Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Deleted

Failed my driving test.

Helo guys, earlier this week I tried to pass my driving test. And I failed it. However I can't really agree 100% with the reason the guy gave me...

So the exam started and this guy said the usual official stuff such as "yeah you keep yourself on the speed limits, if you happen to come into a situation you handle it yourself and I will tell you in time where to go." then we started driving and everything went very good, I drove a little bit slower then the limits because it was a rainy day. And yeah you know the usual played stuff on an exam.
    But during the test there was a pedestrian who wanted to cross the road where cars have to stop for them but the pedestrian was still miles away and I thought I had time enough to pass it before the pedestrian would reach my position.

Then when the exam was done the guy said "yeah you're not passed, you should have stopped for the pedestrian and therefore I cannot give you your license.
    Ofcourse at that time I didn't wanted to make any troubles and I thanked him for his time to drive with me and stuff, always be polite to those people and stuff...

Though I don't really agree with his decision because such things happen every 5 minutes on the road and no one gives a real shit about pedestrians who try to cross a bussy road. And if all the other stuff on the exam was good, why would he let me fail for such a minority? What do you think, is the examinator right to not give me my license or should he have forgotten about it and still give it to me.

Please answer constructively, I'm not gonna nerdrage or go into a fight if you think he was right. I already accepted the failure and I will just go again in a few weeks but still. I keep getting upset about the one damn pedestrian.

Deleted
    long story short:
    YOU ALWAYS HAVE TO STOP FOR A PEDESTRIAN AT A CROSSING. NO EXCEPTIONS.
    doesn't matter if he's moving at 10 meters a minute, he has priority, and that's the way it is.

sure in real life you can always go "meh he won't be where my car will be when I'm passing anyway", but during a test you really have to do everything to the letter, and you should keep this in mind for your next test

10+ Year Old Account
    He was right. Pedestrians always have the right away.

That, to me, is a lot more important than not using a turn signal or doing a rolling stop.

Its just one of those things.. hard to say without seeing it, my instructor told me that on one of my driving lessons when I was reversing around a corner I would of failed if that was my test, because someone ran out into the road behind me... even though I slammed on the breaks. Just some things like that you can't really know what to do, but in your case I guess you can just never be too careful?

Quote Originally Posted by adimaya View Post
    long story short:
    YOU ALWAYS HAVE TO STOP FOR A PEDESTRIAN AT A CROSSING. NO EXCEPTIONS.
    doesn't matter if he's moving at 10 meters a minute, he has priority, and that's the way it is.

sure in real life you can always go "meh he won't be where my car will be when I'm passing anyway", but during a test you really have to do everything to the letter, and you should keep this in mind for your next test
    Pretty much this, good luck next time though. Hope the tests aren't TOO expensive.

You must drive perfectly during your test. Once you've passed you can drive how you like with any bad habits.
    It's hard to judge whether they're gonna make it in time & it's hard for us to comment but the chances are he wasn't that far away, you should've just slowed down and waited.
    Better luck next time.

Yep, Pedestrians always have the right of way! If you are will to do that w/ a instructor in the car, he was probably thinking you would damn sure not stop when driving alone!
    Just wait until you do get your license and certain ppl stand in the roadway, expecting you to wait on them, it sucks but they, by law, have the right of way!

I agree with others, he was right.

He can't possibly pass you if you are making the call that pedestrian is walking too slowly, and you won't hit them.
    Pedestrian at a crosswalk, means you stop and wait until pedestrian makes it all the way to the other side.

What happens after you get your license depends on if you want to follow the rules or not, but you can't get license if you don't follow the rules.

Jesus take the wheel!

10+ Year Old Account
    First of all, you're from Belgium. I've heard a lot of people here failing for stupid reasons, and passing despite stupid mistakes. Whether you fail or pass is, in part, totally arbitrary. Some examinators (what's the correct word in English?) are very strict, others are a bit more lenient, but I suspect they secretly hate everyone. I've never heard of anyone walking away happy from their drivers exam, even if they passed.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    Myeah well ofcourse I had to stop maybe for the pedestrian but I didn't wanted to block the traffic, so I probably made a little misinterpretation there it's still bitchy though It's still a 36 euro wasted + some driving lessons because I didn't wanna drive with my mother. She drives insanely crazy... Ah well, I just hope next time I have some better luck with those things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would help if you were little more detailed. Saying that pedestrians were miles away doesn't mean anything because if they were miles away you wouldn't be able to even see them.

