Thread: Oh Dragon Soul

Question Oh Dragon Soul

So. Destro is my favorite spec. I enjoy it, I pull decent DPS, and I find it the most fun.
    Demo is not bad. I prefer it for AoE fights, or if a fight is hard and I need to faceroll a bit for higher dps.
    I keep Affliction for PvP.

I have all my talent trees on macros and swap them regularly.

My question: Which spec would I pull the easiest/most DPS in normal 10-man Warmaster? I have my gear set that I have the 1993 haste cap, and have a MWC, IoCM, and FGotDM to play with for trinkets depending on spec.

Casual guild, but we want to get this boss down! We can 1-shot the first five bosses in a couple of hours, but Warmaster gives us trouble.

Long story short: Which warlock spec feels easiest for you on NM Warmaster to get higher dps out?

15+ Year Old Account
    I would say affliction, since all warlocks in my guild are playing that spec on Warmaster.

Soul Swapping full row of dots from one dragon to another while he's in range will really help up dealing with them as fast as possible, not to mention multi dotting all adds on the ship. Also soul swap can be used to quickly deal with Sapper.

However, since your demons except Imp can't attack Warmaster's mount (Gorona or w/e the name is) I think destruction would be the best choice if you don't have problems with the first part of the encounter.

Yet again, I'm not really an expert with warlocks since I don't play one, this is purely based on my knowledge of the class and the stuff I observed in my raids.

Deleted
    I play spriest, and I think warmaster is really a dotter fight.

And about the pet issue you can just put it on warmaster right?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vissenkom View Post
    I play spriest, and I think warmaster is really a dotter fight.

And about the pet issue you can just put it on warmaster right?
    Well it all depends what do they have problems with. If their DPS can get that drake out of the way fairly fast, then demo or affliction is the way to go.

I play spriest also, going wild with the dots

Another tip, you can climb on top of the ship (over the captain's cabin) and start dotting the drakes as they fly to the ship. If you have shadow priest or a fire mage with you, the drake you choose to dot will be at 50% (if you manage to pull all your dots, spriest can do it easily) when he's pulled by harpoon.

Deleted

Thumbs up

Nayelie what exactly is causing you to wipe on this guy?

Your dps is of no importance if the tanks are dying due to lack of healing, catch my drift?

I assume you're wiping before the boss comes down, in which case this might help:

/tar Goriona
    /tar Twilight Sapper
    /tar Twilight Assault drake
    Make those 3 macroes

When you pull the boss, stand on the right side of the ship, out on that platform there, facing towards the way the ship is heading, press the Goriona macro and apply COE and BOH - Then hurry to the left side of the ship, similar location but further towards the middle.
    ---
    Dot that drake including instant soulfire (if 4 set) and Conflagrate
    Swap to the other drake heading across the ship, dot that one as well
    Get dots and shadowflame rolling on the two guys on the ship, get a few incinerates off. The drakes should be heading down already now, so get in position to dot them both (or nuke one, depending on assignments)
    Onslaught happens while you're dotting / nuking those drakes, Twilight Sapper should appear somewhat long after the drakes are dead, and the ground units should be dead or near death too.
    ---
    Then you want to try to repeat what's in between the two lines as best as you can, without running up the side of the ship obviously. The tricky part here is to target the drakes as they fly above you, without losing your grasp of moving out of the charges, killing the sapper, dodging / running into twilight barrage/onslaught and dotting the two ground units.

I much prefer destro on this fight, but I can imagine affliction to be quite powerful here too. I pull between 35k and 40k on this fight HC.
    Last edited by mmocfecbd8d6a4; 2012-01-18 at 09:44 AM.

I have a feeling the trouble you're having isn't with getting rid of Goriona fast enough. It's your melee attacking Blackhorn when they shouldn't be. It only makes it harder on everyone because of his Vengeance. Before anyone says anything, I know that it shouldn't matter, but if you're a more normal, casual guild it does make a difference. There's really no rush anyway. The sooner Goriona is gone, the better.

We weren't making it past the 1st phase the couple of times we tried Warmaster. We have good tanks and pretty good healers, so we figured out we all need to do more dps. It was hard though with the constant changing of targets and the running all over to get the zapper and going to the big purple swirl. So I am wondering which spec I personally should use to output more dps in the first phase with the running and target switching.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nayelie View Post
    We weren't making it past the 1st phase the couple of times we tried Warmaster. We have good tanks and pretty good healers, so we figured out we all need to do more dps. It was hard though with the constant changing of targets and the running all over to get the zapper and going to the big purple swirl. So I am wondering which spec I personally should use to output more dps in the first phase with the running and target switching.
    That's really up to you; the specs are very similar when it comes to damage ... Like if you're really good at demo, but uncomfortable with affliction, demo will still have the higher dps output of the two, most likely. I recommend destruction or affliction though, for the issue you're describing. Get immolate/UA + Corr + BoD(x1)/BoA on all targets available. That'll make your dps high, but if the sapper is reaching the command-center, or the drakes aren't dying in the first go, you'll need to ignore the two big adds, in favor of getting more fillerspells off on the drakes/the sapper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Go Affliction for this fight. I actually glyph LoP and use the Succubus though rather than Felhunter as she can attack Gariona and the Assault Drakes where the Felhunter cannot. You can switch to the Felhunter once Gariona is gone.

10+ Year Old Account
    We kill 3 drakes, then focus on the melee adds, means less damage to the ship, ie easier to stand in 3 rather than 6, and the adds die fast enough to not give tanks/heals trouble, when there's room, swap to the last three drakes, once your in p2 its a win. gl

Kinda off topic, but still on topic; How is your raid composition when it comes to ranged DPS?

Because it might make a huge difference if you bring 3 ranged DPS. When my guild tried to get this down with only two ranged DPS it was really, really hard. I went arcane to burst down drakes, but still didn't help that much. Now with three ranged DPS I can go fire (the specc I think is most fun to play), the week after 20 wipes or so we one shotted it.

Point being, if you have two ranged DPS either go the best burst spec or swap around to get three ranged DPS. Or else this fight will be really hard.
    Last edited by Asayu; 2012-01-19 at 10:26 AM.

Deleted
    Movement shouldn't actually be a big issue. As a ranged try to stand in between the sides of the ship. Drop a teleport on your spot as well so after a big swirl you can get back quick. From the middle you should only have to move a few steps to get dots+Havoc on one drake then switch to the other and burn it as much as you can. Make sure one drake has Havoc (unless you use Havoc on Gariona) and the other Doom.

From the middle you should also be in range of any Sapper. If you have a DK it's really easy, let him pull the Sapper back. If not, use Shadow Fury to help on stuns and just use Immo+Conflag, instant SF and Shadow Burn. The Sapper should be dead before Corr or bolt/incin is useful so (I) don't bother with those.

If the drakes aren't in range yet, or after they break free and fly back, drop at least Immolates on the melee adds. At the very least it's extra Havoc damage. Also try to time a Soul Fire on a melee add just before the drakes get back in range. That gives you more time for real damage on the drakes instead of keeping your buff up.

10+ Year Old Account
    we struggled on this fight for a bit as it felt a little overwhelming, our set up is warlock,mage,hunter range and rogue,shammy and dk as melee...

Fight starts, dot up both mobs and dps them until the drakes are harpooned, then we have ranged kill one harpooned drake and melee attack the other side.. ignoring the 2 adds on the ship..
    now the ranged sides drake will die while the melee drake will be at about 20-35%..
    Dps the adds killing the first 2 that spawned while the second two are landing.. and normally a sapper joins at this point,, all dps switch to the sapper and kill it..
    when the melee side harpooned drake gets pulled back down the ranged kill it while melee are dpsing the adds.
    then repeat that until phase 2 then ranged obviously on galiona

Since doing it this way we have never wiped on this encounter.

I play as affliction and am normally the top dps for the fight followed by the fire mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Affliction would be ideal, but I stay destro for this fight and have no issues doing as much as a spriest.
    I immolate+corruption the melee adds, throwing Havoc on the one that will be up longer and Doom on the other, then keeping immolate+corruption up on the drakes and doing filler on the drakes or Doomed add, depending on what's there. I don't even touch the sappers because our melee have no issues killing them, but if sappers are an issue, like other have said Immolate, Conflag, Shadowburn, whatever. We divide the ship up into quarters for catching little squirls, so I put my circle down on the edge of mine (the back of the boat, away from where the melee adds are tanked). It's not really vital to circle around because it's not a movement fight or anything, but it can help.
    To quote the great sage Ook Ook, "you can take the derk out of the jib, but you shouldn't put the jib in the derk."

We weren't making it past the 1st phas

e the couple of times we tried Warmaster. We have good tanks and pretty good healers, so we figured out we all need to do more dps. It was hard though with the constant changing of targets and the running all over to get the zapper and going to the big purple swirl. So I am wondering which spec I personally should use to output more dps in the first phase with the running and target switching.
    1) Are you all dying or is the boat dying? If its the boat, are you all soaking all of the small purple swirls reliably? Typically when we wiped on this fight it was because people tunnel visioned their target(s) and didn't soak as well as they should. If drakes go down slow and you don't soak the little hits, its a guranteed wipe.

2) What sort of dps is everyone doing? We were able to get the fight down without much trouble with dps ranging from 19-21k per person.

3) I run destro on the fight but another lock in our guild runs affliction. Our DPS ends up being within a few hundred points of each other, so I'd say both are acceptable. Personally I put my BoH on Gorina at the beginning of the fight, but it would work on the drake you're not dpsing down.

10+ Year Old Account
    What's your setup by the way? We were having trouble going with 2T 3H, but once we switched a healer to DPS we got to P2 straight away and got him down within a few tries. I've also read a lot of guides that say the Assault Drakes are absolute #1 priority; they're really not so long as you get 1 down per tether phase so you can make sure the tanks don't get overwhelmed with adds. So long as people are hot on soaking the small swirls and sappers you can drag p1 out almost indefinately.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you manage to reach P2, Bane of Havoc is a big help. Standing on the ledge at the start, and putting BoH on Goriona is gonna net you a big DPS increase, and saves a lot of trouble in P2.

For the rest, just play what you feel most comfortable with, as at a casual level, you will probably do most damage with the spec you know the best and are reforged for.