Thread: Traveling

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Traveling

I have two questions that involve travel that i havent seen answered in the mass info thread or videos or anywhere else. First, i know there is know flying and am all for it, i also know you can fast travel places but wont get credit for exploring. I love to explore but seeing how massive the world is running on foot will take literally an eternity, so my first question is are there going to be ground mounts? Second, I have seen an example of a section of the WvWvW map and again is massive, second question is simple. Will you be able to use fast travel in the WvWvW map?

You can only fast travel if you have discovered the waypoint. How do you discover the waypoint? By exploring.

About the WvWvW stuff, we really don't know yet. There is a pvp interview coming out on Monday I believe, hopefully we get some more information about The Mists then.

Nop no mounts.
    Be patience I am dyslexic..

No idea if there will be fast travel in WvW... I would hope so though considering how big the maps are. >.<

There are no mounts. The devs have said that they've tried to tune the speed to a point where you dont feel slow and in need of a mount when your just out exploring. IF you need to get somewhere you've been in a hurry there's always the fast travle system. I think I recall them saying you move a bit faster with your weapons sheathed, aka out of combat, but I cant recall where anymore.

Who is John Galt?

10+ Year Old Account
    This is what happened to the last mount thread.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ts-eventually?
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

This game is all about exploring. There is no need for ground mounts because their are so many waypoints you can warp to that will be close to the area your trying to return to.

Now lets say you enter a new region and the map is fully fogged and you havent discovered any waypoints. Well that just means u need to go explore. If you dont like exploring then your going to miss alot in this game. Getting on a mount and running past things just makes u experience even less. I know that im going to check every nook and cranny for caves, tunnels, underwater pathways just to make sure i dont miss out on the good stuff =)

I'm kinda sad about no mounts. Mounts were one of the cosmetic things I loved to achieve in WoW.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

I'm kinda confused. Is the fast travel system anything like the one in Skyrim for example?

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    I'm kinda sad about no mounts. Mounts were one of the cosmetic things I loved to achieve in WoW.
    Rare gear skins and minipets achieve the same purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    I'm kinda confused. Is the fast travel system anything like the one in Skyrim for example?
    Yes, you have to discover a waypoint before you can use it, each time you use it you will pay a small fee. Waypoints to and inside of cities will be free though.

Quote Originally Posted by omlech View Post
    Yes, you have to discover a waypoint before you can use it, each time you use it you will pay a small fee. Waypoints to and inside of cities will be free though.
    How does this work when Im out in the world though? Do I have to get to a waygate of sorts or can I teleport from anywhere for a fee?

How does this work when Im out in the world though? Do I have to get to a waygate of sorts or can I teleport from anywhere for a fee?
    Once you discover it for the first time you can instant travel there from anywhere I believe from then on.

You just pull up the map, click the waypoint, click okay to confirm and you're off.

Quote Originally Posted by omlech View Post
    You just pull up the map, click the waypoint, click okay to confirm and you're off.
    You don't have to be a certain range to it? You can go from one side of the world to another, as long asyou have the proper waypoint?
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

You don't have to be a certain range to it? You can go from one side of the world to another, as long asyou have the proper waypoint?
    Wouldn't having a range just result in more loading screens? Port here to here, then from there port to there, then from there to my objective. Lul.
    They said they want to get rid of a lot of the MMO time sink. Like flight points in WoW. No real reason for them to take 5mins to fly from point A to point B besides to take up as much of your time as possible. It's hard to even argue that it's for immersion, because I'm pretty sure that alt tabbing (like most do during flight points or auto-run flying to a place) breaks immersion more than playing your game, instantly porting, then playing your game more.

Deleted
    Fast traveling from one side of the world to another will result in a higher fee though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider View Post
    Fast traveling from one side of the world to another will result in a higher fee though.
    Yeah, forgot to mention that.

I don't even know why anyone would want mounts in this game. Have you seen the awe-inspiring landscape design and scale? Plus, who knows when you might run into a totally random/awesome dynamic event you would have otherwise skipped if you had a mount?

10+ Year Old Account
    Essentially, as explained in the Edge of Destiny book, all characters will automatically have a magic ring that allows them to travel wherever there's an available way point/ asura gate. Can be used to go anywhere you've already been, but each time you use it costs a certain amount of gold determined by the distance being traveled.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Thank god, no mounts. I'm looking forward to navigating the world without skipping everything.