Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
13
... LastLast
  1. #41
    The Lightbringer Lothaeryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maryland, U.S.
    Posts
    3,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajesto View Post
    Your right Lothaeryn, I would also like to play arena matches on a equal and consistent gearbalanced level.
    Playing world pvp and battlegrounds for fun and then rewarding the player with cosmetic gains insted of + 10 more agility is how it should be.

    Jumping into pvp at lvl one, and being able to face people with the exact same hp and the exact same stats, the only different is how they choose to build do sound awesome.
    I just fear that without any character progression at all, they game might become dull.

    Even fps games have character progression of some sort.
    Think of I this way, even if you get bored with PvP, you still have an entire half of the game to try out and explore, the PvE content so far is looking great, and there will be rewards for exploration, not to mention the few mini games that will be available as well.

    Though titles andrare armor types sound like good rewards fo you efforts in pvp though, I didn't know about the rewards there
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol
    .

  2. #42
    Mechagnome Mkalafut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    683
    I took the time to post that huge wall of text and nobody read it QQ

  3. #43
    how will they reward you? - you reward yourself, ultimately. Asking someone to give you an artificual sense of gratification through a piece of gear that only improves your character's stats...it's frankly nihilism and consumerism at it's worst. The reward, is the fun. The sense of worth from gaining an item is so short lived, and the only thing that makes you come back is the next piece...but that doesn't make the getting, ultimately, any more satisfying. Basically, you will never be satisfied by a gear treadmill.
    how will they keep the incentive? - by removing the short-lived wish fulfliment of getting gear, your able to enjoy the game on a more fundamental level.
    how is the gear obtained? - dungeons or crafted. It's cosmetic. U look cool. It tells ppl you've worked hard. U go and kill ppl/mobs looking cool.
    Whats the incentive to do world pvp 6 hours a day? - the fun.
    Whats the incentive to do battlegrounds? - bragging rights. It's all ranked. daily/monthly/yearly. Only the best get to compete. (structured pvp) WvWvW - it's epic. Simple as. I do not believe any game's pvp has been done on this scale or with this many things going on. Age of Conan is similar, but doesn't compare from what I've been told (from ppl who both like it and don't).
    Is there no way to obtain an edge on your opponent, gear wise? - well, you can optimise it better by putting the appropriate bonuses on. But that's besides the point really. "Bring the player, not the profession" is one of their slogans. And rightly so. If a player can't beat another through skill, then that beating them has little value...other than that they've probably got more time to play.
    /endrant

    p.s. please don't think that I'm criticising you at all. You clearly state that you don't necesserially like how things work in most games...this is a general post about the gear treadmill and Anet are wresting gaming back to what they should be fundamentally about: the fun of playing.
    Last edited by Squirrelbanes; 2012-01-22 at 06:40 AM.

  4. #44
    @Mkalafut
    I do agree with you, nothing is more fun then to be able to pvp from lvl 1, in world pvp where you will be a little gimped compared to 80s but still manage to do well, also being able to battlegrounds on a equal base with 80s and do the exact same damage and got the same spells as they do.
    Once you hit 80 your just as good as a guy who have been 80 for 3 months, that also gives you the incentive to level new characters, without any loss and you also can do competetive pvp right away.

    @ Pushkina
    What exactly does character progression and home instance mean?
    unique gear? based on your class then? I guess they dont make one armorpiece for every player :P trololol
    Personal storyline dont mather that much for me, lore is often meh. Its all about the pvp, balanced and competetive play.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Mkalafut View Post
    I took the time to post that huge wall of text and nobody read it QQ
    I did read it
    Be patience I am dyslexic..

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajesto View Post
    Your right Lothaeryn, I would also like to play arena matches on a equal and consistent gearbalanced level.
    Playing world pvp and battlegrounds for fun and then rewarding the player with cosmetic gains insted of + 10 more agility is how it should be.

    Jumping into pvp at lvl one, and being able to face people with the exact same hp and the exact same stats, the only different is how they choose to build do sound awesome.
    I just fear that without any character progression at all, they game might become dull.

