Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm amazed yet again, I know what I'm going to use on my next build.

However, I've got one question.
    Why do they bother making reference cards? Why not immediately jump on the aftermarket coolers?
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Generally speaking, reference cards are just the template. The producers have to spend some time, like it or not, to adapt their existing or new technology to fit the new card(s).

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Not in the US Drunken. The cheapest 7970 on NewEgg is $549.99, all of the 680s are $499.99.
    Same on newegg.ca

Deleted
    The Nvidia 680 seems to be pretty quiet, I'm very curious as to how quiet they will be able to make the card with aftermarket coolers!

They went from 50+ decibel to 36 with the Sapphire cooler on the 7950/7970.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudejoss View Post
    any1 know a gd place to get the new gtx680 as i am looking in getting 2 running in SLI (i am in the UK) i seen overclockers prices but it looks like it will be cheaper to get 2 from the us and get them shipped over

www.scan.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    However, I've got one question.
    Why do they bother making reference cards? Why not immediately jump on the aftermarket coolers?
    Because not everyone has a high end case with good airflow; Some people really are sitting with HP-computers and whatnot, where airflow isn't even first, second or even fifth priority.
    Reference-coolers are designed to work with all cases and situations.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Because not everyone has a high end case with good airflow; Some people really are sitting with HP-computers and whatnot, where airflow isn't even first, second or even fifth priority.
    Reference-coolers are designed to work with all cases and situations.
    I think he's asking why they release this videocard, instead of releasing them with aftermarket coolers, which have better airflow and sound output for usually about the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickz View Post
    I think he's asking why they release this videocard, instead of releasing them with aftermarket coolers, which have better airflow and sound output for usually about the same price.
    And that was what I was answering.

Aftermarket coolers depend on having a case with good airflow, otherwise a reference design cooler will be better.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    And that was what I was answering.

Aftermarket coolers depend on having a case with good airflow, otherwise a reference design cooler will be better.
    A card with bigger, better fans and bigger heatsinks requires better airflow than a entire closed card with 1 tiny fan?

That doesn't make sense O.o

Because it'd choke the darn thing.

any1 know rougly when the aftermarket coolers will be out i am trying to whether or not to buy 2xmsi gtx680 today or to wait a week or 2
    Intel i7 2600k | NZXT Havik 140 | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | 3x Liyama E2407HDS(5760x1080) | Intel 520 Series 120GB
    2x EVGA GTX 690 SC Signature 4096MB in SLI | 16GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2133 | CoolMaster HAF X

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Because it'd choke the darn thing.
    Exactly this. Aftermarket coolers take up more space, and require good airflow to function properly, where the reference designs use external air to cool the card over internal air.

I'm very satisfied with the initial results - now I just have to patiently await the GK110 cards to see how much larger the gap gets this generation, though I do smell either a Twin Frozr or DC 680 in my future...

---------- Post added 2012-03-22 at 12:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dudejoss View Post
    any1 know rougly when the aftermarket coolers will be out i am trying to whether or not to buy 2xmsi gtx680 today or to wait a week or 2
    Tough to tell, but I would imagine probably a month plus. The manufacturers don't have enough cards as it is right now, and they have to develop the coolers to fit the 680. If you're only talking about waiting 1-4 weeks, I'd buy now.

Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    Tough to tell, but I would imagine probably a month plus. The manufacturers don't have enough cards as it is right now, and they have to develop the coolers to fit the 680. If you're only talking about waiting 1-4 weeks, I'd buy now.
    hmmmmmm i think i will just get 2 now then thanks
    Intel i7 2600k | NZXT Havik 140 | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | 3x Liyama E2407HDS(5760x1080) | Intel 520 Series 120GB
    2x EVGA GTX 690 SC Signature 4096MB in SLI | 16GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2133 | CoolMaster HAF X

10+ Year Old Account
    Currently using a 6970 just on stock settings. Anyone know if I would see a decent gain by going to just a single 7970, or 680 when they drop?

I don't know if the performance increase would be worth the price, tbh...

OT: Is the general consensus that, if we need a GPU now, we should go ahead and buy a reference cooled card instead of waiting for aftermarket cooled cards?

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    OT: Is the general consensus that, if we need a GPU now, we should go ahead and buy a reference cooled card instead of waiting for aftermarket cooled cards?
    from what i can see yes people dont seem to be wanting to wait the 3-4 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Rickz View Post
    A card with bigger, better fans and bigger heatsinks requires better airflow than a entire closed card with 1 tiny fan?

That doesn't make sense O.o
    Reference designed coolers expel air directly in the back. Aftermarket coolers whip them about, relying on your case air flow to expell heat from the case.

What would be the aftermarket coolers that should perform the best?
    CM 690 II Advanced (USB 3.0) // Corsair AX650 // Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB // Kingston HyperX 120GB
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H WB // Intel 3570K // [HEATSINK?] // Corsair Vengeance LP 4x4GB // Sapphire Radeon 7950 3GB OC
    Dell U2312HM // Logitech Z313 // Logitech C525 // Steelseries Sensei // Steelseries Shift

Quote Originally Posted by adece View Post
    What would be the aftermarket coolers that should perform the best?
    It depends on who releases them, but generally speaking, the MSI Frozr series is widely considered to be the best pre-installed aftermarket cooler I believe.

The Twin Frozr and Asus DC-something.