Thumbs up Extend Max Camera Distance to 200% or More!

I looked around in the INI files and saw the max camera distance and decided to manually change it. The result was a doubling and even tripling of the maximum camera distance. When you have it set to maximum in the UI settings, the INI file shows that as a value of 25.

So to be clear, ini value of 25 = 100% camera distance according to the UI settings. That means changing the value to 50 inside the INI file would give you a 200% max camera distance. You can manually edit that to a much higher value and get the camera to pan way back. This is excellent for PVP since you can pretty much see the whole map. The majority of WoW players do something similar to this, and it makes for a much better gaming experience.

Make sure the game is NOT open, since the file may be in use or revert back once you close the game. This is for Windows 7 and Vista users only, since Windows XP puts it in a different place. To do this you need to find this folder:
    C:\Users\YourProfileName\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings

Obviously, YourProfileName is whatever your Windows profile name is, which is most likely your name or your pet name for your manhood. Whatever, I am not here to judge you on your Windows user name.

The AppData folder is hidden since it's a system folder, so you can either manually type that folder address into your RUN command line or change your Windows Explorer settings to show hidden folders.

Then find the file named: LoginName_Account.ini and open it.

For example, if your login name is DarthBumpkin then the file will be DarthBumpkin_Account.ini.

After opening the file look for the line that says: Controls_CameraMaxDistance = 25.0

Change that 25.0 to something else like 50.0 or even 75.0. Make sure to keep it as decimal number (ie Don't take the .0 off at the end, because I'm sure the game is looking for it. I don't want to be responsible for game clients crashing.)

Then SAVE the file and CLOSE it. Then start up the game, log in, and enjoy a much more expansive SWTOR gaming experience!

-SEG-

The camera issue to me isn't about the distance, it's about the fact that I like it zoomed OUT, and every time I go inside or against a wall (a lot as a tank) I have to zoom it back out instead of it immediately scaling out where I set the *&%^ thing.

Grrrrrr...

ill have to check this out whenIi get home. I've been meaning to check out the info in the ini files and i myself don't like how short the zoom out is. I like to be able to have a larger top down look than just enough to barely cover me and my companion.

Thanks for the info
    Huh, wha-, you want me to come closer? Oh, you don't wanna fight anymore? Oh, your hands are up there almost like you're beggin'... beggin' for a little piece of Boba... Yeah, ya like that, don't ya? You like it, 'cause you're bad... oh, yeah... you dirty, little smuggler...

Quote Originally Posted by JonniRage View Post

Make sure the game is NOT open, since the file may be in use or revert back once you close the game. This is for Windows 7 and Vista users only, since Windows XP puts it in a different place.

-SEG-
    For Windows xp users all you need to do is go to Control panel ---> Folder options ---> View ---> Show hidden files and folders, Then go to My computer ---> C drive ---> Document and Settings ---> (Your user) ---> Local Settings ---> Application Data ---> Swtor ---> Swtor ---> Settings ---> (Your account name)_ Account and change it in there.

Cheers

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for this.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

You can also type in the address bar %localappdata% and even if the folder is hidden, it'll take you to that, so you don't need to mess around to show hidden files or anything like that.

There is a camera control option that allows you to zoom out your camera more. The default is set to 25% distance. It's been in there since at least 1.1.5, so for the recent posters there really isn't a need for any of the file modding anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koalachan View Post
    There is a camera control option that allows you to zoom out your camera more. The default is set to 25% distance. It's been in there since at least 1.1.5, so for the recent posters there really isn't a need for any of the file modding anymore.
    I see you changed your avatar!

Also, this right here. Unless you want it to be at 200%, I don't see the need for this. There is a Camera Distance modifier in the Controls section which can be set extremely high. At its in-game max, my character looks like an ant.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post

Also, this right here. Unless you want it to be at 200%, I don't see the need for this. There is a Camera Distance modifier in the Controls section which can be set extremely high. At its in-game max, my character looks like an ant.
    This is actually what it should of been, but it randomly changed on me. My own fault for linking to a URL instead of just downloading and uploading

See I have been having the opposite problem lately. Sometimes when I am out in the world my camera will randomly and for no apparent reason zoom out WAY far. It goes so far that my character and everything else looks like a bunch of ants. It's easily fixed by zooming in and then out again, it's just weird though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    See I have been having the opposite problem lately. Sometimes when I am out in the world my camera will randomly and for no apparent reason zoom out WAY far. It goes so far that my character and everything else looks like a bunch of ants. It's easily fixed by zooming in and then out again, it's just weird though.
    Mine does this every time I get off a taxi, zooms all the way out as far as possible. I've put in numerous tickets about it when this patch was on the PTS. (and each patch beforehand)

I wish my issue was that predictable... I haven't reported it yet because I haven't been able to figure out anything in common when it happens = /

10+ Year Old Account
    I've only had it bugging when getting off of a taxi as well :3

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post

Yeah, there isn't a huge need to go past the maximum you can set in game, perhaps a little further, but much more than that and it goes beyond really being useful in every day playing, and only really potentially useful for machinima.