Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Saykred View Post
    but it's a Cult. Not a church.
    I honestly don't see the difference.
    "Care about 'er? I love her! I'd kill everyone in the world and myself if she wanted it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Negrido View Post
    Its just one of many splinter groups. There is no main christian church. There are sects that are more well known than others, or more prominent. But that doesn't give them any more authority in matters magical and imagined.

The shia fightt he sunnie and the catholics fight the protestants because each views itself as the true or "main" face of the religion. And we all know how bloody that mess gets.
    dude... there are more Catholics than all the other christian faiths populatons combined. Catholicism is definitely the main christian faith...
    Catholicism: 1.2 BILLION
    Protestantism: 670 million
    Eastern Orthodoxy: 230 million
    Oriental orthodoxy: 82 million
    Anglicanism: 82 million
    Restorationism: 40 million
    Mormonism: 9 million
    Last edited by Defengar; 2012-02-08 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saykred View Post
    Well, to be honest, he's a pretenda-mormon then. Like all half Christians that bring it up when they want to feel superior but don't believe or have total faith. THIS is what gives Christians a bad name.

I'm a Christian, not mormon, and I grew up in Utah. Lived in Salt Lake City for 19 years. Those who think the LDS Church is just another church, is completely wrong. I won't go into the finer details I've experience, like weddings in temples, etc, but it's a Cult. Not a church. Anyone who tells you differently is simply ignorant.
    christianity is a cult of judaism...

There is little difference... Jesus was exactly like the cult leaders are today

10+ Year Old Account
    What I want is an athiest president and an athiest government. I find it both ludicrous and embarrassing that superstitions from 2000-year-old myths are considered acceptable discourse in American politics.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's all going to come down to:

Do you hate (minorities/gays/womens rights/the poor) more than you hate mormons?

There's enough hate in the world to get anyone elected. But we seem to lose no matter what.
    Last edited by Tychoblu; 2012-02-08 at 12:14 AM.

I honestly don't see the difference.
    A religion makes the transition from a cult once it reaches several hundred thousand members or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Defengar View Post
    dude... there are more Catholics than all the other christian faiths populatons combined. Catholicism is definitely the main christian faith...
    Catholicism: 1.2 BILLION
    Protestantism: 670 million
    Eastern Orthodoxy: 230 million
    Oriental orthodoxy: 82 million
    Anglicanism: 82 million
    Restorationism: 40 million
    condemning birthcontrol and claiming all who are baptized to be part of the faith is not playing fair

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McSpriest View Post
    i don't really care about the religion of a president as long as it doesn't interfere with their ability to effectively run the country.
    religion gets blown way out of proportion and has little actual significance on a persons ability to govern
    Pretty much this. I don't really care what's who's religion as long as they don't force it on everyone else. Everyone has their own belief.
    I. Like. To. Kill. Things.
    For Pony!

A religion makes the transition from a cult once it reaches several hundred thousand members or so.
    14 million mormons....

also, does that mean that all religions were cults when there werent several thousand people in existance...?

---------- Post added 2012-02-08 at 01:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pisholina View Post
    Pretty much this. I don't really care what's who's religion as long as they don't force it on everyone else. Everyone has their own belief.
    I dont really care what's who's politics as long as they dont force it on everyone else... Everyone has their own policies...

You see how big a difference there is?

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    14 million mormons....

also, does that mean that all religions were cults when there werent several thousand people in existance...?
    I never said that Mormonism is a cult.

I would say that the number relies on the number of people actually on earth at the time. Considering during the early stone age, 400 people would be a real percentage of the human population.

---------- Post added 2012-02-07 at 06:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    condemning birthcontrol and claiming all who are baptized to be part of the faith is not playing fair
    well, they also had an 1100-1900 year head start on every other one of those as well...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    It'd be either protestant or catholic, most likely protestant. Though it's all the same shit just different smell.
    Protestant is a category, though, not a religion.

It'd be like if someone asked me what city I was from and I said North America.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

It's the most populous of the sects. I don't see how that makes it the "main christian church".
    So then all those sects that you listed are just large cults. This communicates what is necessary.
    The mormons are just one of the smaller cults, but they have enough money that they realize that they can gain influence and change how people view them. I would think it in everyone's best interest to see this work undone.
    "Care about 'er? I love her! I'd kill everyone in the world and myself if she wanted it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nev yn View Post
    And the teachings about Blacks being the descendents of Cain? Or that those of darker skin experience skin lightening when they properly follow church doctrine (casting away their sin, etc etc)?
    The Bible says cain and his descendants were marked as well, and there is no such doctrine in the LDS church that states black people become white lol. You are probably referring to their soul made clean, but that is the same thing which happends to all people, chinese, white, indian, black, hispanic, w/e.

