Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    F2P games that offer players the choice between time/money are the best.

When we have the choice between time or money that is an ideal model for us as gamers.

LotRO is probably the best example of the ability to run a P2P and F2P model exceedingly well together. I believe, except for the absolute newest content in an expansion, you have the ability to gain access to everything through the LotRO store.

The difference is that you do not have to spend a dime to use the store. Doing quests, completing deeds, finishing story arcs, etc. all net you Turbine Points. You then spend the points towards unlocking what you need access to in the game. It's definitely slower than simply paying the monthly fee to be sure, but it's been proven by a lot of people you can get access to almost everything (and we're talking very few exceptions) by simply playing a free game.

Age of Conan and EQ2 are examples of how to utterly fuck up a system.

The good F2P models require a lot of active users. If you only have ~500,000 users, you'll need to sell more stuff to break even which will make the game "less free". If you have millions of players (ie : LoL), you can have custom avatars for your heroes and acquire heroes faster but essentially, everyone can get everything free but with more time investment. The gameplay itself is not really affected by LoL's shop and this is why it is successful.

Considering Titan will come out eventually and WoW is clearly losing subs fast, I assume Blizzard will be making the transition to F2P on WoW in ~2-3 years with a shop model to finance it.
    a) It's unlikely players will pay monthly subscriptions for BOTH Titan and WoW. One has to be F2P to be successful.
    b) Blizzard is already testing heavily the F2P market with buyable pets (aka gold) and mounts, and eventually the D3 auction house.
    c) WoW is heavily switching its focus to more casual players.
    d) With how reknown WoW is, the F2P model would probably bring more than 50M active accounts. If only 1 in 10 players buys stuff from the shop, the profits will be huge.
    It's pretty clear to me that is what Blizzard is aiming at. LoL did it with a tiny game and it works extremely well. You get so much more exposure by being F2P that the few accounts that actually open their wallet make up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterland View Post
    The good F2P models require a lot of active users. If you only have ~500,000 users, you'll need to sell more stuff to break even which will make the game "less free". If you have millions of players (ie : LoL), you can have custom avatars for your heroes and acquire heroes faster but essentially, everyone can get everything free but with more time investment. The gameplay itself is not really affected by LoL's shop and this is why it is successful.

Considering Titan will come out eventually and WoW is clearly losing subs fast, I assume Blizzard will be making the transition to F2P on WoW in ~2-3 years with a shop model to finance it.
    a) It's unlikely players will pay monthly subscriptions for BOTH Titan and WoW. One has to be F2P to be successful.
    b) Blizzard is already testing heavily the F2P market with buyable pets (aka gold) and mounts, and eventually the D3 auction house.
    c) WoW is heavily switching its focus to more casual players.
    d) With how reknown WoW is, the F2P model would probably bring more than 50M active accounts. If only 1 in 10 players buys stuff from the shop, the profits will be huge.
    It's pretty clear to me that is what Blizzard is aiming at. LoL did it with a tiny game and it works extremely well. You get so much more exposure by being F2P that the few accounts that actually open their wallet make up for it.
    I actually expect wow to do a pay for one month in one of the games and get game time for the other game free. So if I play Titan I can still continue to play WoW on top of it. Also means that the WoW players can play the new game.

Like AION Going F2P - you can use 30% of the game's features.
    - wyrd bið ful aræd -

I know many that couldn't when they should because they didn't want when they could.

Quote Originally Posted by jotad4 View Post
    Like AION Going F2P - you can use 30% of the game's features.
    Really? Care to site a source for that? Because the only limitations the European one has now (that I can remember) are character slots. All the other content in the game is available when it launches.

Deleted
    DC Universe Is good F2P.You can do pretty much everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    The features you get to keep with Star Trek online are pretty extensive.

http://www.startrekonline.com/f2p_features

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Nice to see another beta mythos player, one of the better games ive played and didnt notice any bugs.

They got shut down because they had to use the ip as collateral for a loan, they called in the loan early and took the ip. It was a very shady deal and crappy on banditsoft (i think that was the company, not sure). The same devs are now working on torchlight2

The last Patch before closed down offered alot of Bugs. Questchains wich couldnt be finished cause stuff didnt drop. The bad thing about this was if you didnt finish a certain Quest you couldnt start the following one. Because of this you had to grind exp instead of do quests most of the time. Pets drew threat imediately - even the Buffdrones wich didnt fight at all. Skills didnt work like intended, the AH was more or less useless cause you couldnt search for specefic item. Other little bugs i cant recall now.
    But with all its flaws it was cool. I enjoyed it very much. Had a nice Guild with kind grownup People. I was very dissappointed as i heared it should get canceled. The last 7 days the devs increased Stats Mana, life and Dropchance of all Exeptional items by 100%. I even met some of the Devs ingame with their characters during this final period.

In Germany the company called Frogster wich hosts other F2P games too. (i think runes of Magic but i am not sure). Well i didnt understand what you wrote. However the Devs were quit nice, always kind and tried their best to help you (at least the german ones)

I wont play F2P Games with Itemshop anymore. I think some of those are real bandits..its a different thing if you pay 13euro a month or if you pay for stuff and realise that you payed far more for Items or Gold than a monthly 13 euro fee. This is a dangerous business there. Some German Kid even tricked or robed his family and dealed with drugs to play Metin2 on high level.
    Last edited by Uriel; 2012-01-21 at 09:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thedreadlobster View Post
    F2P MMOs
    MMOs
    Here's your problem. MMO genre is itself designed to hold a player for a long period. Most commonly with a subscription fee, but when it's an "F2P" MMO, then there are often involved simple though effective tricks. Like, bonuses to XP, PvP points, item shops and all those things that make your gaming experience much more pleasant, or even give you advantage over F2P players. It's often comes to a situation when F2P experience is incomplete rather F2P being solid basic game with real-money bonuses.
    And there are always some sort of real-money purchase available in these games.

But MMO isn't the only genre out there. There are lots of other F2P multiplayer games that don't require you to be online for long to level up, farm and grind.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

League of Legends really isn't an mmo, it's more real time strat, but basically the shop only lets you accelerate the grind. If you don't want to pay anything, you don't have to. Everything you buy either gives you a short cut from grinding games or gives you a vanity boost. One of my friends bought a pack of champions simply because he enjoyed the game and wanted to support it. I have more free time than he does since he's always forced to work overtime, so I get to have more fun playing games and earning influence that way.

From what I played of LOTRO, it was the same way. You could level multiple characters and earn enough turbine points to unlock all the content as you went. Overall, I was really impressed with the game. It wasn't an easy grind by any means, but it was definitely doable.

From what I looked at Everquest II, there were pretty hard locks on your gear that were difficult to get rid of without paying. If you had an old account, they at least grandfathered your old characters in, but I was pretty leery about playing it to be honest. It was nice again to look at my old house.

the only F2P game i've played that seems totaly free is Runes of Magic...there are items and stat stones/mod items but almost all of it can be bought for gold aswell as diamonds(their paid for currency) you can even buy the diamonds for gold if you want to risk loosing the g....even better it's quite easy to accumulate gold in the game.