How to use world of logs to analyse my own play and that of my teamates?

I've never used world of logs before. I would like to use it to see how often I have certain abilities activated. I would also like to analyse the play of my teamates and our attempts on progression bosses. How can I learn to use this tool? Do I have to download an addon to use it? (I typed world of logs into the curse client and got nothing)

It's not an addon, it's a website that analyzes your WoW Combat Log

http://www.worldoflogs.com/

Create an account there and register with your guild. Then optionally use something like LoggerHead which will automatically enable combat logging while you are in a raid.

After the raid is over, log out and open the World of Logs Client to upload the log to the website.

Then your report will be available for anyone to see.

2nd Optional step: If you want a further analysis of the raid, breaking down a lot of the mistakes, significant buffs and debuffs, cooldowns, and potions your guildies are using you can copy the parse URL to here: http://raidbots.com/comparebot/

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

I did everything you said. Logger head didnt' really have any instructions however I know that if you click on the map icon it will toggle between logging and not logging combat info. I followed the instructions on world of logs quick start guide, enabled combat logging, and when I killed a few mobs and tried to open the log and it said the file was too small. How can I make sure I can properly use logs for my raid next week?

First you need to go to the world of logs page, create an account, and register or create a guild.
    Once you've done that you should read the step by step instructions with pictures at:
    forums.worldoflogs.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1994&p=7586#p7603

A popular addon to use while logging is Loggerhead:
    curse.com/addons/wow/loggerhead

Once you start logging your fights you can upload the parses to world of logs. They have a very good explanation on how to do that there.
    After uploading your logs you can then start to peruse them on the website. As far as learning how to use world of logs effectively I would suggest just committing 30+ minutes to click on every button available on the log report and just to get accustomed to finding certain types of information.

Run a dugeon, will be enough info to test then.
    Last edited by kittyb; 2012-01-22 at 05:29 AM.

Do a boss in the raid finder

It's just a Java file it's not a program that you install. Click on the Client page on the WoL homepage to open it.

Gershuun @ Borean Tundra US - Interface & Macros Moderator

I just used logger head to record the logs of an LFR Fall of Deathwing run. When I tried to upload the log from the client to the world of logs site, it wouldn't upload. On the "lines" section it said "60240 too long" in red. What am I doing wrong? Should I be uploading the log after every fight?

After you upload a log, do you need to manually delete the log file from your wow folder so that too much data doesn't accumulate?

Deleted
    The WoL client automatically deletes your uploaded logs (or at least I believe it offers the option to do so) - however, if you previously used LoggerHead (or simply did /combatlog), the log file might be too long (in either lines or timeframe) for WoL to interpret. Simply delete the World of Warcraft\Logs\WoWCombatLog.txt file to start over (while the client is closed). Or manually find the start of your LFR log (by timestamp) and delete all lines preceding that, then upload (and delete the log afterwards).

This might be a dumb question but if I have disabled all combat log related things in the game (from the chatbox, unchecked everything, etc.) does running /combatlog still work to be able to upload to WoL later? Or are the checkboxes in the combat log window in game related to what is actually recorded in the file?

Deleted
    Nope, recording uses the unfiltered combat log.