    Even fps games have character progression of some sort.
    I would also like to add something on this. I think many people have come to equate character progression with gear/item/title/etc progression. In GW2, the progression is the world changing around you, but most of all your personal story. The personal story you go through (even after level cap if I'm not mistaken) will shape your character's unique experiences, personality, and achievements. Character progression in GW2 is, in a sense, closer to literal character progression than any other MMO out there. Except maybe SWTOR, that shit is just insane.

  7. #47
    Mechagnome Vulryth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    a nice place
    Posts
    701
    this game is not like wow where they're trying to get you to resubscribe and take more money over time, they're just making an rpg that happens to be online so you can play with other people. they even said at one point that they were thinking of removing the level system completely, but then decided not to because it would alienate people used to traditional grinding games. its not a grinding game, it just a game you play to enjoy how the people at arena net made it. its just supposed to be fun. no raids to farm for 10 weeks without getting anything, you just get to run around and do whatever. think like grand theft auto
    weeee!

  8. #48
    The fun of GW2 PvP is proving that your team is better than the other team. There are no excuses about gear or other arbitrary factors(like the other team having 60 hours a week to invest in grinding gear, renown skills, or "ranks"), when you win it's because you genuinely outplayed the other team. If that doesn't attract you then you most likely will not enjoy the game, simple as that.

    It's competition in it's purest form, and I am waiting with baited breath to see if they really stick to their guns on it.
    Last edited by oplawlz; 2012-01-22 at 06:39 AM. Reason: clarity
    Lookin for more comic/tv/game discussion? Check out nerdunderground.

  9. #49
    Mechagnome Fernling306's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    547
    With it B2P you can easily buy it and just play through the game once and be done with it. It doesn't have to be the mmo you play 20+ hours a week for years and years. B2P makes it very easy to play alongside your main mmo.

  10. #50
    Mechagnome Mkalafut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    683
    Quote Originally Posted by Pushkina View Post
    I did read it
    <333333333333

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Mkalafut View Post
    I took the time to post that huge wall of text and nobody read it QQ
    So did I <3

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajesto View Post
    What exactly does character progression and home instance mean?
    Home instances and dungeons are the only instanced parts of the game. As soon as you step into your home instance, no other players will be there unless you invite them. Within your home instance, you can do personal quests which do not involve other people (unless you desire it to be so). You will find that the society in the section of town your home instance is in will remember the things you've done for them, and possibly the things you haven't. Such effects include statues of you being raised in your honor, certain people surviving or dying due to your choices, and long-term, intriguing, fun 'quest' chains. I use the term 'quest' very lightly in this respect :P

  13. #53
    Mechagnome Mkalafut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    683
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajesto View Post
    @Mkalafut
    I do agree with you, nothing is more fun then to be able to pvp from lvl 1, in world pvp where you will be a little gimped compared to 80s but still manage to do well, also being able to battlegrounds on a equal base with 80s and do the exact same damage and got the same spells as they do.
    Once you hit 80 your just as good as a guy who have been 80 for 3 months, that also gives you the incentive to level new characters, without any loss and you also can do competetive pvp right away.

    @ Pushkina
    What exactly does character progression and home instance mean?
    unique gear? based on your class then? I guess they dont make one armorpiece for every player :P trololol
    Personal storyline dont mather that much for me, lore is often meh. Its all about the pvp, balanced and competetive play.
    Home instance is much like your hall of monuments in GW1. It's an instanced area where you can view and show off your personal achievements to yourself and others.

    Balanced and competitive PvP is what you will find in GW2. But that's certainly not all you'll find.

    ---------- Post added 2012-01-22 at 06:41 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    So did I <3
    <333333333 =] It's good to see a lot of positive posts and actual information here. Anything we can do to get more people informed about GW2 is better, definitely.

