Deleted

OnLive - your opinions?

So i just heard of this thing called OnLive. Head to youtube and watch totalbiscuit's video of it(albeit not all of it). "Wow this looks too good to be true." The bragkills thing and arena was really impressive, and you can play ANY game you want FOR FREE(for 30 minutes, but still, that's really good). I download it and test Batman:Arkham City. It feels...wierd. The controls are just strange, it's like it doesn't matter if i play on the lowest or the highest sensitivity - it doesn't feel right playing on mouse and keyboard. Also -LAG-. Now i know i shouldn't be picking on something which is free and new, but i've got 30 mbps connection and never ever lag in any game - ever.

But the lag in Batman wasn't even close to how much Homefront lagged when i tested it. I just gave up after 5 minutes of the 30 min trial period as it was just unplayable.

Has anyone else used or is using OnLive? What do you think of it? Do the "real games" lag as much as the trial versions?

I haven't tried it but I kinda wanted to. But afteer your review I think I'll give it a miss for the time being.

It sucks, no one needs it.

Deleted
    I think the idea is really great. Every service(=Steam) should really use that demomodel(You get to play every game for 30 minutes and then decide if you want to buy it). You can also "rent" a game for 3-5 days if you think you will be able to finish it really quickly..or something. I read somewhere that if you live in USA the lag shouldn't be so bad.

Deleted
    i think its a good idea.

i tried it out on my pc, and my internet connection was far too slow for it to work so i never got to try it properly.

I've seen numerous horrible reviews claiming the lag is just stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nokami View Post
    It sucks, no one needs it.
    People with macbooks
    People with older components
    People with a tablet could also use it.

Personally I think it's a great idea, too bad my down/up is too slow to handle OnLive I'd give it a try if I didn't have massive lag due to my area.

i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Deleted
    I think it's a very bad idea, even without the input lag which is unavoidable (also the lag can't be compared with normal multiplayer lag, because in normal game, your keyboard and mouse react instantly, while here every movement is lagging). Putting entire game on publisher's servers gives them too much control. For example, if Mass Effect 5 launches, they can easily shut down Mass Effect 4 for all players and you can't do a damn thing about it. Even though DRM services like Steam can do the same, in the worst case you could crack the game to get access for what you "paid for" (in fact you rent it, especially in digital distribution but that's irrelevant). With streaming the video content, it will be like digital services EULA - "only way of dispute is to stop using the service".

I don't want it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by athrl View Post
    I think it's a very bad idea, even without the input lag which is unavoidable (also the lag can't be compared with normal multiplayer lag, because in normal game, your keyboard and mouse react instantly, while here every movement is lagging). Putting entire game on publisher's servers gives them too much control. For example, if Mass Effect 5 launches, they can easily shut down Mass Effect 4 for all players and you can't do a damn thing about it. Even though DRM services like Steam can do the same, in the worst case you could crack the game to get access for what you "paid for" (in fact you rent it, especially in digital distribution but that's irrelevant). With streaming the video content, it will be like digital services EULA - "only way of dispute is to stop using the service".

I don't want it.
    Just exactly like Origin and Steam can be shutdown.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Deleted
    I tried it earlier today played the 30min of Batman Arkham City and tried around other games checked out the arena and such i find the service realy great to test stuff as i rather buy physical copies.
    I played the games just fine had no noticeable delay in keys or any sign of lagg loaded realy fast.
    I say its quite usefull.
    Dont forget every game you buy there you can play on ANY platform or any computer that have a good internet connection so darksiders on your cellphone for example.
    Last edited by mmoc53d469cddd; 2012-01-22 at 02:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played deus ex, arkham asylum, & boderlands on onlive. No noticeable lag through any of the single player campaigns, I have not yet tried any multiplayer games. all in all, I like it, will it replace steam/conventional pc gaming? doubt it. Is it innovative, fun and fresh? yes. I recommend everyone tries it out before bashing it on the forums.. It's free and takes < 3 minutes to set up.

http://www.onlive.com/signup
    "Can you truly help someone so intent on being stupid?"
    - Hawke

10+ Year Old Account
    I think this will be the future of "casual gaming". While a more dedicated gamer will much prefer having much faster responses, and better quality, it will definitely work in the mobile and casual markets. The main problem with it right now is that the infrastructure in America is fairly weak, and the average person may not be able to stream games at their maximum potential.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    Just exactly like Origin and Steam can be shutdown.
    Well yeah but there's lesser likelihood of entire DRM service shutting down than a single game. Look at Star Wars Galaxies, it's no coincidence that they shut down their servers just as SWTOR launches.

Also like I said, when Steam shuts down, at the very least you'll be able to crack the game and retain your purchase (it's a moral dilemma though if you should be able to crack legally purchased games).

I would be unaffected by it because I refuse to buy games with any form of online activation just for this sole purpose, but it's a problem nonetheless.

OnLive seems great if you're a "casual" gamer or have a bad PC, neither of these apply to me.

The only time I'd use OnLive is to try out a game (free trial).
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance