Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
12
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Scarab Lord Noobadin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,059
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbadxampl View Post
    yeah, but should we really have to fight our own government?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants." ~ Thomas Jefferson


    Quote Originally Posted by Byniri View Post
    Anyone else get really pissed off when you hear someone say this?
    No, why would I get pissed when someone is actually paying attention to what their government does.
    With all this SOPA/PIPA crap going on, more and more idiots on facebook/etc keep on saying "I thought we had freedom in America..." or "The Gov't takes away all our freedom", and my only response is always:
    Well SOPA/PIPA could lead to internet censorship. You know the same kind that we condemn China for? And once that happens who's to say what's next?

    If you think Americans have no freedom, go to Iran, go to Syria, China or North Korea. You'll be begging for American freedom in a day.
    Why would I go over there? I actually like the freedoms that our forefathers gave their lives for. Just because we have more than them doesn't mean we should let them get pissed away till we're in the same boat as them.
    Last edited by Noobadin; 2012-01-20 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Added moar!!!!

  2. #22
    Legendary! vindicatorx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Posts
    6,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Byniri View Post
    Anyone else get really pissed off when you hear someone say this?

    With all this SOPA/PIPA crap going on, more and more idiots on facebook/etc keep on saying "I thought we had freedom in America..." or "The Gov't takes away all our freedom", and my only response is always:


    If you think Americans have no freedom, go to Iran, go to Syria, China or North Korea. You'll be begging for American freedom in a day.



    Anyone else have opinions on this?
    You should have just put this in that When will Americans stand up thread rather than making another thread that will result in more nation bashing. The point people are trying to make in their coplaints with SOPA and PIPA and the National Defense Authorization Act is that these are stepping stones to remove our freedoms. Now that the NDAA has passed they can legally hold anyone they feel is a possible terroist as long as they want with no due process. If you like the freedoms you have you should try and take notice when they are slowly being taken away.

  3. #23
    Cookie Monster Radux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    12,911
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants." ~ Thomas Jefferson
    Agreed. It gets to the point where it's no longer about "we the people" or voicing for them, but rather securing their cushy position and potentially micromanaging numbers forever. So as the government focuses on itself internally, the people need to kind of stand up for themselves here and there to tell them to cut it out.

    I'll agree that we're in a much better position than many other places. However, there shouldn't be a reason for self destruction (self being the keyword).

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Byniri View Post
    Anyone else get really pissed off when you hear someone say this?

    With all this SOPA/PIPA crap going on, more and more idiots on facebook/etc keep on saying "I thought we had freedom in America..." or "The Gov't takes away all our freedom", and my only response is always:


    If you think Americans have no freedom, go to Iran, go to Syria, China or North Korea. You'll be begging for American freedom in a day.



    Anyone else have opinions on this?
    .
    well you just proven that stupidity is very common in America.
    1. one thing is freedom under Tyranny.
    2. completely another under supposed democracy.

    you people even think Soviet Russia and China are Communist.
    pull your head out of your ass.
    Kenny gona die tonight!!!

  5. #25
    the root cause of this is the two-party first-past-the-post system that America has really..You guys don't have more than 2 choices in reality (read up more on FPTP to understand why independants don't have a realistic chance anytime soon). This is why your politicians can be bought so easily as well, because they (corporations/lobbyists) need to just pick 1 party and throw money at whoever they want representing them.

    SOPA/PIPA? Hollywood is behind it.

  6. #26
    I think the thing that bothers me the most is people think they are entitled to downloading music/movies for free. Where are the artists rights to not have his/her shit pirated. It's like going out to eat and then dine and dashing and claiming its your right to eat so you shouldn't have to pay for it.

    [Banhammer, Kungen's Bane]

    1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry
    "As you look upon the mace, you hear the whining of a thousand fanboys. Something deep with in your soul makes it impossible to think anything but 'lol.'"

  7. #27
    The Lightbringer Mandible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    3,376
    With the way people are being "brought together" by the internet it will feel like people will have less freedom. But even with all the people being pissed over this matter there are even more who wont give a damn which is why this case is not more out in the open.
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

  8. #28
    Immortal Clockwork Pinkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    Posts
    7,569
    Every great kingdom falls. Won't be long before it's our time. But it's not something to be losing our heads about at the moment. Bigger things to worry about than bills that have a 5% chance of actually passing. Things like the economy. Not just the US economy, the whole world.


  9. #29
    Theres a reason people are saying it. Your freedoms are being taken away bit by bit, gradually.

    It's more clear looking at it from a foreign country like mine, than inside US, where big media usually doesnt tell you anything that doesnt serve the intrests of the powers that be. This isnt conspiracy theory, it's sad reality. More sad is that what happens in your country will in time effect others, like mine.
    Last edited by Armass; 2012-01-20 at 08:33 AM.

  10. #30
    The Insane smrund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    15,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Armass View Post
    Theres a reason people are saying it. Your freedoms are being taken away bit by bit, gradually.

    It's more clear looking at it from a foreign country like mine, than inside US, where big media usually doesnt tell you anything that doesnt serve the intrests of the powers that be. This isnt conspiracy theory, it's sad reality. More sad is that what happens in your country will in time effect others, like mine.
    The same statement rings true for you. Name a country and their freedoms are being "taken away". The list of countries in which freedoms are being extended is unremarkably short and lists off countries who nobody really cares about anyway.