    ---------- Post added 2012-01-22 at 06:42 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by airea View Post
    Home instances and dungeons are the only instanced parts of the game. As soon as you step into your home instance, no other players will be there unless you invite them. Within your home instance, you can do personal quests which do not involve other people (unless you desire it to be so). You will find that the society in the section of town your home instance is in will remember the things you've done for them, and possibly the things you haven't. Such effects include statues of you being raised in your honor, certain people surviving or dying due to your choices, and long-term, intriguing, fun 'quest' chains. I use the term 'quest' very lightly in this respect :P
    He said it better than I.

  14. #54
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...iated.-READ-ME!

    Read my thread here and then post on the forum here if you have any specific questions. It really helps in getting common questions out of the way.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajesto View Post
    @ Pushkina
    What exactly does character progression and home instance mean?
    unique gear? based on your class then? I guess they dont make one armorpiece for every player :P trololol
    Personal storyline dont mather that much for me, lore is often meh. Its all about the pvp, balanced and competetive play.
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Home



    Dunno about classe gear.

    I think gw1 had classe gear.
    Last edited by Pushkina; 2012-01-22 at 06:49 AM.
    Be patience I am dyslexic..

  16. #56
    The Lightbringer Lothaeryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maryland, U.S.
    Posts
    3,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Mkalafut View Post
    <333333333333
    Yea I read it too Randy, now stop waving your elongated balls around
    Last edited by Lothaeryn; 2012-01-22 at 06:46 AM.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol
    .

  17. #57
    To be honest, there is alot of good discussion going on here, I was not thinking in the lines of some of you, but you get me thinking about the big picture.
    There really is a good argument that it is B2P, and normalized, which means whenever I want to play, I will never be behind.
    And once I unlock a piece, I will always have it. Good arguments, good stuff.

    @ Squirrelbanes - "well, you can optimise it better by putting the appropriate bonuses on"
    Whats that?

  18. #58
    Mechagnome Mkalafut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    683
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajesto View Post
    To be honest, there is alot of good discussion going on here, I was not thinking in the lines of some of you, but you get me thinking about the big picture.
    There really is a good argument that it is B2P, and normalized, which means whenever I want to play, I will never be behind.
    And once I unlock a piece, I will always have it. Good arguments, good stuff.

    @ Squirrelbanes - "well, you can optimise it better by putting the appropriate bonuses on"
    Whats that?
    Exactly. That's the mind set you need to be in. Need to take a few weeks off? WANT to? Go for it. When you come back you'll be good to go. You're not obligated to play if you don't want to make sure you're getting your monthly payments worth. Play and go as you please. I for one will be playing a bunch.. After 7 years of non stop Gw1 I can honestly say I'm still not bored of it.

  19. #59
    There is an information thread on almost all known aspects of Guild Wars 2 here:

    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...iated.-READ-ME!

    It's a fast read and well organized.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajesto View Post
    To be honest, there is alot of good discussion going on here, I was not thinking in the lines of some of you, but you get me thinking about the big picture.
    There really is a good argument that it is B2P, and normalized, which means whenever I want to play, I will never be behind.
    And once I unlock a piece, I will always have it. Good arguments, good stuff.

    @ Squirrelbanes - "well, you can optimise it better by putting the appropriate bonuses on"
    Whats that?
    Upgrade components are improvements that can be applied to weapons or individual pieces of armor. They confer additional benefits (such as increased attributes or effects added to attacks) while wielding that armor or weapon. Some upgrades may carry visualized effect.[1]

    Placing multiple upgrades of the same type on pieces of armor worn together will give the wearer additional, accumulating benefits. For example, a single Crest of the Legion will give a +10 bonus to intelligence, a second will add on a +20 bonus to perception, and so forth. This means that the player can accumulate armor set bonuses on any set of armor pieces, rather than having to acquire specific armor pieces in order to finish a set and gain the full set bonus as is common in most MMOs.

    Upgrade components can be crafted, bought, found or obtainable as reward. They can be replaced with another upgrade component, but cannot be salvaged from the item.[2]

    Weapon upgrades

    Upgrades to a weapon will confer various benefits and also change the appearance of the weapon, such as making a sword fiery.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •