View Poll Results: a nice guy or a jerk?

Voters
223. This poll is closed
  • Nice guy

112 50.22%
  • Jerk

111 49.78%
Page 1 of 27
... LastLast
    Deleted

A nice guy or a jerk?

So earlier today i did my weekly LFR. I was just going through the loot drops in Atlasloot, i didnt need anything from LFR but id still like to see what drops from what. Thats when i remembered a few post here on mmo-champ about how some ppl roll on loot that they dont need and just leave and dont take it if they win or try to sell it to his fellow raiders. So for the 8 bosses of DS i rolled on everything i could equip and when i won the item i checked who rolled 2nd to me and checked his gear. If he really needed the item i traded it to him, free and without any charges. From all these people i got a smiley and a thanks and that made me feel good about myself.

But now to the question: In your eyes is this kinda of a jerk move or a work of a nice guy?

Jerk move. You're essentially promoting yourself to a position of power when, well, no one should be there.
    Cho’Gall: Cairne Bloodhoof is dead? Did we kill him?
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.
    Cho’Gall: How do you accidentally kill someone with an axe?

Deleted
    How could that be considered being a nice guy?

You didn't do anything wrong. You queued, rolled, and won. Then you decided to be nice and give it to someone else instead of keep it, so I'd call that a nice guy.
    It's called Bloodlust not Heroism.
    I used to be a good player once. Now I'm a casual

Eh, jerk move I think. That's like stealing from 10 people and then giving it to one of them. One will say "Oh you're great!" but the others are going to feel cheated that you entered at all.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

I say hang em by the balls.

If they pulled their weight you did the right thing.

I look at it this way, if everyone preformed at their lvl would we have won? Someone pulling 10k in a raid shouldnt be rewarded with anything, they are lucky to be along for the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post

I look at it this way, if everyone preformed at their lvl would we have won? Someone pulling 10k in a raid shouldnt be rewarded with anything, they are lucky to be along for the ride.
    Yeah but who are you to make the decision between who gets loot and who doesn't?

It's really not your job to, and I really don't think you should. At all.
    Cho’Gall: Cairne Bloodhoof is dead? Did we kill him?
    Deathwing: No. The Grimtotems weakened him with poison, and then Garrosh accidentally hacked him to death with an axe during a heated political discussion.
    Cho’Gall: How do you accidentally kill someone with an axe?

Deleted
    Jerk move. You are all contributing to the kill and whoever wins wins, whether it's a minor or massive upgrade, they won it and they earned it.

If you're in the position where player x didn't pull his weight, well that's an issue you should have looked into when you formed the group. Whoever wins wins, if they can use it then let them have it.

Who are you to determine who deserves it or needs it? If it was a guild situation then it can be done that way, giving it to someone that it benefits the most, but most loot councils are corrupt.

Jerk move, you make it harder for others to get loot, making yourself a 'leader' who decides things. Some people are new to raiding and might be nervous and scared to do so.

I helped my brother in his first raid, and he was really scared, and underperformed because of that, do not make life harder for people.

10+ Year Old Account
    OP: Either you screw, or you get screwed. Pick your camp.

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post

Agree @ chadwix

If the person you gave it to deserved it and is pulling their weight for sure they deserve it

Ive had it happen to me on my rogue so I think people that help people that are trying to get into normals or guilds are nice

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to go Chaotic neutral... technically you shouldn't roll at all, but if you're stopping people from winning who don't deserve it more power to you! I really only do that on Madness with the weapons after losing my feral polearm to several boomkins I feel compelled to though.

from the sounds of it the OP was checking if the person with the second highest roll (who therefor would have won it if the OP hadn't rolled), already had the item or better before giving it to them. So it's a bit on the fence. It's a nice move in the sense that they were keeping people from winning items they had no use for and were just rolling on for the sake of rolling since they could hit Need, but at the same time people shouldn't roll on items that they don't need.

i didnt need anything from LFR but id still like to see what drops from what
    By needing on gear you did not need it kind of makes you part of the problem, so imo, a jerk.

I kinda do the same thing, and then I give it to the next person down the line from me, granted they weren't afk or just going along for the ride.

It's not elitist - it's doing what you can to make sure the people who put in some effort have a better chance of being rewarded.

For example: A hunter on Madness who just auto shot the whole time - he even jumped to the new platform with the group and then went back to auto shooting. Of course Kiril drops and everyone rolls who can. I win it (already have it) and instead of giving it to the hunter who just auto shot (he was the 2nd highest roll) I gave it to the hunter who had the 3rd highest roll because, while his dps was not great, it was good enough and it was obvious that he was trying the whole fight.

You should've heard the QQ from that slacker hunter.

So you rolled and gave it to the second highest roller anyway...fishing for compliments like a hot girl that says she's ugly. GTFO
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

10+ Year Old Account
    I shall decide who gets loot and who doesn't.

Basically what you're saying. And it honestly depends. There are so many variables, but generally speaking, yes, I'd say it's a dick move. Nothing to feel good about, though. You're just fucking around with things that are better left alone. The system is broken, yes, but if Blizzard wanted to assign people gear based on a majority vote or some kind of consenus, they'd have done it.
    Last edited by foxHeart; 2012-01-19 at 09:27 PM.

I think it's a good thing to do.
    On my first Deathwing kill a rogue needed on the bow only because he didn't want other people to ninja it. And as long as you do pass it to whoever rolled 2nd highest that needs it, I don't see a problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    Eh, jerk move I think. That's like stealing from 10 people and then giving it to one of them. One will say "Oh you're great!" but the others are going to feel cheated that you entered at all.
    But he gives it to the 2nd highest roller. Your argument is invalid.

Quote Originally Posted by Daphne Blake View Post
    Jerk move, you make it harder for others to get loot, making yourself a 'leader' who decides things. Some people are new to raiding and might be nervous and scared to do so.

I helped my brother in his first raid, and he was really scared, and underperformed because of that, do not make life harder for people.
    Please explain how in the world this will be "Harder" for others to get loot? And how does he make himself leader. And what does he decide exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalier View Post
    from the sounds of it the OP was checking if the person with the second highest roll (who therefor would have won it if the OP hadn't rolled), already had the item or better before giving it to them. So it's a bit on the fence. It's a nice move in the sense that they were keeping people from winning items they had no use for and were just rolling on for the sake of rolling since they could hit Need, but at the same time people shouldn't roll on items that they don't need.
    So I'm not allowed to put my roll in ONLY to ensure that some other idiot doesn't need just because he can?
    Whats better:
    10 people roll need and only one can actually use it - 10% chance of the item being won by the good guy.
    11 people roll need where only one can use it, and if I win it he gets it - 18% chance of item going to the good guy
    Sure, the 2nd option will piss off 9 people, but who cares? They needed only to vendor it.

Quote Originally Posted by Commissarr View Post
    Jerk move. You are all contributing to the kill and whoever wins wins, whether it's a minor or massive upgrade, they won it and they earned it.

If you're in the position where player x didn't pull his weight, well that's an issue you should have looked into when you formed the group. Whoever wins wins, if they can use it then let them have it.

Who are you to determine who deserves it or needs it? If it was a guild situation then it can be done that way, giving it to someone that it benefits the most, but most loot councils are corrupt.
    See above: He gives it to the 2nd highest roller if it's an upgrade. The game still decides who will win it.
    And it's not a guild run, it's LFR. Even if player X didn't do much dps, he should still get the item if he wins.
    And by your logic, he contributed to the kill and won the item fair and square. He then decided to give it to someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    I shall decide who gets loot and who doesn't.

Basically what you're saying. And it honestly depends. There are so many variables, but generally speaking, yes, I'd say it's a dick move. Nothing to feel good about, though. You're just fucking around with things that are better left alone. The system is broken, yes, but if Blizzard wanted to assign people gear based on a majority vote or some kind of consenus, they'd have done it.
    He doesn't "Decide" anything. 5 people roll:
    A: 10
    B: 24
    C: 58
    D: 68
    C: 98 <-- OP
    Is it an upgrade for D? If no, check C. If still no, check B, if still no, check A. If still no, keep it.
    Give the item to the highest letter where it's an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdruidelf View Post
    Jerk move. You're essentially promoting yourself to a position of power when, well, no one should be there.
    See all of the above explanations for why he doesn't have any "Power".

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    How could that be considered being a nice guy?
    Please explain why it can't. Because I only see it as a good guy thing.

If anyone I replied to think it's okay to need in LFR for shits and giggles, don't don't bother replying to this btw.
    Last edited by zyx; 2012-01-19 at 09:47 PM.