Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    It's copy-pasted in the OP.
    Wow I fail. I read that but didn't think it was the whole article, I totally missed it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    The parents don't disapprove of the skull because it's a masculine item, they disapprove because they don't like the thought of their child running around with the symbol of death engraved on his shirt.

It's kinda ridiculous to imply that because the parents don't want their child to have skulls on their clothes that they're biased towards women, plenty of women clothes also have skulls on them. Skulls are not a gender exclusive theme.
    Most young people who run around with skulls adorned on their clothing do so because "it's cool" not because of what it represents. O_o

If a kid decides he wants to look that way, where's the harm? Frankly, people are so focused on that it's a "skull" and ignoring their reasons for it.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-01-23 at 02:53 AM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

we rely on our parents for guidance because we are very impressionable and inquisitive and at that age we don't no right from wrong.
    I mean why didn't they put crack and car keys in his draws and see what happens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubehead View Post
    we rely on our parents for guidance because we are very impressionable and inquisitive and at that age we don't no right from wrong.
    I mean why didn't they put crack and car keys in his draws and see what happens.
    Funny story about that. When I was five my father took one of his handguns, unloaded it and made it inoperable (took the firing pin out). He then placed it in my toy box and was in the room watching me play. When I started getting into the box and taking toys out I found it, didn't touch it, and immediately went to tell him. I guess the point is if the parents are doing their job it doesn't matter what they put in front of the child.

Fact: 99.99999% of toys aimed at children 3 and under are 100% gender neutral.
    Fact: A child aged 3 or over is perfectly capable of expressing their individual interests in toys and clothing.
    Fact: Because of the two preceding facts there is literally no logical or intelligent reason to conceal a childs' gender from them, other than putting some new age bullshit that they are trying to prove over and above their responsibilities as a parent.

EDIT:

Also by concealing the childs gender from them you are robbing them of a part of their individual identity, because all they can say is.

"I like the colour pink." instead of "I'm a boy who likes the colour pink."

It's the shallow details that prompt questions and stimulate the learning process. Some people might say "Don't judge a book by its cover" but if you took the cover off of every book you wouldn't have any clue where to begin.
    Last edited by Gheld; 2012-01-23 at 04:18 AM.

Pink used to be a boy's color... and blue was for girls.
    These days, it's pink for girls, and blue for boys. Yellow for neutral. And "these days" being roughly the last 60-70 years or so.

Source:
    Orenstein, Peggy. "What's Wrong With Cinderella?", The New York Times Magazine, December 24, 2006, retrieved December 10, 2007. Orenstein writes: "When colors were first introduced to the nursery in the early part of the 20th century, pink was considered the more masculine hue, a pastel version of red. Blue, with its intimations of the Virgin Mary, constancy and faithfulness, was thought to be dainty. Why or when that switched is not clear, but as late as the 1930s a significant percentage of adults in one national survey held to that split."

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    People who are against this don't understand the issue at stake here. Admittedly, that's literally probably 95%+ of the population of the world.

If you're curious, look into:
    Gender roles
    Statistics involving gender disparties
    The REAL biological differences between men and women (hint: the differences are 100x smaller than you think. You can literally block female hormones at age 10 and give a female male hormones and they will become almost completely male in every noticeable way)

Gender concealment is not the long-term answer, but I applaud them for trying anyway.

Edit: I would not use gender concealment because it would probably make for a bigger target when bullying, but it's not 100% for sure. I don't know how it would really be possible for me to be bullied MORE than I was in school, for example, without it coming to violence.
    What the hell is wrong with gender roles? Just because a small percentage of people eschew gender roles and go their own way doesn't mean we need to do away with them.

They are fucking this kid up. Guaranteed. Why is a 5 year old boy is wearing girls blouses to school? They are setting this kid up to be a murderer. His first two targets will probably be his parents, and I wouldn't blame him at all.

---------- Post added 2012-01-31 at 10:03 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by grandpapeckinpah View Post
    Gender is a product of CULTURE not BIOLOGY. I don't have a problem with parents doing this at all. What different cultures expect of genders and how people identify themselves has nothing to do with if a person's biological sex is "male" or "female". Just because in the west we have 2 genders doesn't mean that all human cultures and existence follow the same model. Some cultures in Asia have up to 5 genders.

It's all relative, and in the context of human existence, parents raising a child this way is meaningless. So who cares?
    In the context of human existence, murder is meaningless. Rape is meaningless. Genocide is meaningless. So who cares?

Also, citation needed for multiple cultures in Asia with 5 genders. Go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Finland, the night is dark and full of terrors.
    I hate how they think genders as stereotypes..

Bloodsail Admiral Melanieshaman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chemicader View Post
    I hate how they think genders as stereotypes..
    absolutely! I agree

What about... those stereotype role that we enforce in our society are just social construct... made of thin air? Why those stereotype set in stone for all those thousand of years? Why they werent the same in time and space?

Maybe because its not set in stone, and that we can let those kids grow up with good values and self esteem without enforcing the stereotype a said culture in said times think is the best for someone that is born with a penis or a vagina?

Gender is far more complicate and diverse than male and female, that people often confuse with the sex of someone(body) and also try to mix sexual orientation(its completely independent of the body or gender) in it...
    Gender reside in the brain, thus we have no idea of where someone stand in the gender spectrum until they find the place they see fit and told us.

If there were less bigots(apply to men to women) trying to tell you that you are not living your identity the way they live theirs, earth would be a better and more peaceful place.
    Stop assigning roles to people that you dont know and dont know themself yet, thats what those parents are trying to do.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    2 month old necro ftw

15+ Year Old Account
    it doesn't sound like their allowing him to be him but rather forcing ambiguity on him.
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

Give Guidance.

Give Support.

Give Love.

Let the child gravitate towards what he or she finds fascinating.

Being Ambiguous about what sex the child is will lead to more confusion later. Do not force a role but offer encouragement to the way the child approaches the world.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The PC folk are far more annoying that those who take stereotypes as 100% fact.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    That's ridiculous. Skelington supports not forcing gender roles, but that's taking it a bit far. It will more than likely screw up the child's development than make him what they want him to be.

And how are skull shirts hyper-masculine?
    I agree with Skelington. Let the child get exactly what the child wants (within not spoiling them silly reasoning) and identify with what they want.

However, the trend with setting the kids in their specific mindsets is starting earlier and earlier. Gender roles are bs in my honst opinion, we have less to no need for them now.

As for the 'gender is stereotype' it's not. But being a specific gender these days force certain stereotypes upon you. And that shit needs to go die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Closing this over 2 month old thread, please don't necro old threads people.