    Losing our freedoms? We started the club, you're just walking in the door and noticing the fat kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    Sometimes life gives you lemons, other times life gives you boobies. Life is always better with more boobies.
    Blizzard removed my subscription from WoD's features, it'll be added sometime later.
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  11. #31
    Back in 93 I went to the US for the first time on a holiday. This was before the internet had become easily accessible and the only way to get any news was to read news papers.

    One huge difference I immediately discovered from back home (Norway) was the almost complete lack of foreign news in the newspapers and in the news on tv. And when there was foreign news it was always about US interests overseas. This explained to me why most americans have no clue what happens overseas. This made me change my opinion of americans from being a bit stupid to being just uninformed...
    -Ivar

  12. #32
    There is less and less freedom in america you can be thrown to jail without a trial, "they" allready control economy and information now "they"'re really afraid of internet and this underground information network.

    So yes If nothing changes we'll see in then year if it's so funny to compare Iran to US ...

    BTW not pointing us necessarely this is a global trend.

  13. #33
    The Insane Catta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,963
    Its because americans like to remind everyone how they are the freest people in the world and how america is darn best country in the whole wide world... and after a while - that gets pretty fucking obnoxius... Western Europeans point out that americans have less freedoms than us because... its true...

    we have a smaller prison population for one... Holland even have legalized drugs... The US has the war on drugs resulting in 3,5 % of all adult americans are criminals... You have a corrupt government full of inept religious populists who represent you and plenty of lobbyists...

    If americans didnt claim to be the best all the fucking time then there wouldnt be so much "hate" - all we do is point out what you say isnt true and if that is offensive then welcome to reality

  14. #34
    The Insane smrund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    15,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Its because americans like to remind everyone how they are the freest people in the world and how america is darn best country in the whole wide world... and after a while - that gets pretty fucking obnoxius... Western Europeans point out that americans have less freedoms than us because... its true...

    we have a smaller prison population for one... Holland even have legalized drugs... The US has the war on drugs resulting in 3,5 % of all adult americans are criminals... You have a corrupt government full of inept religious populists who represent you and plenty of lobbyists...

    If americans didnt claim to be the best all the fucking time then there wouldnt be so much "hate" - all we do is point out what you say isnt true and if that is offensive then welcome to reality
    Right, Europeans never point out that they're superior to everyone else...sure....
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    Sometimes life gives you lemons, other times life gives you boobies. Life is always better with more boobies.
    Blizzard removed my subscription from WoD's features, it'll be added sometime later.
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  15. #35
    I am Murloc! Garnier Fructis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Location:
    Posts
    5,623
    The fact that we hold the most freedom among any nation in the world is all the more reason to fiercely defend it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Mobius strip still has 2 sides. you can pinch 2 fingers on both sides of the ribbon at the same spot
    Quote Originally Posted by auBerg View Post
    You are a certified crackpot that is subservient to the manipulators of science who are dreaming to control knowledge.

  16. #36
    The OP is the classic example of the boiling frog.

    They can take you out of your home right now, not tell you why, and hold you indefinitely without trial. In America.

    You can compare the USA to Iran and the like all you want, but the list of differences between the two grow shorter and shorter every day while you sit there bathing in ignorance.
    Last edited by The Acrimony; 2012-01-20 at 09:55 AM.

  17. #37
    The Insane Catta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    The fact that we hold the most freedom among any nation in the world is all the more reason to fiercely defend it.
    in what regard do you "hold the most freedom"?

    do you hold the most freedom captive?

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by The Acrimony View Post
    The OP is the classic example of the boiling frog.

    They can take you out of your home, right now, and hold you indefinitely without trial. In America.

    You can compare the USA to Iran and the like all you want, but the list of differences between the two grow shorter and shorter every day while you sit there bathing in ignorance.
    This pretty much sums up my entire thought about "Freedom" in america.
    Its an illusion!

    Americans are like pets. As long as they are allowed to run around and do whatever they want they think they are free. But when papa gets mad he can and will do whatever he wants with you. And none will care.

  19. #39
    The Patient Rhomaioi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Fredericia, Denmark
    Posts
    201
    Well, you might have a bucketload of freedom - On the paper.

    In reality, you're all puppets of the major corporations - They are the ones you work for, they give you your salary, and without social security given by a non-corrupt government, these corporations are free to screw with you as much as they want to.

    If you try to claim your freedom, you will find that it will not work out at all.
    The Elder Trolls - I hope I never see them on the forums, ever...

  20. #40
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    London England
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Its because americans like to remind everyone how they are the freest people in the world and how america is darn best country in the whole wide world... and after a while - that gets pretty fucking obnoxius... Western Europeans point out that americans have less freedoms than us because... its true...

    we have a smaller prison population for one... Holland even have legalized drugs... The US has the war on drugs resulting in 3,5 % of all adult americans are criminals... You have a corrupt government full of inept religious populists who represent you and plenty of lobbyists...

    If americans didnt claim to be the best all the fucking time then there wouldnt be so much "hate" - all we do is point out what you say isnt true and if that is offensive then welcome to reality
    wow, this is so stupid... Are you from Holland? I am guessing this by the way you say "We have a smaller prieson population..." "Holland even have legalized drugs" if this is the casse. Yes Americans prison population is higher, the countries population dwarfs Hollands, probably by something stupid like 10 - 1 (yess i pulled that figure out of my ass). Holland has legalized weed? Yes.. So do many states in america, yes sure, you may need a medical card but you can pretty much buy one of those from a doctor for around $80 then your good to go. I will also hazard a guess that all the states in America combined that has medical weed also dwarfs the size of Holland.

    Your arguements are pathetic, stupid and basically make you look like an ignorant brat.

    and no, I am not American nor do i live in America.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •