Deleted

Rift on a laptop

Hello folks!
    Because of the free weekend and the fact that I recently bought a new laptop, I figured I might try Rift again. The specs of my laptop are as follows:

i5-2430M 2.4 GHz(goes as high as 2.9 GHz with Intel TurboBoost)
    Geforce GT540M 2Gb DDR3
    8GB DDR3 RAM

"Can you run it?" says it's above the recommended specs. I'm getting about 30-40 FPS with medium settings(edge smoothing, shadows off, multipass terrain on). That doesn't bother me, because, to me, if a game is ~30FPS, it's playable. The problem is my GPU goes to as high as 95 degrees when playing it.
    Now my questions are:
    Is that normal for a laptop to act like with Rift?
    Anyone else playing on a similar spec? If so, could you please tell me what performance you're getting and if your GPU heats up as mine does?
    Thanks in advance!

That is rather high for a GPU. Are you sure it's the GPU and not the CPU? RIFT is a demanding game but any demanding game will cause your GPU to get hot if you push the settings high enough. My GTX 560M goes to about 65 degrees C when playing RIFT, but the laptop has a dedicated fan and heatsink so that is why it's not as hot as yours.

You could always get one of those cooling stands for laptops, I have been looking at the Cooler Master LapAir for the laptop I bought earlier this week.

Deleted
    Yes, I'm sure it's the GPU since I've been monitoring it with Nvidia Inspector. Also, I've been looking into getting a cooling pad, but I'm not sure about how efficient they are.

There are quite a few reviews floating about for laptop coolers, just google reviews for each model. I've seen claims that it only makes a few degrees difference right upto a 20 degree drop. Generally I think it shaves 5-10 degrees off the temperatures, depends on the cooler and your vents on your laptop.

The one I linked I like simply because it's quiet and has rear facing intakes and the underside is cushioned, so that it can sit on my lap while I sit on a sofa or lay in bed, it's not the best cooling one.

Deleted
    I've seen one of those Cooler Master coolers at a store in my country and I thinking I'm going to buy it tomorrow, since it has some good reviews. By the way, it's not only Rift that heats it up-I usually get to 80 degrees in games. Thing is, Rift is the highest I've seen so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use a CM pad for my old laptop, and would recommend one. I can't speak to actual temperatures since I only recently started using temp monitors, but mine went from so hot you didnt really want to rest your hand above the hard drive to just warm to the touch, I was impressed.

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/prod...Pal%20Infinite

If you insist on gaming on a laptop it's crazy not to spend an extra $20-40 on a cooling pad. Even if it only drops temps by a couple degrees it would be worth it, imho

Edit: to add that I actually checked the specs of my cpu & gpu on the manufacturers websites, and they both said that 95C was near the high end of their designed operating temps.
    Last edited by Zych; 2012-01-22 at 03:52 PM.

I tired of waiting for my Alienware m14x which i bought this Friday. Estimated Delivery time is 30th monday :C I cant wait to play some games after being stuck with my dell inspiron 1420 shit laptop lol

Deleted
    Good to know that they're doing a good job keeping it cool. And I don't care about the noise, so long as I don't fry my laptop. I just ordered this one and it's going to arrive tomorrow, really looking forward to it: http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/prod...roduct_id=2940

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I think the problem with laptops is, even if you get one with an excellent heat sink & fan, that just removes the heat from the processor - and then it mostly remains trapped in the case, heating up all your other components.

The only complaint I would have about my cooler is the usb cord is about an inch shorter than I'd like, so I had to switch stuff around since my laptop has usb ports in weird places. It is very cool that the pad comes with ports though, so you actually gain ports by using it instead of losing one.

The one you ordered looks fine, although I think mine would be better - like I said, it's got the extra ports, it's enclosed (which is just a preference I guess), and this is just a feeling but I feel like 1 big fan is better than 2 smaller ones, though I have zero evidence to back that up

This is a picture of the back of my new laptop, it has seperate CPU and GPU heatsink, fans and exhausts. I made sure of this before I bought it as I had no desire to have my laptop melt when I played Skyrim/BF3/RIFT on it. And they all play really well btw

I've just forked out £15 for that Notepal U2 laptop cooler, I think it will sit nicely on my desk and hopefully keep it a bit cooler, plus it wraps nicely around the laptop for transport/protection. At the moment my laptop caps around 60 degrees on the GPU and the fans are starting to get a bit too loud. At 55 however, the fans reduce and it's much much quieter. Hoping that this cooler will keep the temps below 55

Deleted
    Alright, I just got the cooling pad now, thing is the speed of the fans seems pretty low. Anyone knows how I can change that?