Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    I hate that pedestrian bull shit. I took my drivers test and florida and some idiot chick who almost backed into my car (which was parked) when leaving the parking lot for her test got her lisence.

  2. #42
    Herald of the Titans Ynna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,736
    Quote Originally Posted by tnpm View Post
    Because some mistakes may cost people's lives
    I agree with the intent of this statement (not causing other people harm) but I don't think it's right to assume perfect driving one time and decide pass or fail on that alone. I'm always extremely pissed off at people who (supposedly, I have no way to check) have their driving license and do whatever they damn well please.
    Retired Holy Priest
    As a rule, I try to act on the internet as I would in real life. If I have offended you, feel free to point it out. Unless I meant to offend you, I will probably apologize.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by adimaya View Post
    so... if they're not at a crosswalk you'd rather just run them over? :P
    lol no (well some people :P). I was speaking legally not practically. If you hit them you lose, but say if they're in a crosswalk and you do something stupid you lose 100%, but if they're crossing randomly or pop up suddenly from in-between two cars and you say swerve to miss them and hit another car you still lose, but they're at fault too. I may be completely wrong and someone correct me if I am, but for some reason that is stuck in my head.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arnoww View Post
    Well yeah, traffic is always tricky and you can never be 100% sure of what someone will do. It was a very bussy road and my intention was, ok I have time to move on and the one behind me should have noticed the pedestrian already and he can have the time to stop for the pedestrian in stead of me stopping aggressive. Can you see my perspective of the situation? I know it's somewhat against the rules, but it surely didn't happen because I didn't noticed him, I just thought I'd do good.

    At the end, a pedestrian shouldn't think he can do whatever he want right? He should be watching out as much as we do. Ofcourse I ride the car and there's the mistake from my side. But still it didn't interupted the traffic. And that's how it goes in the real world in my opinion.
    Yes they can do whatever they want. And you were in the wrong, because what if he randomly decided to sprint the last two lanes. Not stopping at a crosswalk when someone is in it is akin to running a red light. And crosswalks are supposed to interrupt traffic, you are supposed to stop. Would you rather have a bajillion stop lights all over the place instead of crosswalks? I know I wouldn't.

    Yes, they are supposed to watch, but they have the 100% right of way in a crosswalk. Hell I just go if I wait for a few mins and no one is stopping (yes I know it's stupid, but the crosswalks I deal with no one is going to hit you over 25 mph, and you get to sue them, so...I'll trade my kneecap for a nice insurance settlement knowing that I"ll win). Though I have decided that is either a Chicago thing, or a big city thing, because I know so many other people that are like "screw em I'm walking, they better stop."
    Last edited by evoco; 2012-01-21 at 04:56 PM.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnoww View Post
    At the end, a pedestrian shouldn't think he can do whatever he want right? He should be watching out as much as we do. Ofcourse I ride the car and there's the mistake from my side. But still it didn't interupted the traffic. And that's how it goes in the real world in my opinion.
    I don't understand your mentality of "interrupting traffic", if you don't break for him passing with a slight margin the guy after you which inherently has worse sight will have to. you are not interrupting traffic, you are just speeding things up for yourself, i.e being selfish.

    are you scared that if you break someone will ram into you?
    well that's the risks you have to take while driving. if they're doing their job they should see your break lights in time.

    Quote Originally Posted by evoco View Post
    lol no (well some people :P). I was speaking legally not practically. If you hit them you lose, but say if they're in a crosswalk and you do something stupid you lose 100%, but if they're crossing randomly or pop up suddenly from in-between two cars and you say swerve to miss them and hit another car you still lose, but they're at fault too. I may be completely wrong and someone correct me if I am, but for some reason that is stuck in my head.
    well yes, cars have right of way outside of crossings, and pedestrians have right of way on crossings and walking areas (parking lots!).
    long story short of course they can't run into traffic, but I see a lot of people reasoning along the lines of "scare the suckers into never approaching the road!", which is a bit on the awful side. traffic is all about mutual respect and cooperation.
    Last edited by adimaya; 2012-01-21 at 04:54 PM.