Since you used miles instead kilo, I would assume you're from the states. In that case, once a pedestrian puts their foot on the crosswalk line or road(even if they are five lanes away from you), you have to stop by law.
    Last edited by Collegeguy; 2012-01-21 at 04:22 PM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolson13 View Post
    Pretty much this, good luck next time though. Hope the tests aren't TOO expensive.
    Mine was 100 dollars flat, and I didn't have to take the written because I had a permit.

Deleted
    First time i did my driving lesson i failed due to ending up in a wrong lane coming off a round about, i didn't agree with the decision but nothing much you can do about it. I didn't agree on the basis that i could have just indicated to go into the left lane & correct it but the instructor wasn't happy about it for whatever reason.

Like some have said, you have to drive near on perfect, everything down to a T. Pedestrians always have right of way when at a crossing, one such nearly got me failed..

Just crack on, put this failed test in the back of your head & think of it as a practice run. Go back out & you'll pass in no time. I passed on my 2nd test.

Quote Originally Posted by StormiNL View Post
    You shoudl haev fuckign raged at him and fucking knock him in his head thats what i did fucking let me fil for 1 misstake fuck that i fucking kill him if i wanted
    Step away from the keyboard!

On-topic, you always seem to fail on driving test 1st time. Just so they can rank inn more money (All countries pays a fee right?), I know conspiracy and blablabla... but it seems alot fail it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    Since you used miles instead kilo, I would assume you're from the states. In that case, once a pedestrian puts their foot on the crosswalk line(even if they are five lines away from you), you have to stop by law.
    so... you manage to analyse his post in such detail that you notice the American idiomatic expression "was miles away" but you fail to notice the "Location: Belgium" under his avatar? :P found this a bit amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    I've never heard of anyone walking away happy from their drivers exam, even if they passed.
    I walked off from mine happy!
    it was a sunny day, I made no mistakes and the instructor complimented me on my nice handling of the car.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    First of all, you're from Belgium. I've heard a lot of people here failing for stupid reasons, and passing despite stupid mistakes. Whether you fail or pass is, in part, totally arbitrary. Some examinators (what's the correct word in English?) are very strict, others are a bit more lenient, but I suspect they secretly hate everyone. I've never heard of anyone walking away happy from their drivers exam, even if they passed.
    Myeah in Belgium they're really weird tbh. I can understand that some examinators are very strict because they basicly risk their lives everyday just to get a safe traffic. (I'm sure they experience a lot during those exams). But the thing is, the weather conditions in Belgium are really bad these days, raining all the time. And I think it's because of that I failed it. Because I should have been more carefull surely for a pedestrian.

when it was me i almost flunked for that same reason but the guy still passed me . basicly when it was me i was in a situation where the road has the width of like 4 lanes (2 for each side with only the white mark seperating them) basicly i was on my bussines and i saw the pedestrian stripes and i looked around to see if there were any pedestrians close to it for me to stop, the right side had no1 and i couldnt see any1 on the left aswell, but here is where my problem came. the left side was in the shade so it was all black with poor visibility, and there was a huge car right next to the pedestrian passage so i couldnt see anythin past it and so i went on my merry way without stoping, even though i had decelareted (pardon my english) and after i passed, my evaluator told me "there was a girl at the pedestrian passage" and i was like "i didnt see any1 (how could i...), i know i have to stop but i really didnt see any1". i was soooooo lucky he didnt flunk me.
    someone else might have gotten it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoww View Post
    Though I don't really agree with his decision because such things happen every 5 minutes on the road and no one gives a real shit about pedestrians who try to cross a bussy road.
    As a pedestrian in Chicago, if this is your attitude I'm glad they failed you.
    Last edited by Zamfix; 2012-01-21 at 04:27 PM.

irl i dont stop unless the ped is at the zebra crossing(its called that in england - dont know where your from op) - and ppl on thier part arent aloud to walk straight onto a crossing, they have to wait until a car stops to let them cross, although by law, the car has to stop for them - if every1 stopped everytime some1 was walking towards a crossing we'd get nowhere, therefore some1 has to be at the crossing in order for a car to stop - i sort of agree with you op, if the person wasnt at teh crossing then you shouldnt have stopped, but being it was your test then maybe you shouldve, to be on the safe side