Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    I am Murloc! Mif's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tarnished Coast
    Posts
    5,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    right, in GW2 you won't be able to fight against other players outside PvP-modes. I wonder how they handle hostile/befriended Skritt if one of the players in a party has an alliance with them and the other don't.
    The better question is why would you befriend a dirty Skritt in the first place?

    All Skritt must die!

  2. #22
    Warchief Maarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Austria (EU)
    Posts
    2,053
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    The better question is why would you befriend a dirty Skritt in the first place?

    All Skritt must die!
    I'm sure Asura only "befriend" races which can be "exploited".

    Mif: "See this boulder? Carry him to my home and I'm your friend, little Jotun"

  3. #23
    Herald of the Titans Ynna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    Some of the best examples of faction balance NOT working would be WoW, but even more so Aion and SWTOR. The imbalance in crazy out of whack. That and they are trying to have OWPVP. With that much of an imbalance, some servers are easily 5:1, it makes it pretty much impossible. I am so glad they are doing pvp the way they are in GW2 and leaving factions out of it. Also helps for PvE camaraderie.
    While I like the idea of everyone in the game being on the same team in GW2, I have a general question. Has any MMO ever tried using 3 or more factions?
    Retired Holy Priest
    As a rule, I try to act on the internet as I would in real life. If I have offended you, feel free to point it out. Unless I meant to offend you, I will probably apologize.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    The better question is why would you befriend a dirty Skritt in the first place?

    All Skritt must die!
    but Skritt are so cute...cuter that asura anyway =p

    Didnt know you could befriend other races ingame. I know there is the frog guys but im sure everyone is always friendly with them. How will the game deal with ppl that are playing together but one is friendly to a race and the other is hostile?

  5. #25
    I am Murloc! Mif's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tarnished Coast
    Posts
    5,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    I'm sure Asura only "befriend" races which can be "exploited".
    But Skritt killing is serious business. The more Skritt you have together the smarter they get, so if we don't thin out their numbers they'll grow super intelligent and take over all of Tyria!

  6. #26
    factions have not really brought anything good in my eyes.

    I actually think Factions have just made people angry at each other.

    Even though it is just a joke, saying one faction is better than the other is kinda "not right" to me.

    Horde vs Alliance does have it's charm, but it also has it's "game racism".

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    While I like the idea of everyone in the game being on the same team in GW2, I have a general question. Has any MMO ever tried using 3 or more factions?
    Dark Age of Camelot. I know the Secret World is going to have 3 factions as well.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    But Skritt killing is serious business. The more Skritt you have together the smarter they get, so if we don't thin out their numbers they'll grow super intelligent and take over all of Tyria!
    They don't have to KNOW you're thinning them out. I'm sure you Asura can think of a way.
    'Befriend' another race (go with Grawl. Grawl are slow), don't let them know you've 'befriended' the Skritt, convince them to go to war. (Hey Grawl, I hear the Skritt were making fun of.. what do you losers worship again?)
    PROBREM SOLVED!

  9. #29
    Herald of the Titans Ynna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,736
    Quote Originally Posted by BlairPhoenix View Post
    Dark Age of Camelot. I know the Secret World is going to have 3 factions as well.
    Follow-up question: How did it work out?
    Retired Holy Priest
    As a rule, I try to act on the internet as I would in real life. If I have offended you, feel free to point it out. Unless I meant to offend you, I will probably apologize.

  10. #30
    Herald of the Titans Eorayn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,957
    No. No factions.

  11. #31
    The only thing that I find lacking in GW2 atm is lack of world pvp as in "you always gotta watch your back" feeling.
    I really loved it back in vanilla (and bit of tbc, and wotlk - daily/farm hubs where people NEEDED to farm), sadly in cata world pvp doesnt exist at all (except 1st week of its launch where I had some fun ganking and being ganked while leveling), in wotlk it ended with end of sons of hodir farmage (ezmode rep boost anyone?).
    However I hope Ill be happy with WvWvW, or some new "castle sieges" (this could be really fun objective based gametype - like Rush in BF3) or whatever they will have/might add.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapti View Post
    The only thing that I find lacking in GW2 atm is lack of world pvp as in "you always gotta watch your back" feeling.
    I really loved it back in vanilla (and bit of tbc, and wotlk - daily/farm hubs where people NEEDED to farm), sadly in cata world pvp doesnt exist at all (except 1st week of its launch where I had some fun ganking and being ganked while leveling), in wotlk it ended with end of sons of hodir farmage (ezmode rep boost anyone?).
    However I hope Ill be happy with WvWvW, or some new "castle sieges" (this could be really fun objective based gametype - like Rush in BF3) or whatever they will have/might add.
    I've never much liked world PvP, and have trouble calling it PvP. Yes, it's a player VS a player, but a fair 1v1 out in the middle of nowhere is rare. Quest alone? Get gangbanged. Quest in a group? Gangbang them. Quest alone, see someone alone? Probably higher level, get some. Lower level? Give some. Then adding gear into the equation (I know GW2 won't have gear differences, or level differences due to scaling down/up, I'm just talking about world PvP in general), most people won't touch someone they see out in the open world unless they have some kind of advantage. Be it a gear advantage, health advantage due to the other person being preoccupied with mobs, level advantage.. I've just never understood the appeal of world PvP besides griefing.

