Page 1 of 26
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1

    [Megathread] Kingdoms of Amalur Discussion

    Now when there's a demo, let's get a discussion going - It seems like an awesome game, I dont like that they start you off like they do though, I like how meaty the combat is even at level one.


    What are your impressions?

  2. #2
    EverythingGoodAboutSkyrim + EverythingGoodAboutFable + AwesomeCombat + RubbishDialogueLayout + That"SomethingIsMissing"Feeling = KOA:Reckoning.
    Last edited by Sarnius; 2012-01-22 at 03:19 AM.

  3. #3
    Stood in the Fire Majik8ball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Gilneas
    Posts
    442
    Idk, I downloaded the steam demo, but it is having serious problems, my screen was completely dark, then when I tried to equip a sword I found in the blackness my menu screen stayed up even though I was still in the game. Then I met the guy in the cave, and I had a black screen + menu screen+ HUD, + Dialogue options + Enemy healthbars all onscreen at once. Anyway fix to this?
    "Can you truly help someone so intent on being stupid?"
    - Hawke

  4. #4
    the demo is a different build than final(before anyone comes in here spewing bug filled demo means game is bad). There's a thread here somewhere already about the demo, but it's postprocessing if I remember right. You have to turn it off from the menu.

  5. #5
    Game is fun. Graphics are a bit "stale"
    Personally I would have wished that the demo showed off some high level play. The combat feels a bit "stiff", but from reading the talents, they seem to remedy that at later levels.

  6. #6
    Bloodsail Admiral Rhywolver's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,118
    Pretty nice game, I had the feeling I just got a World of Warcraft II (because those gnome and elf-characters are like, really great updates of Warcraft-style characters).

    Impressions so far:

    + Combat is insane. It feels really great and responsive
    + The mix between ranged combat and melee, I loved it. A real use for your casting staff, it lets most other games look like grandpa's beating stuff with his crutch
    + So far, it's running pretty good on a pc that not that strong. Other games that are 3 years old have much more performance problems on higher settings.


    +- Story is pretty dark, world is colorful and shiny. I'm not sure if I can get into it, this mix feels weird.


    - Inventory sucks. Really. Can't be that hard to implement a real one
    - Unable to rebind all the keys (personally I'm used to walk with RMB)
    - No jumping... really. Instead I found a 'Jump spot' in the forest, where you could jump down 2 meters by pressing the actuion key... ugh

    Maybe many things could be much better if it wasn't a cross-plattform-game. If it was made for PC only, at least the interface would be better. But I guess the way it is it's just gaming socialism, since you aren't allowed to have more than the console-gamer. This is why we can't have nice things
    Sing like no one ist listening - Love like you've never been hurt
    Dance like no one is watching - Masturbate like no one else is on the bus

  7. #7
    Mechagnome Vewen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    702
    The demo was entertaining, but the crashes at the beginning(until I found the fix) and especially not being to change my keybindings for movement was a real bummer. And the camera is maybe a bit too close to the character.

    I like the combat though and I'm sure to make a unique mix of warrior/sorcerer!

    ---------- Post added 2012-01-22 at 10:44 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Worgenite View Post
    the demo is a different build than final(before anyone comes in here spewing bug filled demo means game is bad). There's a thread here somewhere already about the demo, but it's postprocessing if I remember right. You have to turn it off from the menu.
    Yes. And don't try to runt the game in windowed fullscreen mode. That just makes it close on itself. At least for me, just keep fullscreen.
    Last edited by Vewen; 2012-01-22 at 10:03 AM.

  8. #8
    Elemental Lord Dezerte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    8,022
    Bad UI, bad graphics and bad camera/FOV makes me a sad panda. Also suffers from some other odd design choices, like when I equipped the shield I don't actually see it on my back/hand until I press block.

    Might pick it up when it drops to 5€.
    To declare that a personal, inner experience gives certainty about the workings of the universe is to assign far too much value to one’s subjective sense of conviction.
    I’m not that arrogant.

    The brain, marvelous instrument though it is, isn’t infallible. It can misfire, seize or hallucinate, and it can do so in a way that’s utterly indistinguishable from reality to the person experiencing it.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhywolver View Post
    Pretty nice game, I had the feeling I just got a World of Warcraft II (because those gnome and elf-characters are like, really great updates of Warcraft-style characters).

    Impressions so far:

    + Combat is insane. It feels really great and responsive
    + The mix between ranged combat and melee, I loved it. A real use for your casting staff, it lets most other games look like grandpa's beating stuff with his crutch
    + So far, it's running pretty good on a pc that not that strong. Other games that are 3 years old have much more performance problems on higher settings.


    +- Story is pretty dark, world is colorful and shiny. I'm not sure if I can get into it, this mix feels weird.


    - Inventory sucks. Really. Can't be that hard to implement a real one
    - Unable to rebind all the keys (personally I'm used to walk with RMB)
    - No jumping... really. Instead I found a 'Jump spot' in the forest, where you could jump down 2 meters by pressing the actuion key... ugh

    Maybe many things could be much better if it wasn't a cross-plattform-game. If it was made for PC only, at least the interface would be better. But I guess the way it is it's just gaming socialism, since you aren't allowed to have more than the console-gamer. This is why we can't have nice things
    Did you play it with access to all the talents?
    Cause I wouldn't describe the combat as being "great and responsive." It seems that you need the later talents for it to truly shine, so that you can attack straight from a dodge. In the demo there is a slight pause between dodging and being able to attack.
    To some extent the combat reminds me of Dragon Age 2. Console version where you have to press a button to swing your weapon.

  10. #10
    Here's mine:

    Feels alot like an MMO
    Good Graphic Design
    I didnt give a damn about the story.
    No jumping.
    Excellent combat.


    Why does this demo start you off with a rusty sword, crude dagers and a rusty shield, they should showcase some of the higher-level stuff.....

    Might be a good fable-ish game, but no jumping makes me kinda iffy about it.

  11. #11
    Bloodsail Admiral DaDimi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    Might be a good fable-ish game, but no jumping makes me kinda iffy about it.
    Totally get that... I really like Reckoning, but the lack of jumping has gotten really weird after WoW (and Skyrim).... you're just used to jump like a retard every other second, without any reason at all. If I can't jump.. well yeah, it makes me feel kinda awkward... one gets used to it, but at the beginning it feels like something is missing. (the level design in the demo was good enough that it wasn't really a problem though, so they could've done a good job in the full game too, will see)

  12. #12
    The graphics were good, the world looked so beautiful.
    The hack and slash combat feels good and responsive.
    I don't like the aimed spells and archery right now, It feels very clunky.
    It annoys me to no end that you can't jump In this game, that's why Guild Wars annoyed the hell out of me.
    The Inventory system Is clunky
    conversation system is clunky.

    I see console port all over In this game.

  13. #13
    lol @ starting a thread about a game and misspelling the name.

    combat seemed okay. story kinda so-so. no voiced main character felt weird.

  14. #14
    Stood in the Fire Majik8ball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Gilneas
    Posts
    442
    Just played through the demo as a Rogue/warrior. I really liked the combat, the UI and controls felt great, and the world look beautiful. (It resembled a mix between WoW's art style, and Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword's art style) My 2 problems with the game:

    1) no jumping
    2) Shields are only shown when you press block, then they mysteriously disappear.

    For me, it all depends on how much game content their is. If it's an Elder scrolls style game (300+ hours, and very moddable) sign me up. If it's a fable style game ( 15 hours, maybe) then I will wait for a massive price drop and will probably play it over the summer.
    "Can you truly help someone so intent on being stupid?"
    - Hawke

  15. #15
    Brewmaster Newbryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Leaving
    Posts
    1,339
    I usually don't want to have anything to do with games that have the EA brand but I must say the game looks amazing I'm actually looking forward to it.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

  16. #16
    Herald of the Titans Poppincaps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Post-Apocalyptic America
    Posts
    2,503
    No jumping... that's your complaint? Just roll every second instead of jumping... I think it's more fun. The game is pretty good. Feels alot like Fable, but that isn't such a bad thing. I will probably get it used or something.

  17. #17
    Moderator Shamanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    10,934
    It looked fun, but I got frustrated in the demo real fast - it took me ages to figure out that my windowed mode was causing crashes and then I had some weird graphical errors for a while. I spent as much time searching for the fixes as I did actually playing the game. It doesn't inspire me to want to spend £30 on it... even though I've read the reports that the bugs are fixed in the full game, it just left a stale taste in my mouth to be honest.

    That being said, it does look fun - and when it comes down in price, I will definitely be picking it up and playing it through. I think i'll be impressed by the full game, but really wasn't so much by the demo. I thought the graphics were sweet though and it had a lot of potential, but a demo is meant to be a selling point and get me excited and it just left me kinda frustrated, so I won't be pre-ordering it or buying it straight away on release.
    Moderator of Professions & Garrisons | General Discussion | Diablo 3 | Guild Wars 2
    Please take the time to read the Forum Guidelines & Sig Guidelines

    Currently playing: Warlords of Draenor | Diablo 3 | Hex TCG | Heroes of the Storm
    Steam

  18. #18
    Brewmaster Newbryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Leaving
    Posts
    1,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    It looked fun, but I got frustrated in the demo real fast - it took me ages to figure out that my windowed mode was causing crashes and then I had some weird graphical errors for a while. I spent as much time searching for the fixes as I did actually playing the game. It doesn't inspire me to want to spend £30 on it... even though I've read the reports that the bugs are fixed in the full game, it just left a stale taste in my mouth to be honest.

    That being said, it does look fun - and when it comes down in price, I will definitely be picking it up and playing it through. I think i'll be impressed by the full game, but really wasn't so much by the demo. I thought the graphics were sweet though and it had a lot of potential, but a demo is meant to be a selling point and get me excited and it just left me kinda frustrated, so I won't be pre-ordering it or buying it straight away on release.
    Good thing I wont be playing it on the PC.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill View Post
    No jumping... that's your complaint? Just roll every second instead of jumping... I think it's more fun. The game is pretty good. Feels alot like Fable, but that isn't such a bad thing. I will probably get it used or something.
    Agree so much with the roll replace jump thing.

    I could definitely get into the game I've attempted to play the demo twice. Once got out of the cave and had to turn it off, second time got out of the cave, talked to the guy, found out about reckoning stuff and then the game froze on the PS3. Will give it one more go this time actually saving it for when I get retail.

    I've been looking for an action adventure for a pretty long time that has fluid controls and combat with awesome RPG elements. This seems to fulfill everything I want in a game. The only part that gets to me is switching between it and Skyrim and being confused on the controls. Attempting to access the inventory and instead dive-rolling about and things like that.

    Oh and the graphics on the PS3 are terribly bad. Its like old xbox level graphics. I guess its a bug but hopefully it'll be fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-860 @2.8GHz | Radeon HD 7770 | 8GB DDR3-1333MHz | Corsair CX 430W |

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Agree so much with the roll replace jump thing.

    I could definitely get into the game I've attempted to play the demo twice. Once got out of the cave and had to turn it off, second time got out of the cave, talked to the guy, found out about reckoning stuff and then the game froze on the PS3. Will give it one more go this time actually saving it for when I get retail.

    I've been looking for an action adventure for a pretty long time that has fluid controls and combat with awesome RPG elements. This seems to fulfill everything I want in a game. The only part that gets to me is switching between it and Skyrim and being confused on the controls. Attempting to access the inventory and instead dive-rolling about and things like that.

    Oh and the graphics on the PS3 are terribly bad. Its like old xbox level graphics. I guess its a bug but hopefully it'll be fixed.
    The bad graphics are not being caused by a bug, they just look awful on consoles. But on the PC the graphics are good.
    I've decided to not play this on a console because the graphics look awful and the combat Is more fluid on PC because your not locked at 30 fps.
    Last edited by wombinator04; 2012-01-23 at 03:44 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •