Poll: What say ye?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    i feel it totally depends on the context.

personally, this is my opinion:

multiplayer:
    non-intrusive cosmetic glitches like weird costumes in fighting games: okay.
    intrusive cosmetic glitches like outlines trough walls in a shooter: not okay.
    actual gameplay changing glitches like skipping half the course on racing games: BURN THE WITCH!!

singleplayer: everything is okay, unless the playthrough was intended in a competitive fashion, like a speedrun or a race.

Depends on context.

There's funny glitches that make everyone laugh, such as the Battlefield 3 glitch that made people look like a slug.

Then there are glitches that go around normal gameplay to gain an advantage over others. I like the first description, and hate the second description. Cheating is cheating, regardless if everyone knows it or not. And if the game is worth a grain of salt, the devs would bust their asses off to keep the second kind of glitches to as non-existant as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    actual gameplay changing glitches like skipping half the course on racing games: BURN THE WITCH!!
    Why? The other team has the same advantage. They could utilize it just as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Getting tossed up high in the air when you get hit = clever.
    When you play something that's not the way it's desiged = cheating.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

It really depends on the game/community/glitch. Back in the days of Halo 2, there was an extremely popular glitch called BXR. It was a way to perform an instantaneous melee/headshot combination that lead to a 100% to dead instagib with a battle rifle. The online community in general considered this to be skill, and not in way cheating. This was even allowed at major esports tournaments like MLG. In fact I remember Walshy pulled off a nice BXR in one of the grand finals matches the year before Halo 3 came out. It wasn't even mentioned by the commentators as a glitch, and was even thrown into a highlight reel.

On the other hand though, there were some glitches in Gears of War that were considered not legit and pissed people off if you used them. I am talking specifically about crabwalking. A glitch that let you maintain a continuous half roadie run that gave you the maneuverability and aiming of standard movement with the speed of a roadie run. This made it virtually impossible to fight someone, as they could turn on a dime at extremely quick speeds, and there was no feasible way to chase them down if you got them low. Never saw it in a tournament, and it was extremely looked down on in the community. Many players took an attitude of I won't do it if you don't do it first.

In other cases still you can look at single player speedruns. SDA doesn't consider glitches in any form to be cheating, and they encourage them, especially if it leads to sequence breaking. So as I said, it's entirely dependent on the game/setting/community. There's no hard and fast rule that applies to all games all the time.

Exploits like Maka Wuhu skipping half a course, is retarded mainly because its so easy to pull off and the fact every asshole picks that shit hole for free points.

Exploits like pulling off a power slide jump to cut a turn in Rosalina's Ice World, now that's skill.

In other games, like Super Smash Bros Melee for example, wavedashing was the mark of an experienced player, any competitive melee player was required to know how to at least wavedash. It was an exploit yet in tournaments it was allowed because it wasn't gamebreaking and it took a fair amount of skill to pull off.

There are some exploits that are fine but then there are some that are over the top stupid, like another example for any old CoD1 players. You could exploit Neuville by jumping over the boundary which allowed you to not only be able to see anyone past the bushes, but you could shoot at them too and they couldn't do shit about it.

Oh and then there's the super jumps in Halo 2. That shit was retarded.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only times I've ever used glitches has been on accident.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

10+ Year Old Account
    If MissingNo. is wrong then I don't want to be right.

If it's one of the funny glitches that don't affect the gameplay (like giant Jigglypuff in SSBB), then it's ok, but if it's in a game where it affects thousands of others (like an MMO), then it's wrong. If it's just you and friends, it's ok imo.

fair until game's editor/developper says otherwise.
    10 years ago we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash. Now we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Available to everyone and not game breaking it's fine.

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/what-...be-banned.html
    Last edited by Shoopuf; 2012-01-21 at 03:02 PM.