  5. #45
    Bloodsail Admiral Mordin Solus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    tuchanka
    Posts
    1,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    I agree with the intent of this statement (not causing other people harm) but I don't think it's right to assume perfect driving one time and decide pass or fail on that alone. I'm always extremely pissed off at people who (supposedly, I have no way to check) have their driving license and do whatever they damn well please.
    i was lucky on myne like i said in the first of my posts. basicly after i finished my test my teacher that was also in the car with me told me that i should have straight up say that it was my fault alone instead of tryin to explain that i didnt see the girl behind the car. i was sooo nervous while w8in for the examiner telling me if i had passed or not, because beside that mistake my driving was flawless. hell even today, 2 years after my exam, i still drive slow as a snail just to make sure i dont fuck smthin up, and only up my speed when i am sure that nothing will surprise me and cause an accident
    someone else might have gotten it wrong.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by adimaya View Post
    well yes, cars have right of way outside of crossings, and pedestrians have right of way on crossings and walking areas (parking lots!).
    long story short of course they can't run into traffic, but I see a lot of people reasoning along the lines of "scare the suckers into never approaching the road!", which is a bit on the awful side. traffic is all about mutual respect and cooperation.
    Gotcha. And yeah I don't understand, I'll assume that it's a difference in where people get their driving lessons etc. We were taught that basically if you see a person and you don't stop for them the driving gods will hit you with lightning and kill your entire family and then steal your dog. Though, I will say I'm snobby. If you are waiting to cross the street like 20 feet away from a crosswalk, but just don't feel like walking to it, I won't stop for you. You follow the rules, I follow the rules. I guess that falls under your "mutual respect and cooperation" part :P Also I think the parking lot rules should be amended for Walmart parking lots...can't we hit some of them just a little bit, please?

  7. #47
    Mechagnome Arnoww's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    574
    I think I just had the bad luck to have such a situation. Though next time I fail for a thing like that, I make a deathride from it. I know tons of people who earned their license but fail all the time. An example today with my sister, she almost crashed into 2 people on a bike if I didn't pulled the handbreak (dunno how to say it in English) And she got her license 2 weeks ago.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by evoco View Post
    can't we hit some of them just a little bit, please?
    kinda hard to dodge some of 'em:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efyrzAewjz8

  9. #49
    Scarab Lord Nivis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    4,814
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnoww View Post
    It's still a 36 euro wasted + some driving lessons
    When I made my motorcycle driver's licence, I failed because I was 3 km/h too slow during one task on the drill ground.
    That small mistake did cost me about 300€ because I had to take two more driving lessons plus had to pay for the further test.

    Kinda sucked :<

  10. #50
    Epic! Darios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Uninja'd States of Amerikill
    Posts
    1,550
    When I took my driving test the instructor was a complete dick. The day before the test the head gasket in my dad's car had broke so the ride was very jerky when accelerating. So come the day of test the first thing the instructor complained about was the ride, which I explained I had no control over. After passing the parallel parking test (You do that first here) I proceeded out of the parking lot and then the guy told me turn. When I asked him which direction he yelled "I said fucking turn!" so I guessed and went right, which turned out to be correct. By the time the test was over I was ready to kick his crotchety old ass out the passenger door. I passed nontheless but still the moral of the story is driving test administrators are dicks.

  11. #51
    Epic! Lilcheeks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    BOSTON, MA
    Posts
    1,502
    Lol I failed my driver test twice even though I had been driving for a year or 2. One of the times I got failed because I didn't take a right turn on a red light and the officer said I was 'holding up the flow of traffic'... even though there was no one behind us.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightelfsb View Post
    Step away from the keyboard!

