot on if you play it. Id give this game a 6/10 for effort.

TL;DR? Game plays like a Single player RPG with annoying other players getting in your way and EA are (in my opinion) the worst publishers ever to stick there greedy fingers into gaming.
    It sounds like your problem is that you approached the game as a single-player game rather than an MMO. I find it funny how you mention other players as annoying while leveling, when other MMO's have it much worse. After all, pretty much every other MMO has players spawncamping just to complete quests, something that's almost non-existant in TOR. If anything, this MMO probably makes other players a lot less annoying.

Don't get me wrong: as far as finding groups goes, TOR can easily improve quite a bit. However, with a lack of a dungeon finder it's up to the players to find/organize groups. I've found out it's usually because people don't start their own groups, but rather ask to get invited. As soon as you actively start groups and ask for more players, you get a full group pretty fast. Even more so when the group quests (not flashpoints) don't require a strict setup of 1 tank, 1 healer and 2 dps.

My point being: everyone should be more active in starting groups in TOR with the absence of a finder. It would really cut the amount of unjustified "grouping is too hard" posts down. It's far from perfect, but you guys make it sound like a big problem, which it isn't atm.

P.s. Am I the only one who doesn't understand why EA bashing is brought into the topic? If the game was super bad or had disappointed month after month (bugfixes, content etc), I might understand. But TOR is extremely polished for a new MMO and had a smooth launch to boot. And since it's just a month old, it's far too early to tell if EA/BioWare is delivering bad support or anything like it.

Deleted
    Honestly If i was lvling solo in warcraft or rift and I had to wait for mobs to spawn and people were getting in the way, could we not then say the exact same thing about warcraft?
    Ive not played Rift but i think the problem comes from Warcraft having alternative area's to level. SWTOR does not. Your stuck on the same linear questing experience (relative to your class) as 200 other players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even tho i'm in a guild my game delivery was so late that there is absolutely no one around my level in the guild, so im forced to look for other people. It helps that on my server people made a global LFG channel for easier grouping. There were always people in the zone im questing that want to group for some heroic quests. Yes my server is well populated, but that is a decision you need to make when you start your char. I played on Twisting Nether EU as Aliance and there were more NPC's in SW then all the aliance folk on the server and i had a horid time on it.
    It's coming in 1.2!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Really? Like finding groups with strangers happens more so in SWTOR than it does in warcraft by far. Simply because you need to just to get certain things done. Sometimes these criticisms make me wonder if people are playing the same game. SWTOR is a game you can treat like a single player rpg or an mmo. I mean they literally added instancing to prevent you from having to deal with two many people.

If you go into with the mindset of playing a single player rpg game then yea everyone else is gonna get in the way. However if you engage yourself in some of the multiplayer friendly aspects (heroic group questing for instance) you will soon realize that you can approach it however you like. Honestly when tbc was released and their were to many kids farming that boar quest outside of Hellfire, did people say that TBC felt like to much of a single player experience? we can make the exact same criticisms that have been made with regards to swtor and apply them to rift and wow. Hency they are ALL MMO GAMES.
    ---------- Post added 2012-01-18 at 10:07 AM ----------

[/COLOR]

It's all in how you approach the game. It is no more or less of an mmo experience than vanilla/tbc WoW was.
    Of course. I would however call story modes a mix between singleplayer/MMO gameplay, from what I have seen. It has the singleplayer story elements of a typical Bioware game mixed with the combat of a MMO like "WoW".

If I, for instance, would be in a quest chain talking to NPCs most of the time, while being less active outside of that doing the typical MMO stuff, I would feel like I was playing a singleplayer game. If I would be using less time talking to NPCs and do a lot more fighthing/collecting/whatever, it would feel like a MMO.

There are two sides to this to be considered and no one is really wrong, either. Still, if a player feels that it acts too much like a singleplayer game, most of the time, and do not like those aspects, it is fair to say that the game is not for them.