Heroic Ultraxion (shaman+priest)

I'm looking for some pointers. We tried ultra for the first time on heroic tonight and got wrecked pretty hard. I have no idea about priests, so I can't give the guy any advice (or know if he's just doing it wrong)...so can someone with experience give me a quick rundown of do's and don'ts?

my armory: Shaman
    his armory: Priest

I do the typical healing rain & chain heal stuff that gets me through normal just fine (taking the red buff), but I've been doing it with paladins up till now. As I said, I have no idea what would work best with this combo of healers or even if this combo of healers is feasible while learning the fight.

If Holy priest, he should take Red and you Green, then he takes Blue.
    Thats how WE do.

Deleted
    He should be Disc and he should be reforging for crit or haste as they are the best PoH stats. He should only be using PW:S for Rupture and the rest of the time it should be nothing but PoH spam with PoM on cooldoown. He should take red since green is useless for absorbs and you should take green+blue. PW:B should be glyphed and used twice in the fight.

I say he should be Disc because glyphed PW:B is the best raid CD in the game and because he can contribute a fair bit to DPS that way while still outputting good raid heals, a Disc who is reforged for crit or haste can spam some strong PoH. However I think overall Holy is a bit higher on HPS and he does seem to have a lot of spirit so Holy might work, if that's the case then his priority should still be on AoE healing.

Any combo if healers is feasible, especially with the 5% nerf it's doable with your gear (although it'll be hard). You guys just have to be good at utilizing every CD you can and making the most of your mana to pump out that HPS. Although given a choice always take a Holy Pally instead.

Thanks for the advice. I'll pass it along.

We had a great holy paladin a few weeks ago, but IRL issues love to smack down our healers.

We tried 2 setups of healers. One with a Disc Priest + Shaman and one with a Holy Priest + Shaman.

The Disc + Shaman compo tried 2 things : Red buff for Disc and Green + Blue for the Shaman but they got better result (boss down ) with the Disc Priest taking Green + Blue and the Shaman taking the Red one. But somehow they can't prevent people from dying after 5 min 20 in the fight.

We also tried Holy Priest + Shaman : Shaman took the Red buff and me (Holy Priest) took the Green + Blue buff. Healing was a lot smoother than with the disc priest and we were able to keep people alive a bit longer (around 5 min 40).
    Last edited by Pepper; 2012-02-01 at 09:25 AM.

We only had two healers for a while so we used Resto Shaman/Disc Priest every week. The Shaman needs to take red and blue. If he does this he can practically solo heal the entire fight. The disc priest takes green because he's not often casting shields anyway so while not as good, it's not a massive problem. Our priest did 3M damage last attempt. At your gear level I would expect that won't be possible, but 2M will make a big difference. Ensure as well that you are using your fire elemental. It does over 1M damage which is a big deal (cuts 4 seconds off the fight).

I'm not sure exactly what spells are cast by the shaman, but his gear is more or less the same as yours so if he can solo heal it until about 4 minutes you can also.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-ha...5#Unforgivíng

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaru View Post
    We only had two healers for a while so we used Resto Shaman/Disc Priest every week. The Shaman needs to take red and blue. If he does this he can practically solo heal the entire fight. The disc priest takes green because he's not often casting shields anyway so while not as good, it's not a massive problem. Our priest did 3M damage last attempt. At your gear level I would expect that won't be possible, but 2M will make a big difference. Ensure as well that you are using your fire elemental. It does over 1M damage which is a big deal (cuts 4 seconds off the fight).
    Shields or no shields a Disc who is reforged and optimized for this fight will do a huge chunk of their healing from Divine Aegis which isn't affected by green. I'm talking 40%+ of the healing here, that's a huge amount that you're completely wasting by making him take green. You might have done it that way but it still doesn't make it really optimized, if your Shaman is taking red then the Disc should be blue. Blue is still pretty damn good for Priests.

For us:

Disc priest (me): Red
    Resto shaman: Green then blue

Always worked for us since day one. Priest just PoH spams, keeps Rapture on cd, Barrier at soft enrage mark. Glyph would make it easymode at that point.

We just chain cds at the soft enrage point. Barrier, then Spirit Link, then raid wall... we usually kill it before we need a raid wall.

Thanks again for the help. More to think about.