    On-topic, you always seem to fail on driving test 1st time. Just so they can rank inn more money (All countries pays a fee right?), I know conspiracy and blablabla... but it seems alot fail it.
    In Northern California, US. you get 3 tries before you repay, but I like your thinking.

    I know that if you did that here you would have an automatic fail, or "A critical." You can't have a critical and the NUMBER 1 thing you can do to get a critical mark is not watch/wait for a pedestrian (or look over your shoulder before turning to make sure there are NO PEDS, for instance)

    Hell, if they want, an officer can ticket you just for being in the crosswalk when a pedestrian is also on the crosswalk (doesn't matter if the lights green/red/purple or even if the pedestrian has the right of way)

  13. #53
    lol OP: for future reference i hope your not on a two lane road when you do indeed get your license and see a car stopped at a crosswalk and you want to just drive through it. they don't have wow in prison, because that's where you'll end up for vehicular manslaughter. crosswalks are there for a reason, to allow for common pedestrians the ability to cross a road without feeling scared that they will get hit. pedestrians at a crosswalk actually have the right of way unless there are signs telling the pedestrians to not cross.

    i don't know who you think you are but if i was crossing the road and you flew by me id probably take your licence plate down and call the cops. when you get a knock on the door from the police arresting you, you will ask your self why. and then you'll see my face and know that you get what you deserve..

    good luck with your next test.

  14. #54
    I failed my first time, too. Most people do. You'll pass next time.

    I failed on the 90 degree back-in. I stopped roughly 1/3 of the through my turn to line up my car, and I told the lady I was going to hit the cone. She said, "So hit it." So I did. She failed me for that. And then she told me I am allowed to realign myself one time during the park... I was raging pretty hard in my head. Why wouldn't she just tell me that when I mentioned I was going to hit the cone if I continued?

  15. #55
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    200
    I failed my first time for not stopping for 2 drunk homeless natives running across the middle of the street. Who here from Northern Canada would to be honest.
    I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

  16. #56
    Ok, I'm having trouble understanding what you're saying. Was the guy on the crosswalk, just on the other side of the road? Or was he on the sidewalk and approaching the crosswalk? If he was on the crosswalk already, you deserved to be failed. If he was on the sidewalk and was far away to the point where it would take about 5 or 10 seconds for him to reach the crosswalk, then I'd say you were right in continuing.

    Bergtau's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability that somebody will mention Godwin's Law approaches 1.
    Hitler wasn't all bad, I mean, he DID kill Hitler.
    An accident is something that you did not mean to do at all. A mistake is something that you regret doing.

  17. #57
    A lot depends on which instructor you get so that's why you drive as defensively possible as you can, you can always explain why you slowed down somewhere, you can't explain why you didn't slow down.

  18. #58
    Most important thing : it does not matter at all if you agree or not. Next time, do what the tester is expecting you to do.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

  19. #59
    Congrats, I didn't even think that was possible.

  20. #60
    Mechagnome Arnoww's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    574
    Quote Originally Posted by passetto View Post
    lol OP: for future reference i hope your not on a two lane road when you do indeed get your license and see a car stopped at a crosswalk and you want to just drive through it. they don't have wow in prison, because that's where you'll end up for vehicular manslaughter. crosswalks are there for a reason, to allow for common pedestrians the ability to cross a road without feeling scared that they will get hit. pedestrians at a crosswalk actually have the right of way unless there are signs telling the pedestrians to not cross.

    i don't know who you think you are but if i was crossing the road and you flew by me id probably take your licence plate down and call the cops. when you get a knock on the door from the police arresting you, you will ask your self why. and then you'll see my face and know that you get what you deserve..

    good luck with your next test.
    thanks. I can understand your reaction and your opinion about it. Though you're talking to me like I'm a criminal already. /not appreciated. I would have stopped if the pedestrian was already on the other 2 lanes.

    ---------- Post added 2012-01-21 at 06:59 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsdaleHokie View Post
    Congrats, I didn't even think that was possible.
    what didn't you think was possible?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •