Thread: Rift popular?

Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Deleted

Rift popular?

Hi,

So like most people i'm a long term wow player played since vanilla, but extremely tired of it now.

What i'd like to know is, is rift still popular?

I dont hear many talking about it anymore and i dont know if there are busy/full servers or what amount of players play it i.e wow had 11million subs pre cata what figure does rift have?

I enjoy pvp and pve but pvp slightly more, do they put much focus into pvp or is it more pve orientated like some non rift forums suggest.

Any help appreciated before i purchase it

Deleted
    Rift is very popular, you dont hear many talking about it because in the other parts of the forum there tends to be this consensus that anything with less than 10 million subs is dead or not worth talking about. The population can be deceptive at first because it's designed very much around end game so there's not a ton of people levelling alts, also the fact that people dont just sit in cities so much on Rift at max level, there's a lot of reasons to get out and do things so the population might at first glance look worse off than it actually is.

I'd say it's more pve orientated but they add pvp content and make changes to balance a hell of a lot more than WoW does.

Just try it out and see!

To add to what Pilkie said, check out some of the 1.7 patch note threads in this forum and you'll notice that Trion definately put a lot of work into improving PVP for new and old players alike, our next patch, patch 1.7 focusses a lot on improving the PVP experience. And as Pilkie said, the Rift servers have quite high population caps so even if the servers show as low/medium pop there is still a lot of people on them and most people don't stand in the main cities doing nothing.

Il played it today again because il Read the Posts here, and i was 2 Hours in the LFD Tool and it doesnt opened..

Quote Originally Posted by Nokami View Post
    Il played it today again because il Read the Posts here, and i was 2 Hours in the LFD Tool and it doesnt opened..
    Roll? Level? Server? The LFD tool is very slow when you level up as doing dungeons isn't the fastest way to level and unfortunately for DPS it is the worst. However I NEVER have problems getting into a dungeon at level 50 on either one of my characters. I have dps/heal/support/tank on one char at everything but tank on the other playing a Cleric and a Mage. Even when I want to DPS I just join a run with guildies. Trion has made it so that there are incentives and reasons for level 50 characters in good gear to do dungeon runs.

10+ Year Old Account
    A few things you need to take into account. What level are you? Are you playing at a somewhat peak time for your Shard?

Level 1-50 doesn't have a ton of LFD's going on people can burn through the leveling process so fast that few people do the LFD while leveling. I recall in WoW while in Northrend waiting for ever for Que's to pop it's no different here. LFD at max level becomes the same as LFD wait times in WoW too.

Deleted
    Guess that was below level 50.
    The queue below lvl 50 can be long depending on which shard/group you play on.
    Most people are playing their lvl 50 chars, there aren't many alts around.

I played it during beta and release but left since I didn't want to be paying out the money. I didn't play it enough to pay for it although I wanted to. It's doubtless better than it was when I left and definitely worth a look ;> I'm sure you can get a trial for it or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowbane View Post
    I played it during beta and release but left since I didn't want to be paying out the money. I didn't play it enough to pay for it although I wanted to. It's doubtless better than it was when I left and definitely worth a look ;> I'm sure you can get a trial for it or something.
    Actually there's a free weekend thing right now I believe.
    Also there's trial accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Farahawnee View Post
    Not having an authenticator on your account is like not locking your windows because your front door is locked, and then wondering how a burglar got in.

In my opinion and that of my 5 guildies who all went to rift the first month it sucks. If you're bored with wow don't pay for rift because its the same game but not as fun.
    Last edited by Azuri; 2012-04-01 at 04:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daftone View Post
    In my opinion and that of my 5 guildies who all went to rift the first month it sucks. If you're bored with wow don't pay for rift because its the same game but not as fun.
    See, not all companies are Blizzard. That means that in 11 months, things can actually change with Trion in charge of things. Do some research or avoid this forum, please.

I get rather quick LFD pops as a Defiant in low levels. @50 I have never waited more than 20 mins for a pop regardless of role.

Rift is an endgame focused game with few "alts" and very rapid leveling. The goal is to get players to 50 asap and not ask them to do it more than 4 times. Consider it takes less than 5 days to reach 50 and one only has to do so 4 times at most. Also, if Guardians are the least played so yea, there will also be less of them should you play the underdog faction.

Quote Originally Posted by mavfin View Post
    You know, people complain about over-the-top Rift bashing in the Rift forum, then you turn around and do the same to WoW? I know what you were replying to is stupid, but you don't help yourself any doing crap like this. Do some research or post your WoW-bashing in the WoW forum, please.
    How is it bashing? Blizzard has a reputation for slow updates since WotLK, six month waits or more for raids which have minimal bosses. It's a statement of fact. If I leave RIFT for six months, so much has changed and been added over three or four patches. If I leave WoW for six months, there's a chance that no patch has even been released.

Keep your clever comments to yourself, this is a forum for discussion of RIFT not a place people who haven't played ever/in months to come and give us their rather dubious opinions.

There have definitely been changes in the last six months in WoW, so take your sanctimonious we-can-bash-WoW-here but don't-you-dare-bash-my-game crap and stick it. And you wonder why people don't want to try Rift, with this kind of closed-mindedness around.
    Remember ICC. Rift has the runs when it comes to content updates.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mod Warning:

Chill on the mud slinging guys or I'll get my dad to come beat up your dad.....Lets not lower the maturity levels of discussions, thanks.

There have definitely been changes in the last six months in WoW, so take your sanctimonious we-can-bash-WoW-here but don't-you-dare-bash-my-game crap and stick it. And you wonder why people don't want to try Rift, with this kind of closed-mindedness around.
    Let's see which game has the shortest time between major patches, I'll let you go back as far as WotLK. Or we can take an average. Either way, RIFT changes a LOT faster than WoW and saying so is a factual statement, not bashing WoW.

If people like you and the other poster above didn't enter this forum we wouldn't 'bash' WoW anywhere near as much, we'd be quite happy discussing RIFT among ourselves and offering advice to anyone who has a genuine interest in the game.

Rift is awesome! I've played it but stopped because my friends left me there alone and the lack of people playing the game. I don't know how it looks now but it was
    reall awesome when I played it! You should try it
    Spotify - Hardstyle | Hardcore

You know, people complain about over-the-top Rift bashing in the Rift forum, then you turn around and do the same to WoW? I know what you were replying to is stupid, but you don't help yourself any doing crap like this. Do some research or post your WoW-bashing in the WoW forum, please.
    You'll notice that in any well constructed, critical post of Trion or Rift, I post nothing derogatory, inflammatory or inconsiderate of another player's opinion. I try to provide as much evidence to support or refute a claim as was invested in the OP. The response you quoted got my point across while also minimizing the value of that person's fairly weak and flame-bait worthy opinion.

My research is up to snuff. I quit WoW 3 months ago after playing it on and off since 2005. I follow raid progress, content updates and class changes. There is simply no comparing the two companies in terms of percentage of reinvestment. Of course Blizzard implemented new content in the last 6 months. It was one of their 3 content patches for the entirety of the expansion. Imagine 7 such patches. That's what Trion is doing. 7 mega patches since Cata was released. The Rift people saw in Beta is NOT the same game as it is now. It was polished before. It's a frickin' mirror now.

Edit: Apologies, missed Azuri's post
    Last edited by Acquiesce of Telara; 2012-01-21 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    Pretty much the same deal here. Most of my buddies were willing to try SWTOR though, so that's currently the MMO I'm juggling alongside WoW. There are definitely times though where I just want to drop both and devote all of my time to Rift, as it has so much to do and is so much fun. But...friends > gameplay for me. XD I tried to get them to try it, the few who did didn't go past level 20 and complained about the animations being sloppy (something I do agree with them on). One of my RL friends still devotedly plays Rift and I am so jelly when I watch him play. :O
    Feel you bro! Well its after level 20 all the fun happends! I really enjoyed those world events, in different zones, when it was a huge invasion and you should stop the
    rift forces etc etc. Really fun, sat all night long with a friend doing rifts! Awesome gameplay, but as you said. Friends > Gameplay :P The most games are boring when you don't play with friends!
    Spotify - Hardstyle | Hardcore

I entered this forum because I'm trying Rift again at this very moment, but, I guess since I like WoW still, I'm not welcome. God forbid people should want options. I *do* have a genuine interest in the game, or I wouldn't try it again at all. So, I have just as much business here as you.
    There's nothing wrong with liking WoW and you're quite welcome here, I posted because you're leaping down peoples throats at imagined insults. There's no need for it, just report people and move on.