Thread: Traveling

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    The waypoint system works exactly the same way as the Fast Travel system in the elder scrolls/fallout games, once you find a point of interest or a town, you will be able to fast travel to it from anywhere in the world. In GW2, once you find a waypoint, you will be able to instantly travel to it from anywhere as well, but with a small taxi service fee like Gryphon masters have in WoW, the distance traveled will affect the price
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Quote Originally Posted by nysha View Post
    No idea if there will be fast travel in WvW... I would hope so though considering how big the maps are. >.<
    I suppose if you are attacking another server's base then capturing a waypoint on their map so you can reinforce would be kind of cool. But only if you had to capture the waypoint first. If you just have open fast travel between all the areas then it becomes way too easy to reinforce or back track and defend even after you have committed to an attack.

Also once you've captured a waypoint they cannot fast travel there, meaning if someone captures the closest way point to your base while you are attacking another base, you have no fast way to come back and defend. You may have to travel to a waypoint further from your base and hope you make it there in time. So defending waypoints would be critical to attack and defense.

There should not be waypoints inside your main base or, once again, committing to an attack has no consequences as you could just fast travel straight back into your base to defend if necessary. I think a full on attack should be considered an "all-in" and make it very difficult to defend your own base.

I like to think of the waypoints as WoW's flight master system, except without the flying. On the topic of mounts, in an official statement, ANet said there would be no mounts on initial release.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tibben View Post
    I suppose if you are attacking another server's base then capturing a waypoint on their map so you can reinforce would be kind of cool. But only if you had to capture the waypoint first. If you just have open fast travel between all the areas then it becomes way too easy to reinforce or back track and defend even after you have committed to an attack.

Also once you've captured a waypoint they cannot fast travel there, meaning if someone captures the closest way point to your base while you are attacking another base, you have no fast way to come back and defend. You may have to travel to a waypoint further from your base and hope you make it there in time. So defending waypoints would be critical to attack and defense.

There should not be waypoints inside your main base or, once again, committing to an attack has no consequences as you could just fast travel straight back into your base to defend if necessary. I think a full on attack should be considered an "all-in" and make it very difficult to defend your own base.
    Well, considering the scale of which the amount of players will be playing at any given point and time, i would say you would be hard pressed to find a base undermanned in case of an attack on their base, simply because of the shear amount of people that will guarding the base and another half on the offensive

---------- Post added 2012-01-21 at 09:10 PM ----------

on another note, I am really panicking on what I want to do first in the game, I just know the first few weeks will have some of the best PVP in the history of an MMO simply because of the shear amount of people who are brand new and have no idea how to play their class yet ><
    Last edited by Lothaeryn; 2012-01-21 at 09:09 PM.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol