Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Giving "Founder" title a way of keeping players from leaving?

Just want opinions about SWtor's new announcement about giving the founder title to those who joined at launce till 3/18. I've read posts here(not saying they are accurate) saying that swtors losing subs because of the game being stale and another wow clone. I've noticed the increase in people on my dead server... even in my own guild. Are they doing this to make players feel like a special snowflake to keep them subbing since the free time has/or will end and they are losing players, or are they just doing this because they appreciate their players/customers? If so, that's really awesome.. but i just want opinions from others to why you think they are doing this? Blizzard never did anything like this.. so i'm just curious.

and no i dont play swtor, i'm poor AF.. can only afford sub time.. :/
    (although i wanna play it)

Edit: I don't have a source, but i got it in my email from them. I like to follow a few games

I am pretty sure they know that players aren't going to spend money on a game they don't like to have a title they don't care about. My vote is they are doing it as appreciation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnaby View Post
    I am pretty sure they know that players aren't going to spend money on a game they don't like to have a title they don't care about. My vote is they are doing it as appreciation.
    I have to agree. Something as small as a title isn't much incentive to continue paying $15 a month.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not worth coming back purely for a title, so I'd say they just want to say "thanks" to the people who helped the game get a moderately successful launch.

Appreciation, and why is this not in the SW:TOR forums?

Deleted
    Yeah, it's not like they are giving away Mass Effect 3 to those who sign up for a full year. This is simply a title to those who Founded the game.

Disclaimer: I can soo see the ME3 thing happening though.

Why would people care about a title if they wanted to quit? This thread was not well thought out.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

People like titles I guess. Maybe it's just a special gift not an incentive.

From my understanding you don't have to be subbed to gain the title anyway, just that you have bought the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Why would people care about a title if they wanted to quit? This thread was not well thought out.
    Yea exactly. I think the title is more of a reward for people who are sticking it out despite SW:TOR's current issues and bugs. I think it's a nice gesture from BioWare but SW:TOR's real test lies in the months ahead and how well the game evolves.

---------- Post added 2012-01-19 at 12:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Toccs View Post
    From my understanding you don't have to be subbed to gain the title anyway, just that you have bought the game.
    This is from the official page:

Complete one of the following transactions by March 19th, 2012 (12:01AM EST; Pacific: March 18th, 9:01PM PST; European: 4:01AM GMT, 5:01AM CET):

Billed at least once for an active Star Wars: The Old Republic subscription
    Redeemed a Star Wars: The Old Republic Game Time Code

So it looks like you need to have paid once for at least 1 month sub. Unless I'm reading it wrong?

Deleted
    thats why http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20120118-0

in order to receive the title you had to either pre order the game or pay for a 1 month subscription before march 19th

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    This is from the official page:

Complete one of the following transactions by March 19th, 2012 (12:01AM EST; Pacific: March 18th, 9:01PM PST; European: 4:01AM GMT, 5:01AM CET):

Billed at least once for an active Star Wars: The Old Republic subscription
    Redeemed a Star Wars: The Old Republic Game Time Code

So it looks like you need to have paid once for at least 1 month sub. Unless I'm reading it wrong?
    Ah no, looks like your right. 1 months sub it is then.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnaby View Post

Pretty much this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gniral View Post
    seems pretty much like a desperate move
    Yeah because £8 is worth it for the title? /sarcasm

You guys forgot other games did this too?

I take it that the title was meant for a thanks, as they said in the message. If anything we should be thanking them for making such a good game.

Actually, and my legal-speak isn't very good.

Per the EULA that's printed on the inside of 'my' copy SW:TOR

"The first 30 days of subscription fees are included in the purchase price of the product."

I read that as everyone who bought the game has been billed for an active subscription. For example, we paid $35 for the game and were billed $15 for the first 30-day subscription. Once you activated your account, you were billed that initial sub fee.

Then again, I'm not a lawyer but I think it's a plausible argument.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hexify View Post
    You guys forgot other games did this too?
    Did what? Give you a title for ordinary subscription? I don't know any that did this. I know that some games gave you bonuses if you signed up for longer amounts, Rift gave you items for the next X months, After 3 months you got one item, after the next you got another, but if you set your bill frequency to 6 months you got both items right away. Warcraft gave Diablo 3 for free if you subbed for an year.

No, this is just like the Founders edition of the Rift, that was somewhat like their CE. The only thing that this title might change is the people that are coming to the end of their free month but are posting to say they are going to wait a few months before resubbing to avoid the teething bugs. It's to reward the people who stick it out during the difficult phase. I think Rift gave lots of people a second free month (but that may have been a form of compensation for bad gameplay experiences).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toccs View Post
    Yeah because £8 is worth it for the title? /sarcasm
    When £8 is multiplied by a few hundred thousand, yeah it is worth it for Bioware.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimey View Post
    When £8 is multiplied by a few hundred thousand, yeah it is worth it for Bioware.
    Thats not what i was getting at. There is no evil agenda here if you don't like the game your hardly going to resub for an £8 title. Its simply a "Thank you for playing" gift to those that enjoy the game.