Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosonia View Post
    Anyone who plays WoW to raid understands why you simply cannot turn off the 5% buff.

Yesterday a friend from an old server I played on messaged me screaming "WE KILLED YOR'SAHJ US 150!!" or something like that...

See, now to MMO, US 150th is nothing, who cares right? WRONG. US 150 for people who only raid 12-16 hours a week is a very big deal.. and continuing to try to improve that is an even bigger deal.

So, when 5% comes out, if this guild decides not to use it, they will drop to US 200, or US 250 lets say... so in this race (which only ends when the xpac ends), we have NO choice but to use the 5% buff to stay competitive.

Another thing is many servers dont have a server first deathwing yet... this is still up for grabs, and extremely important to many people. This 5% buff will make the difference in who gets it first.. you think the guild who is _ALMOST_ there is going to ignore it because it's the right thing to do?

Anyone who says "just turn off the buff" is ignorant and not a real raider (EDIT: In my opinion :P). Just because it doesn't matter to you, doesn't mean it doesn't matter to others. So the next time you say "Just turn the buff off", think to yourself "who am i kidding??" The race is still on, many servers haven't done it yet, and are still pushing their very best to do so...
    So...after you get your first H MoD kill...turn off the buff? How hard is this logic?

It's funny... all of these are exactly the same arguments that we heard when they put in the ICC buff.

If you're most guilds, 5% doesn't win the fight for you. People aren't going to turn it off. Nobody cares if you do. It just makes for a fun thing to do at the end of the expansion if you want to see if you can. If you're in the tiny percentage that's already cleared out the whole instance, it doesn't hurt you because the rankings don't change. It doesn't matter how many people kill something after you do, and anyone who cares about the buff can easily check kill dates. Either way, if an applicant cares if you used the buff or not, they're just going to check dates on your kill -- however, most will not.

Nothing is harmed either way. The only valid argument is that it doesn't let people test themselves against the bosses that might have wanted to, but that's the whole point of being able to turn it off rather than just nerfing the bosses (which would probably be easier for blizzard to do) - if you really want to, you can do so, either before or after progression is over.

I would love to bet that no reader in MMO will ever turn off the the buff on progression, and im also sure most of you agree with this.

The ability to turn off this buff is not a real option.

And can i please point out that most of us are competing at the Server level? Not the National or World.
    Its pretty obvious the guilds at the national/world could give a damn. I don't see the posts about "no cares after world 100th" as constructive to this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Skullcrack View Post
    It's an option in the same sense as raiding without any gear equipped is an option.
    i would be more proud/impressed with someone killing current expat raid bosses naked than i would be of the ppl who got 8/8 HC after the patch, regardless of with or without the 5%

someone go get world first naked clear please

10+ Year Old Account
    Regardless of where your guild ranks, you still are just playing a video game, calm the hell down.
    Correction: If you are playing for some type of MLG ranking then yes you should be disqualified for using said buff. It's like being the Mark Mcgwire of Gaming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Remove some of your gear for the fights, and have no buff. even more epic! Yeah!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eow View Post
    Yes. But what is the downside to play with the buff? Only some pride you have that you killed it prenerf? Well if they dont implement the buff there is no prenerf. And there is no dead boss for those that complain they got the buff. Cause the same ppl complaining are obviously ones that need the buf fto kill stuff. Cause guys that already killed it are bathing in the sun and having fun laughing at you guys that cant kill anything (well in reality they dont and they dont care about you "general wow player" at all).

Its really simple. You killed it before the buff. Nice, good for you. You havent killed it before the buff. Nice, try harder, now kill it with the buff and dont be laughed at when you cant kill it with the buff aswell.
    Take the buff and be happy you "might" kill the boss. Its not guaranteed. You just might need 50% buff :S

p.s. Its not directed at you (guy i quoted) directly but to the general public that uses this kind of logic.
    Actually, I have no problem with the buff itself, it's fine by me, I have a problem because we didn't hit a wall yet, like Blizzard seems to pretend people have. I just think it's too soon. I raid 6h/week, been unable to raid 6h/week due to holidays, and I'm 3/8 HM and I don't think we would have any problem to get to 6/8 HM with current difficulty.

I have a hard time believing so many people hit a wall yet. I really believe this is like a month too soon, hence why I expect a MOP beta announcement soon to justify this.
    Karuzo | Drainlife, US-Arthas
    Mistweaver Monk - armory - twitter - raider.io - twitch

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosonia View Post
    Anyone who says "just turn off the buff" is ignorant and not a real raider (EDIT: In my opinion :P). Just because it doesn't matter to you, doesn't mean it doesn't matter to others. So the next time you say "Just turn the buff off", think to yourself "who am i kidding??" The race is still on, many servers haven't done it yet, and are still pushing their very best to do so...
    So this is a "Blizz, we're mad at you because we need to be saved from ourselves" thread.

"If you ain't first, you're last" - Reese Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by Emane View Post
    "
    What I would like to see instead, is something that they go out with from the start of the raid. You guys have 1-2 months before we implement this "-/+ *% buff/nerf" to the bosses. So people know, that you have until that date to kill it pre nerf. And if you fail, well better luck next tier.
    I would have thought by now, most people would already know they have 2 months before the nerf start rolling in. I called mid Feburary for when the nerfs would start, I was off by 2 weeks. Though I cheat, I look at WoWprogress and when I see the progression stop on servers, I know the nerfs are coming. Wheny ou see more than 2-3 guilds stuck on 1/8HC for a month, the nerfs are coming.

I'm calling it now, in MoP, Nerfs for content will come 2-2 1/2 months after each tier release

To be fair to the more focused raiders, I do think the nerfs are a little soon, My original prediction was around the first of March, by then you could really say if you're still stuck, then you really aren't going to get it. Obviously, Blizzards numbers show even worse progression and maybe they are already seeing a decline in people raiding and that means a decline in subs, so you need to give people a reason to keep showing up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendball View Post
    i would be more proud/impressed with someone killing current expat raid bosses naked than i would be of the ppl who got 8/8 HC after the patch, regardless of with or without the 5%

someone go get world first naked clear please
    There was a guild in vanilla and BC that raided content without pants on. (Obv. talking about pants slot equiped.)

They didn't do it for their first kills but they did after (at least once). Was pretty funny. I don't remember their name or if they are still around.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    It is an option. You just don't want to do it.
    Did you ever play unreal tournament?
    Or rather, did you ever play a game that had power-ups that you could pick up to increase you damage, or speed or health etc?

Now answer this: If you COULD get a power-up, did you ever turn it down?

No-one in their right mind would ever NOT take a power-up. Why is it any different in WoW?

A popular quote from ICC forums: "Hey, guys, let's get WF LK 25HM with no flasks/food buffs!"

This whole idea of "real raider" is just so mind-bogglingly idiotic. It's a freaking video game. I'm not saying you can't feel good about your achievements and being able to down bosses quicker than other people, but please drop this weird need to feel superior to other video game players as if it's some meaningful life accomplishment that you're entitled to hold onto forever. I understand the very top guilds whose existence depends on how quickly they finish raids would have reason to be concerned about these progressive nerfs... if they hadn't already cleared the content. Any sort of competition beyond those guilds is completely and utterly meaningless and serves only to stroke someone's ego. And that's fine too, really, but getting upset that nerfs are being applied specifically because people are having trouble downing these bosses is nutty.

Actually, it IS an option and if you really want to keep that "high" rank than DON TURN IT OFF, is it really that hard? Just to be higher "ranked" in the world? If it means that much to you or your friend than you won´t turn it off and wont care at all. But in the end, its just numbers, and if ur not top 20 noone gives a shit.

Who the flying hell cares about US 150? The world first guild is the only thing that really matters, even though the top 10-20 got their spot on the list. Enjoy the game, turn off the buff if you guild don't want to play a nerfed version. This is much better that:

Ultraxion health and damage reduced by 20% etc etc

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hiromitsu View Post
    I agree. What is the point in turning it off. You are making it harder on yourselves.
    That's the hilarious part of this. People complain about Blizzard making the game too easy and then turn around and complain about how they can't really turn off the buff. It's so hypocritical that one really can only laugh.

If you want to run the race, run it with the buff on. After the race is over, if you want to farm the content, farm it with the buff off. If you want the challenge, turn the buff off.

This 5% buff wont change the outcome of the race at all, it will just happen faster. Keep in mind that every piece of gear your guild gets actually nerfs the content too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    People are definitely kidding themselves if they think the 5% buff is truly optional. Part of the fun in raiding is clearing the content before other guilds on your server. Why would any sane raid leader sacrifice that advantage?
    And yet the option is still there. lol

Your raid leader doesn't want to turn off the buff? Sounds like a guild issue, not a Blizzard issue.

Let's all have a moment of silence because your friends bragging becomes 5% less impressive.

---------- Post added 2012-01-19 at 05:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    People are definitely kidding themselves if they think the 5% buff is truly optional. Part of the fun in raiding is clearing the content before other guilds on your server. Why would any sane raid leader sacrifice that advantage?

Honestly, and I know I'm going to get flamed for this (but I also know it to be true), the folks who are defending Blizzard's decision here are LFRaiders or VERY casual raiders, not real raiders. Nothing wrong with that either, they just don't understand the raiding guild mentality at all, and that's fine. And honestly, I'm not surprised there are so many of these folks defending Blizzard here. I think most of the real raiders abandoned ship a while ago.
    And raiders are delussional. Competing with mediocre guilds on your server is pointless. Servers matter less and less. So who are you kidding by 'competing' with them? People that compete with mediocre guilds on their server are LFRaders or VERY casual raiders. Nothing wrong with that, but real raiding guilds compete worldwide.