Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Books] The Hunger Games

So I read The Hunger Games and Catching fire over the weekend (great books btw) and one thing im not too sure about is what year it was in the books? Perhaps I over looked it? but not too sure. I have a hard time thinking its way in the future cause they still use coal.

Deleted
    I'm not sure but i think it is after world war 3, so in the future yes.

EDIT: The Hunger Games takes place in an unidentified future time period after the destruction of North America, in a nation known as Panem. Panem consists of a wealthy Capitol and twelve surrounding, poorer districts. District 12, where the book begins, is located in the coal-rich region that was formerly Appalachia.(from wikipedia)

Deleted

[Books] The Hunger Games

So, I just finished The Hunger Games today, read it in a 6 hour sitting, which is pretty insane even for me.

I admit I only became aware of this through the film coming out soon, and when I heard the plot my kneejerk reaction was "Battle Royale Ripoff!". I'm a massive fan of The Battle Royale novel/manga, not so much the film, so I was pretty pissed off that someone had copied it so blatantly.

That was until I actually read The Hunger Games, it's completely different to BR, their only similarity really is their most basic plot points.

I mean, this is actually an amazing, amazing book. It's very well written (first person, present tense), with a pace that really drags you in right from the off. I know a lot of people may have not read it because they think "it's for girls," the main character (and therefore storyteller) is a girl yes, but it really shouldn't effect a decision on whether or not to read.

There's this fantastic sense of dread that just hangs over the character constantly, it's a genuinely frightening book I found, as well as having moments of real sadness. I had a persistant sense that at any moment some horrible injury was going to befall Katniss, and it's that sort of suspense that kept my hooked on it for so long. Katniss Everdeen is such a brilliant protagonist, strong, independent and willing to go to any length to win the games, she's utterly believable throughout the story.

I have hope for the film, mainly as it has a good director, cast and the screenplay was written by the author herself.

Just thought I'd throw this out here and see what reception it picks up, because I'm sure there's a lot of feeling towards this series out there. But honestly guys, from a long time fan, don't call this out as a BR ripoff until you've read it.

I read the trilogy over a week earlier this summer and have crazy mixed feelings, I liked the first book, loved the second hated he third. As for the movie, IMO it looks horrible. Katniss's district should be much more ominous, darker, DEPRESSING. Also the "fence" they show is about 25feet to short, and the career tributes who are supposed to be monstrous in size look like skinny Hollister models, not bad asses who will kill you and not think twice. Like i said this is only my op. and i still strongly urge people to give the books a chance.

10+ Year Old Account
    My daughter urged me to read them so I did a few months ago.

I would have preferred it to be even darker in tone considering the subject matter and world the author created. But considering this is a "teen" novel, I guess the tone is dark already.

If anything, the movie trailers make Katniss' district a tad too clean. I'm expecting Appalachia, with coal dusts everywhere. I grew up in a mining town before everything was prettied up after the mines closed. Her district is too pretty. Overall, I'll wait for the movie to make any real judgements.

(And why is Katniss' hair auburn?!?!?! BLACK AS COAL it should be)

OP Have you read all 3 books?

I found the series to be very very good, although I was kind of disappointed about the fact that I spent the whole time wondering how the world came to that state, but they never reveal it, they only really hint at it.

Too bad my brother refuses to read it for some reason. And he reads a lot.
    Stulti se laudant.
    Minecraft Survival Server: 203.206.166.219:25565
    http://www.youtube.com/user/fpiceail

The Hunger Games and other the 2 books are among my favorites.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

I love these books. They're definitely among my favorites and I'm excited for the movie. I'm a little wary of it, since it's really hard to capture the essence of the books in a movie, imo, but I'm still interested in seeing how they do it.

the third book was terrible.

beyond that, my only real complaint is that the scale was all whack-a-doo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Agree, hated the third book, second was average, first was great. Hope the movies don't go the same way.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    The first book was pretty amazing. It seemed like every other chapter had an ending that urged you to read on to the next. I loved the overall plan that was revealed over time, i.e. Cinna and Haymitch were really "playing the game" from the very very start, even though their plan wasn't completely apparent until later, and it was genius.

The second book was still okay. Again there was the sense of "the plan" that was hidden from the narrator that only came to light later. I like this. The action in the arena was again a highlight of the book. The twist at the end, the reveal of the plan, was... rushed? The flurry of activity right at the end left me a little bit confused and I didn't quite follow the action completely. I was left thinking "Wait, what just happened" but not in a good way. I had to re-read it to figure out what exactly happened. Otherwise it was decent overall. The problem solving displayed in the arena was good.

The third book. Meh. I didn't like the location of District 13. The story felt slower. It felt like the main character was getting jerked around. There were some decent action scenes later on, but nothing was overly compelling. The assassination was a bit too telegraphed for me and wasn't as big of a twist as I think the author intended, and I felt the whole thing ended a little flat (though the surprise death near the end was a little shocking).

In the first book, all of the characters were just so much more interesting, and there was a lot of underlying plotting and strategy that I found very compelling. This flowed into the second book, but the final book felt like choreographed plodding steps toward the inevitable ending.

I just finished the first book and I thought it was really good. I immediately bought the next one on kindle even though I got the feeling its meant for a teenage girl (im 30 male lol). Looking forward to book too and hopefully book three doesnt suck like i read in the reviews.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've only read the first book but I really, really liked it

I'm a big fan of Michael Crichton and Robert Ludlum and Hunger Games was thoroughly enjoyed
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Finished the third book now and I really liked it. Its pretty sad in the end but its pretty realistic I guess. The movie previews look a little cheese but I will still be checking it out : )

10+ Year Old Account
    I got attached to the books rather quickly. I can honestly say I enjoyed them. I am a 26 year old male with a fondness for books like these. I am half anticipating/dreading the movie release for the first book, but at the end of the trailer when they played Rue's 4 note tune, it kind of sent shivers down my spine.

One of my favorite series. That and The Inheritance Cycle. And the Bartimaeus Trilogy. And The Book of Deacon series. The Hitchhikers Guide to the galaxy, all the books.
    That's what's on the top shelf, the books I go back to, over, and over...Especially the inheritance cycle. I find myself attaching to the books aimed at teens now more than when I was a teen. If you picked up my Nook, you'd find nearly all teen to teen-adult fiction. Especially in the fantasy and science fiction areas.
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.

Looks like the cast signed on for the next film also, and its scheduled to come out next year. Let me just say that Woody Harelson looks completely retarded and nothing like I pictured Hymitch rofl.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deftone007 View Post
    Looks like the cast signed on for the next film also, and its scheduled to come out next year. Let me just say that Woody Harelson looks completely retarded and nothing like I pictured Hymitch rofl.
    Inorite?

They could have just had him look like his balding, middle aged self and the look would have been fine.

Hunger Games..?

This is to the people who read the books... Do you think the books or the movies will be better? Explain why, =).

Deleted
    Looking to get the books in a few days, has been a while since I have sat down and read a good book. Lets hope it is as good as everyone says it is.