Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajesto View Post
    To be honest, there is alot of good discussion going on here, I was not thinking in the lines of some of you, but you get me thinking about the big picture.
    There really is a good argument that it is B2P, and normalized, which means whenever I want to play, I will never be behind.
    And once I unlock a piece, I will always have it. Good arguments, good stuff.

@ Squirrelbanes - "well, you can optimise it better by putting the appropriate bonuses on"
    Whats that?
    I think he was talking about just your comp and spec, there is an unannounced trait stem that may give bonuses to certain stats I think, still a work in progress tho
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

@ Squirrelbanes - "well, you can optimise it better by putting the appropriate bonuses on" Whats that?
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Upgrade_component
    Omlech's stickied guide also details it

@ Squirrelbanes - "well, you can optimise it better by putting the appropriate bonuses on"
    Whats that?
    Not sure if they were talking about this, but I also wanted to bring up Traits.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Trait

Traits are almost like the GW2 equivalent of glyphs. There are general class based traits, and weapon based traits. You can begin acquiring them after level 15 by completing profession specific challenges across the world via PvE. These also help with character/profession customization for making your character unique. If there's one thing A-Net is good at, it's allowing players to customize their play style.

If you're wondering, I don't think they'll turn out like WoW where certain traits will be best and anyone who doesn't have a specific list of them will be a noob. I think A-Net will do a good job of making each play style of every class unique, yet balanced. They'd better after, what, 4 years? :P

So insted of having to farm every piece of a x armor set, you can use any armortype you want and still get that set bonus?
    And I guess there will be alot of different set bonuses dictated by which proffs you character has?

Its basicly a system, that together with traits makes your specc, character and spells more distinctive in the way you want them to be?

Okey my character is normalized, but I want this specc, and I want that set bonus and I want theese traits to make theese 3 spells be x more effective and focus more on using them since they fit my playstyle?
    Last edited by Ajesto; 2012-01-22 at 06:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by airea View Post
    Not sure if they were talking about this, but I also wanted to bring up Traits.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Trait

Traits are almost like the GW2 equivalent of glyphs. There are general class based traits, and weapon based traits. You can begin acquiring them after level 15 by completing profession specific challenges across the world via PvE. These also help with character/profession customization for making your character unique. If there's one thing A-Net is good at, it's allowing players to customize their play style.

If you're wondering, I don't think they'll turn out like WoW where certain traits will be best and anyone who doesn't have a specific list of them will be a noob. I think A-Net will do a good job of making each play style of every class unique, yet balanced. They'd better after, what, 4 years? :P
    It is also worth mentioning that you get them in different ways based on which classe you play.

Say a warrior have to kill stuff and elementalists seek knowledge.

---------- Post added 2012-01-22 at 07:59 AM ----------

So insted of having to farm every piece of a x armor set, you can use any armortype you want and still get that set bonus?
    And I guess there will be alot of different set bonuses dictated by which proffs you character has?
    No.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Armor
    Be patience I am dyslexic..

Quote Originally Posted by Pushkina View Post
    This looks really cool. I just hope it will be possible to rebuild the building that you at first cant save (hospital / orphanage). I dont like the thought of having a burning building in your home instance.

Its basicly a system, that together with traits makes your specc, character and spells more distinctive in the way you want them to be?

Okey my character is normalized, but I want this specc, and I want that set bonus and I want theese traits to make theese 3 spells be x more effective and focus more on using them since they fit my playstyle?
    Correct, it's not just a playstyle choice, but changing your builds/gear/traits around the situation at hand. There's no one gear or build fits all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkalafut View Post
    No. Why should there be? Would you rather beat someone on an equal playing field or have your gear do the work for you? I'd rather beat someone in a fair fight where the only thing between victory and defeat is my skill vs yours.
    Good point. I hated WoW PvP when I died because I knew that it was partially based on my opponents gear which made me rage hardcore.

At least in GW2, I know that the player was just more skilled than I :P

I think people should stop thinking of this game as like WoW or TOR, but rather like LoL but with a MMORPG format.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

That's the general idea, yea.

There are means to customize your "stats" in GW2. The difference is gear in Guild Wars doesn't scale ∞. This worked in Guild Wars 1 as well.

For example, in games such as Warcraft/TOR gear tiers effectively are access keys to the next tier of content. This has the side effect of trivializing lesser PVE content or creating disparity in PVP among competitors [very bad design] by sheer statistical increase.

One does get stronger and more skillful [literal & figurative] in GW2 all the same. The thing is one doesn't ever get to the point where auto-attack can solo raid bosses [Warcraft] through vertical scaling gear inflation. A problem MMO developers are only now trying to solve; i.e., mega-damage and item squish.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    I think people should stop thinking of this game as like WoW or TOR, but rather like LoL but with a MMORPG format.
    I agree and even ANet pretty much says that themselves:

"I like to say that GW2 controls like an MMO and has abilities like a MOBA (tools that you can use in diverse ways to adapt to changing situations), but its physical interactions are like an FPS (dodging projectiles, attacking from out of range, etc.). We are really happy with the way we were able to blend these three styles of play—and hopefully you will be too.'

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    This. It's not wow - gear. It's a changing of the whole treadmill philosophy behind an MMO. That goes for stats, competetive PVE, encounters...
    @Ajesto - please watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVrffwTyImA It's their design philosophy (manifesto)

I just see another hamster that's going to miss his gear treadmill.

Deleted
    free 2 play games are going to die anyway thats a fact

Why is why the market is growing...Please keep your posts relevant to the discussion. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-01-22 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by phlover View Post
    No, no it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ3ster View Post
    I just see another hamster that's going to miss his gear treadmill.
    That's a bit unfair tbh. He's clearly interested in what GW2 has to offer, and a bit disillusioned with the wow model. He just doesn't have the information yet.

Then it's good it's not a f2p, but b2p.

Uh and Lol says hello.
    Last edited by Pushkina; 2012-01-22 at 07:22 AM.
    Be patience I am dyslexic..

GW2 isn't a F2P game? In regards to F2P games, quite a lot of MMOs have seen MASSIVE revenue increases and playerbase increases after going F2P. Many MMOs in development have switched to the F2P model because of this.

Pointless to try and explain this to a non GW fan honestly, you need to do your own research on the game and figure out whether or not you like it. Personally I believe GW2 will revolutionize the mmo gaming industry with no trinity and no traditional quests and no other mmo seems to grasp a full concept of an original idea. I like WoW but I've been playing for 5 years, and I can honestly say the holy trinity in both this and GW1 has caused me nothing but stress. I hate it, I want it gone, FOREVER.

GW2 aims to be fun from the very start, not grind until it gets fun at the end. That is why there are no traditional raids in the game.. there doesn't really need to be. You have challenging 5 mans (please don't compare with WoW 5mans) and lots of cool open world boss fights. There will be plenty to do contrary to popular belief. Also, you'd be surprised how quickly you will grow accustomed to cosmetic instead of WoW stat based equipment system. And don't forget, GW2 equipment will still have stat's. But you can literally swap those stat's over to your new equipment set if you want to.

I went from WoW to GW in the beginning and loved it more than WoW, however Blizz put out more content due to a much larger team and the Anet devs were far too busy working on GW2 so I switched over. The cosmetic theme isn't so crazy as people think. You will still have fun playing the game. Just get rid of that WoW mindset. It's time for change - Obama!
    Last edited by Rouge Master 9000; 2012-01-22 at 07:33 AM.

F2P = Free to play. Often limits their content for non-paying players. Relies only on microtransaction.
    B2P = Buy to play. Release a full size game for a normal cost.
    P2P = Pay to play. Monthly fee for being able to play.

GW2 is a B2P game that have the option of microtransactions. They do not limit your content in any way so you have to use them instead they use them like WoW for aesthetic things.