Its just one of many splinter groups. There is no main christian church. There are sects that are more well known than others, or more prominent. But that doesn't give them any more authority in matters magical and imagined.

The shia fightt he sunnie and the catholics fight the protestants because each views itself as the true or "main" face of the religion. And we all know how bloody that mess gets..
    You can claim issue with divine authority all you want but that's a completely separate issue that has nothing to do with whether or not Catholicism was the "main/original" church. That's just pure historical fact, mostly because for almost 1500 years the Catholic church was pretty much the only significant Christian church(it stamped out most other "heresy's" quickly and ones that did gain some traction were typically a mere fraction of a percent of the total Christian population). Almost every major christian denomination all the way back to the gnostics and Catharism splintered from the Catholic church and every group can be tied as a splinter from the Catholic church itself like Lutheran or Episcopalian or as a splinter group from a group that had already broken off from the Catholic church. Not to mention the whole idea of apostolic succession and the Papacy is pretty much well able to trace its way back to Peter, and while I'd hope to avoid quoting the bible can be describe as "the rock upon which I found my church,". "I" In this case being Jesus. I'm sure you could make a compelling argument for other alternatives that popped up in the very early and formative days of the Catholic Church but the Catholic church did a pretty damn good job of keeping people in line until Martin Luther came along and as I said pretty every denomination can trace its way back to a founder that broke from a group that broke from a group that broke from the Catholic church.

The Shia fight and sunnie fight is actually a little different in how it came about and is actually not the best comparison to Christianity. Granted I don't know all the specific dogmatic differences between Shia and Sunni but to me the main issue of contention was who would succeed Mohammad. It's a much deeper dogmatic disagreement between Catholics and protestants and other than the mutual and often violent disdain for each other I'd say that's about as far as the comparison can go. I'd say it's much more akin to the Catholic/Eastern Orthodox split. Either way it seems the fundamental issue of disagreement is with what main is. In my interpretation the Catholic church is the largest and as I mentioned pretty much every denomination in existence today can trace its way back to the original Catholic church. The fact that the Catholic Church is pretty much the progenitor of every protestant denomination and the fact that it still maintains at least numerical dominance certainly suggests a prominent role and calling it the main Christian church would hardly be disingenuous. Had it effectively dissolved into the annals of history of course I would not be making that claim. You seem to be making the case that it's whoever has the greater "divine authority" of which you feel cannot exist and thus equivocate all of them which is a historically disingenuous stand point when trying to understand how the differences came about and the real world implications of them.

And before people get antsy at me I'm not the least bit religious. I was however raised in a religious household and love history.

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Personally, I don't like religious people. The more religious they are the less I like them. Mormons are more religious than the average christian, ergo...you get my meaning.
    I get exactly what you mean, you're a bigot.
    Last edited by shimerra; 2012-02-08 at 12:39 AM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jahasafrat View Post
    What I want is an athiest president and an athiest government. I find it both ludicrous and embarrassing that superstitions from 2000-year-old myths are considered acceptable discourse in American politics.
    I agree and support for every country.

Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    You seem to be making the case that it's whoever has the greater "divine authority" of which you feel cannot exist and thus equivocate all of them which is a historically disingenuous stand point when trying to understand how the differences came about and the real world implications of them.

And before people get antsy at me I'm not the least bit religious. I was however raised in a religious household and love history.
    I just feel its odd saying that any of these groups would be the main christian church since from what I can tell its a serious of people saying that they are right and everyone else is wrong.
    For whatever reason that fact at least the vast majority of these groups can be traced back to catholicism escaped me. I find that a much more compelling argument than simply "they are the biggest".

The matter of divine authority isn't directly related to this, I'm sorry if my ramblings are less than organized. I'm not exactly issuing prepared statements heh.

Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    You can claim issue with divine authority all you want but that's a completely separate issue that has nothing to do with whether or not Catholicism was the "main/original" church. That's just pure historical fact, mostly because for almost 1500 years the Catholic church was pretty much the only significant Christian church(it stamped out most other "heresy's" quickly and ones that did gain some traction were typically a mere fraction of a percent of the total Christian population).
    I'm going to guess that the Eastern Orthodox Church would quibble with this characterization of the historical record.

15+ Year Old Account
    Closing yet another topic about religion. Remember, this topic is not allowed on MMO-Champion.