Thread: Rift popular?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aronaz View Post
    Feel you bro! Well its after level 20 all the fun happends! I really enjoyed those world events, in different zones, when it was a huge invasion and you should stop the
    rift forces etc etc. Really fun, sat all night long with a friend doing rifts! Awesome gameplay, but as you said. Friends > Gameplay :P The most games are boring when you don't play with friends!
    Similar situation to me....My guildies are my friends I don't have a ton RL friends that play games (MMO's) When my wow guild died which was around since launch I had a few options, find a new guild on my server or pay for a server transfer and to be honest none of them seem to be an option I wanted. I took a chance and joined a guild and Rift....Boom, new friends in a new exciting game and all is good. The End.
    Last edited by Azuri; 2012-01-21 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    Similar situation to me....My guildies are my friends I don't have a ton RL friends that play games (MMO's) When my wow guild died which was around since launch I had a few options, find a new guild on my server or pay for a server transfer and to be honest none of them seem to be an option I wanted. I took a chance and joined a guild and Rift....Boom, new friends in new exciting game and all is good. The End.
    Yeah, but i wasn't a hardcore player when I played rift. I was more the casual guy doing dailies and completing rifts and such things. Didn't really joined a guild and raided and such things. I understand what you're saying about your guild was your "friends". Totally understand you, it becomes boring when those things happends.
    But ofcourse, we all can make new friends!
    Spotify - Hardstyle | Hardcore

Deleted
    I really want to like Rift but it feels way too bloated with like 20 spells already at level 15.

Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    I really want to like Rift but it feels way too bloated with like 20 spells already at level 15.
    Well that is all changing in a couple weeks time, you'll be able to select from some pre-made builds, which will advise you on the spells to use and talents to invest in.

I would also recommend you stick to the spells from the tree you invest in most, only using the abilities from other trees you feel are useful. That would seem to be the common sense approach.

It helps to think of these as the same spell but cosmetically different based on your soul preferance. Often times this is the case. It may be an identical spell except fire instead of water, or what have you. It just gives you more flavor. All you need do is decide which one appeals to you graphically and go with that one. But also keep in mind that some abilities may "scale" with points in the tree based on later abilities in said tree, so you have to watch out for that. In general the bulk of your abilities in your standard rotation will come from your main or mains (can sometimes be two).

This can be a bit overwhelming to new players. There are a lot of abilities given early. Fewer abilities are given later, but the later abilities tend to be more important. A few of the lower level spells will be similar abilities from different trees (e.g. both are melee attack that does 72-83 dmg), and ones from alternate trees can simply be ignored.

Many of those skills initially do the same thing but a differentiated as you scale in the tree. For example, Nightblade and Assassin in the Rogue class. Or Crushing Blow and Fervent Strike.

Many refer to the soul system as talent trees but that's not totally accurate to the way talent trees work within say,World of Warcraft. The Soul System is more like having triple classes under a general archetype. The trees build up, but also down and horizontally.

I liked it better when the trees were visually a grind/hex thingy in Alpha. As it broke the psychological expectation of talent trees. You kinda have to be into that type of class system because in function Rift's is unlike Warcraft's talent trees in all but appearance.

Kind of a double edge sword when they let you get all 3 souls early. In one sense, it's nice for those that truly grasp the system. But the older way when you got like your 2nd soul way after Terminus/Mathosia was an easy "in" for those that don't get off on the idea of hyper specs.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-01-22 at 05:26 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    How is it bashing? Blizzard has a reputation for slow updates since WotLK, six month waits or more for raids which have minimal bosses. It's a statement of fact. If I leave RIFT for six months, so much has changed and been added over three or four patches. If I leave WoW for six months, there's a chance that no patch has even been released.

Keep your clever comments to yourself, this is a forum for discussion of RIFT not a place people who haven't played ever/in months to come and give us their rather dubious opinions.
    You know that 6 -8 month patch cycles have pretty much constantly been that way for Blizzard since TBC right?

And really, every single time I see you post you make a dig at Blizzard. So maybe you should stop being a hypocrite before you try telling one else off for it.

6-8 months is a long time in an MMO.

Raiding in Rift is not as fun as WoW's HM imo. Blizzard always does really good job with HM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Raiding in Rift is not as fun as WoW's HM imo. Blizzard always does really good job with HM.
    So you are 11/11 Hammerknell then?

Cause if you aren't you can't possibly make that statement. Having experienced both, I can say Akylios and Sicaron and a few other bosses are on par if not better than even the best Heroic encounters WoW has done. Yogg "0", Lich King, Raggy etc.
    Last edited by Khelendros; 2012-01-22 at 07:07 AM.

He's just stating his opinion/preference for Warcraft's raids in contrast to Rift's raids. Nothing wrong with that... no need to "defend" Rift.

Haven't raided in Cataclysm myself, quit Warcraft during Wrath. But have been a bleeding edge competitive raider since EQ1 up to SWTOR now; Rift raids are as well made and suitably challenging to their tier as any I have ran in other MMOs. My opinion, of course.

Ulduar remains the zenith of MMO raids for me, however. Don't think a raid in any MMO even comes close to that before/since in all respect of design. Glad I went out on the best Blizzard ever put forth.

I wouldn't say Hammerknell is the equal of Ulduar. But it's about as well done as Nax40 or Ssra Temple.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrena View Post
    You know that 6 -8 month patch cycles have pretty much constantly been that way for Blizzard since TBC right?

