Page 1 of 2
LastLast

podracing minigame

So this month I re-watched episodes I - VI and technology doesn't seem to have changed at all in the 3000 years between the Old Republic and the battle of Yavin. (e.g. hyperspace travel, tractor beams, weapons powerful enough to destroy planets, etc -- there is another post somewhere as to why this may be). So for me, the invention of podracing would be no stretch of imagination.

With that in mind, would you enjoy a podracing minigame (similar to space combat missions) ?

It would be a pretty nice addition, so yep, has my vote. Easy enough to implement. Hell it might actually work in competitive play, who knows.

Deleted
    Not so much, it would be pretty limited.

Controls for racing games on PCs have never really been good. I'd much prefer them to expand on the Space Combat.

I approve this. I have also stated the desire for pod racing, as well as competitive pazaak. For the pod racing I was thinking the could do a server based leader board thing where you pick out a basic pod and through races you get upgrades similar to the ship currently and you can travel to various worlds and post times to beat challenge you buddies in a back to back or heads up timed raced think 1/2 drag racing with booster pads, obstacles, and timed shifting sounds like a blast to me.
    Been gone since 2011, enjoying being back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Loved the podracer game for the PC so would get a yes vote from me .

group space content, and/or space PvP would be better then another minigame.

no sense in putting another thing in when you already have the foundations for something that can be amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

10+ Year Old Account
    A 4 man that is based around space combat or has space combat elements would be cool.

Pod-racing seems a bit meh, especially given that this is a period of (cold) war. The time for games is not now.
    I may pay my subscription every month, but I don't lose sight of the fact that the other 4/9/24/39 people I'm grouped with pay too.

swoop racing - yes

pod racing.... >.> not so much.

speaking of mini game and space combat, when you fly your spaceship in swtor can you use a joystick instead of mouse n keyboard? the space combat looks reallly neat so far and i love flying games so being able to use a joystick during that would sorta be the winning momentfffor me with swtor and make me go and buy it
    I'm a little ninja, short and stout I take all the loot and I hearthstone out All the guys on teamspeak scream and shout I'm the warrior in full devout.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Future expansion four years in sure. For now I'd rather have some nice utilities like a high res texture patch, a LFG tool for auto queue, and an easier to use galactic market.

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    swoop racing - yes

pod racing.... >.> not so much.
    Exactly. With this being in the Old Republic era, and with there being established swoop racing (KOTOR 1+2), it would be swoops and not podracers.

It'd be nice to have something more dynamic than the space combat, and perhaps have server leaderboards that reset daily for each server.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

If they did a version of the original PC Pod Racing game that would be epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
    A 4 man that is based around space combat or has space combat elements would be cool.

Pod-racing seems a bit meh, especially given that this is a period of (cold) war. The time for games is not now.
    What's Huttball then?
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    What's Huttball then?
    Good point lol. But at the end of the day Pod Racing isn't team-based, it's about the individual winning at the expense of all others (second and third place are there to mock the people that got so close yet failed). I would like to see space combat fleshed out first to include multiple participants and more warzones before entirely new game mechanics are introduced.
    I may pay my subscription every month, but I don't lose sight of the fact that the other 4/9/24/39 people I'm grouped with pay too.

Wasn't the only reason Anakin, a human, could compete was because of his uber force powers?

Quote Originally Posted by Ulaenyth View Post
    speaking of mini game and space combat, when you fly your spaceship in swtor can you use a joystick instead of mouse n keyboard? the space combat looks reallly neat so far and i love flying games so being able to use a joystick during that would sorta be the winning momentfffor me with swtor and make me go and buy it
    its "twitch" based space combat. you dont fully control your ship. This was something i was hoping for as well, but it just isnt there. If you are looking for something like the old X-Wing games, or Wing Commander style of flying, then this isnt it. This is more along the lines of Rogue Squadron style. Your path is preset, speed is preset. you have a limited amount of direction control just to avoid objects(asteroids n such) which is also your aiming. Aiming is also pretty much autoaim, as you just need to be pointing in the general right direction.

Bioware said its something they would like to look into doing at some point, the X-Wing style space combat. But nothing is set in stone.

---------- Post added 2012-01-18 at 08:05 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by strechypants View Post
    So this month I re-watched episodes I - VI and technology doesn't seem to have changed at all in the 3000 years between the Old Republic and the battle of Yavin. (e.g. hyperspace travel, tractor beams, weapons powerful enough to destroy planets, etc -- there is another post somewhere as to why this may be). So for me, the invention of podracing would be no stretch of imagination.

With that in mind, would you enjoy a podracing minigame (similar to space combat missions) ?
    There has been posts on this many times over the last 2+ years in regard to this game. A lot of it lately. Asking for either a pod racing or swoop(KOTOR) racing. I can definatly see them adding it at some point, perhaps as just a lil side thing on the Hutt planets.

Deleted
    i think that SWTOR has alot of potential concerning mini games.

i already love the space combat and i believe that it could be much better. i'm thinking of group missions where you'd have to coordinate with your fellow players to bring down huge enemy ships and so on ...
    then i thought about the one fight on Hoth in the movies with all those walker units where the rebels had to bring them down. I'd love to see such battles on a planet's surface where you are able to steer an AT-AT

The idea about Pod Racing i also find fantastic!
    Players could compete different racing tracks.

the "World of Star Wars" is really big and offers alot of improvements and additions and i'm sure that BioWare will continue on improving what the game has to offer

The Star Trek MMO had good space combat, not sure why Bioware cant do it

I would like to play the gambling games, Sabacc, and Pazaak.

Deleted
    Pod racing was either not done at all or not popularized until much, much later in the timeline. At the point we're at now, we'd be able to get Swoop Racing, though even that is most likely on the decline due to some of the major planets with championship-capable tracks being bombed into the stone age.