Page 1 of 3
LastLast

So I may be in danger of being booted out of a club

Not that big of a deal, but I'm pretty offended at the moment. I've been a part of Junior Civitans, a community-service based club at my High School for a while now and am one of the most active members. Recently there has been this huge controversy (not so much to me, but to them it is) over my atheism. Some of the higher-ups are wanting me out because I peacefully choose to not participate in religious activities.

Now, I think what made this an even bigger deal lately is that my superior decided that it would be funny to appoint me the Head Chaplain. I luled with them for a while, then realized that some problems may occur. We've pretty much decided I can keep the title for scholarship purposes, but I don't have to lead religious activities because we have a diverse set of philosophies within our school.

One of my buddies decided to contact a guy over the matter, and they feel as though I shouldn't be part of the club because "the club is based on Christian morals and philosophies and has no room for other systems of belief."

As a note, this is NOT a religious discussion, it is a discussion of whether it is right to kick someone out of a group they put time into over their philosophical beliefs. Do not derail this thread.

Deleted
    If it's based on Christian morals and philosiphies, most of them pretty much boil down to 'don't be a dick'. It's the same with every religion, it mainly boils down to 'don't be a dick'. As long as you're not being a dick, I could see no issue arising.

I don't think any decent person would kick you out as long as you respect that other people around you do have a faith and would like to express that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't aetheism just straight up believing there isn't a god? It's different than just not practicing a religion no? Or are you just a genuine atheist?

Deleted
    Hang on, is your group a religious group, or just one with christian values ? Seems like a fair difference. If you're an atheist, then in the former type, I doubt you'd be welcomes. In the other you might have trouble with narrowminded people (and that's hardly lacking in most christian communities let's face it) but at least you should have a chance of staying on if you present your case well enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Christianity's history teaches us a lot, but not that it boils down to 'don't be a dick'. If so, they've done an astounding job failing at it when it comes to their own religion, let alone others.

--

That said, I am not sure on what grounds you joined the club nor am I certain about how stringent those rules / base philosophies were adhered to when you joined the club as atheist.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    Christianity's history teaches us a lot, but not that it boils down to 'don't be a dick'. If so, they've done an astounding job failing at it when it comes to their own religion, let alone others.
    I presume this was aimed at my comment, if not, I apoligize. He didn't say Christian History. Just philosiphy and morals. "Turn the other cheek" and shit like that. Basically, don't be a dick.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Shit like this is the reason I don't tell anyone but my closest friends my religious belief (that and living in the south).

Sadly Christian majority pretty much ignores what is right and goes with what they want, you will likely lose this. Sorry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is the club officially "based on Christian morals and philosophies"? If so, what are you doing there in the first place?

If it isn't, then you need to bring the point across.

If it is, then I am not too sure, as you would be seen as going to a club but adjust it's believe to fit you, which isn't right.

Public school? Sounds like a case of "too bad so sad" for the members who want you out. What's the club called and what's your mission statement?

You may want to reconsider whether or not you wish to continue being associated with them.

To answer a few questions, there was absolutely nothing religious about the club upon joining it a while back. We simply did community service, hung out, etc. Just recently it started becoming a big deal, which I do not understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Elohel View Post
    To answer a few questions, there was absolutely nothing religious about the club upon joining it a while back. We simply did community service, hung out, etc. Just recently it started becoming a big deal, which I do not understand.
    Some religious people like to try to take over shit like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    People like to use religion sometimes as an excuse to do dickish things, regardless of if they adhere to the religion itself. Ex: the Crusades, nothing in the religious doctrine to support it, just peeps in power using it to promote war.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    I just realized the meaning behind your avatar.

/shiver

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm I don't see anything on their websites about being a religious organization...

http://www.civitan.com/template.php?t=jr

I'd poke around there a bit yourself. Someone may be out of place in trying to kick you out.
    Tobyas (85) :: Tobykenobi (85) :: Uruu (85):: Mykka (52)
    <-- All Chars on Ice Since March 2011 -->
    Currently Playing: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

So I looked at the Junior Civitan (and the Civitan Int'l) website, and here's my take:

There's nothing on the website that I've seen that has any mention of "God" or "Christ" or "Christianity". The emphasis is placed on community service, et cetera. No mention of religion at all on either the Junior Civitan site or main site.

That says to me that the whole "Head Chaplain" thing is silly. What exactly is the chaplain supposed to do in this organisation? Is this a local thing?

Further, religious creed should have nothing to do with your participation in this group. You should be judged solely on your activities. There's a very simple creed on the Junior Civitan site. I think you should point that creed out to your fellow Civitans next time they poke you about it...

Assuming your Junior Civitans is in some way related to Junior Civitans International and the parent organization Civitans International...

Other then the fact that Civil behaviour is promoted by both Christianity and Civitans, there is NOTHING religious about Junior Civitans International or Civitans International...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_..._International
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civitan_International

"Famous Civitans: Thomas Edison" - while not technical atheist, he was definitely not Christian.
    Last edited by openair; 2012-01-17 at 11:56 PM.

If the group isn't a religious group, then your religion or lack of religion should be of no concern to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Elohel View Post
    I'd start working up your organizational ladder with this. This behavior doesn't sound like it's in line with how the organization represents itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel very confident that if I joined a club that has a mission statement of atheism as a religious person, I would get kicked out too eventually.

It comes down to what is their mission statement or guidelines for membership or goals.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Persecution is a comon human flaw, you should pray for them:P

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    I feel very confident that if I joined a club that has a mission statement of atheism as a religious person, I would get kicked out too eventually.

It comes down to what is their mission statement or guidelines for membership or goals.
    Actually, I'd say that as long as you didn't try to proselytize and you were actually interested in the activities of the groups, pretty much any freethinker organization would be quite accepting.

Of course, that's neither here nor there. The club in question does not in any way try to sell itself as a "christian" organization.