And really, every single time I see you post you make a dig at Blizzard. So maybe you should stop being a hypocrite before you try telling one else off for it.
    I've just checked my own post history and find that rather hard to believe, other than in this thread the factual comments relating to the length of time between patches I haven't uttered a word against WoW.

I'm here to talk about RIFT and unless you are too I suggest you post elsewhere.

Deleted
    every single time I see you post you make a dig at Blizzard. So maybe you should stop being a hypocrite before you try telling one else off for it.
    Maybe youre reading the wrong posts, Tarien pretty much only defends Rift from all the wow fanboi comments - he doesnt make a habit of going into your forum and bashing wow, which so many wow players seem to take pleasure from, coming into our sub section....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracemae View Post
    Hi,

So like most people i'm a long term wow player played since vanilla, but extremely tired of it now.

What i'd like to know is, is rift still popular?

I dont hear many talking about it anymore and i dont know if there are busy/full servers or what amount of players play it i.e wow had 11million subs pre cata what figure does rift have?

I enjoy pvp and pve but pvp slightly more, do they put much focus into pvp or is it more pve orientated like some non rift forums suggest.

Any help appreciated before i purchase it
    Well I should talk about pvp probably, because that's what you like and I'm a pvper=)
    If you played wow since vanilla Im sure you experienced farming battlegrounds for ranks. That's what Rift is all about now. It has been pretty unbalanced with high ranked players onehitting lower ones. However, they have improved the matchmaking system so it starts to even out a bit, and further improvements will be taken in next patch: revamp ranks, even better matchmaking, boosting stats for those who just hit lvl 50 and so on.
    If you like playing battlegrounds, than you will enjoy pvp in Rift. If you look for competitive gameplay, with premade teams against other, Rift isn't there yet and I'm not sure they ever will go down that road. It's a good company and they don't completely neglect the field.

World pvp is a bit tricky. Im on a pretty even balanced pvp server with a bit more guardians. Pvp rifts were suppose to encourage world pvp, but now defiants just do theirs when it's not peak hours, and guardians get the world otherwise. I feel a bit weak atm, when Im fully geared I will try take part in more world pvp.

Class balance havent been really much of an issue yet, more gear balance. As low rank you dont really have much choice in specs, healer or tank for survivalbility. You get more freedom as the gear gets better. If they manage to get the gear balance better I guess it will be easier to look into classes and specs. But then there will be same problem as most games who havent got separated pve and pvp talents, and since pve is the major focus of this game they will probably gain priority over pvp balance.

But try it out, you have lots of things to do before starting to worry. The warfronts, battlegrounds, are really fun. Queues will be long at low lvl but fast at lvl 50. And a lot of things are happening in the game and fast updates, so anything can happen without much of a wait. I'm having fun as a pvper =)

Deleted
    On topic, i dont think so.

off topic, i dont believe that even the half of the people say that they have started wow since day one or anything like that.. so no point in typing that down :/

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    World pvp is a bit tricky. Im on a pretty even balanced pvp server with a bit more guardians. Pvp rifts were suppose to encourage world pvp, but now defiants just do theirs when it's not peak hours, and guardians get the world otherwise. I feel a bit weak atm, when Im fully geared I will try take part in more world pvp.
    In 1.7 only one PvP RIFT can be open in the world at a time, it will force the two factions to confront each other a bit more rather than opening their Rifts in different zones. The last faction to close a PvP Rift also gets a buff which gives +10 to stats and +5% to Prestige, Favor, and Planar Attunement experience across the entire server.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    As low rank you dont really have much choice in specs, healer or tank for survivalbility.
    You could also go for some sort of utility spec, like a rogue bard/mage archon for buffs or a mage dominator/warrior riftblade You won't kill much and you'll likely die a lot but you WILL be helping your team out a lot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by laggspike View Post
    On topic, i dont think so.

off topic, i dont believe that even the half of the people say that they have started wow since day one or anything like that.. so no point in typing that down :/
    Can you rephrase that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Slight problem with your comment, we're talking about major patches in Rift every 6-8 weeks and not months

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    He's just stating his opinion/preference for Warcraft's raids in contrast to Rift's raids. Nothing wrong with that... no need to "defend" Rift.

Haven't raided in Cataclysm myself, quit Warcraft during Wrath. But have been a bleeding edge competitive raider since EQ1 up to SWTOR now; Rift raids are as well made and suitably challenging to their tier as any I have ran in other MMOs. My opinion, of course.

Ulduar remains the zenith of MMO raids for me, however. Don't think a raid in any MMO even comes close to that before/since in all respect of design. Glad I went out on the best Blizzard ever put forth.

I wouldn't say Hammerknell is the equal of Ulduar. But it's about as well done as Nax40 or Ssra Temple.
    I don't see it that way. I'm trying to find out if he's actually raided at all. Which is the problem I have with making statements like that. People are giving false information. You can't have an opinion if you have no information. Otherwise you are basing it on a preconcieved notion.

I have no problem if he really has been to Akylios and feels he's got the info to say that. I've run into a few people that feel as you do. Which is fine cause no doubt Ulduar was amazing. I personally prefer HK, but Ulduar had a more even flow to its encounters. I just think people tossing out unsubstantiated information is harmful to potential new players. Nothing more.
    Last edited by Khelendros; 2012-01-22 at 02:46 PM.