  13. #33
    The Lightbringer Lothaeryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maryland, U.S.
    Posts
    3,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    I've never much liked world PvP, and have trouble calling it PvP. Yes, it's a player VS a player, but a fair 1v1 out in the middle of nowhere is rare. Quest alone? Get gangbanged. Quest in a group? Gangbang them. Quest alone, see someone alone? Probably higher level, get some. Lower level? Give some. Then adding gear into the equation (I know GW2 won't have gear differences, or level differences due to scaling down/up, I'm just talking about world PvP in general), most people won't touch someone they see out in the open world unless they have some kind of advantage. Be it a gear advantage, health advantage due to the other person being preoccupied with mobs, level advantage.. I've just never understood the appeal of world PvP besides griefing.
    Agreed, while I always found it fun to have a skirmish in the middle of nowhere with friends and the like, I would be damned if i didn't fucking cuss a storm if someone camped me while I was questing.

    It just promotes harassment and sadistic personalities IMO.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol
    .

  14. #34
    Well for that matter alone you have PvP and PvE realms...

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapti View Post
    Well for that matter alone you have PvP and PvE realms...
    Seeing someone you're at war with out in the middle of nowhere and just nodding and going your separate directions is just as annoying to me.
    Plus, what would be the point of having seperate factions in the first place on a PvE realm besides just splitting the playerbase?

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    Seeing someone you're at war with out in the middle of nowhere and just nodding and going your separate directions is just as annoying to me.
    Plus, what would be the point of having seperate factions in the first place on a PvE realm besides just splitting the playerbase?
    Dunno, its more WoW related statement and aim at that "dont want to risk being ganked" thing.
    You dont like World PvP, fine. I do and I feel bit upset that one of such aspects of PvP wont be in GW2 (which I can live without, since atm in WoW its dead anyway - World of Queuecraft).

  17. #37
    I am Murloc! Wrathonia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Port Charlotte
    Posts
    5,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapti View Post
    Dunno, its more WoW related statement and aim at that "dont want to risk being ganked" thing.
    You dont like World PvP, fine. I do and I feel bit upset that one of such aspects of PvP wont be in GW2 (which I can live without, since atm in WoW its dead anyway - World of Queuecraft).
    It will be, just go to the Mists, it is made with you in mind. They are just keeping PvP and PvE completely separate, as they should.

  18. #38
    Is it gonna be some sort of FFA? Or team based?

  19. #39
    Herald of the Titans Ynna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapti View Post
    Is it gonna be some sort of FFA? Or team based?
    In the regular, PVE, world, every player you see is an ally.
    In WvWvW everyone of your server is on your side. There's been mention of two smaller servers ganging up on a bigger one, but I don't know if there are actual mechanics in place for that or it's something that can just happen.

    There isn't any kind of Free For All Deadmatch.
    Retired Holy Priest
    As a rule, I try to act on the internet as I would in real life. If I have offended you, feel free to point it out. Unless I meant to offend you, I will probably apologize.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapti View Post
    Is it gonna be some sort of FFA? Or team based?
    WvWvW is three servers matched up against each other across 4 maps. Each battle lasts from 1-2 weeks(don't recall what the last number they gave) and is mostly based around capturing specific points, though there are supposed to quite a few different objectives besides that. You can both level and attain gear in WvWvW also.

    Essentially it will be team based to an extent that you have other people from on your server that will be on your 'side' but due to the size of the maps, amount and size of different objectives, and the amount of people WvWvW can hold(hundreds of people), I'm sure it will give the feeling of FFA at times.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •